PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Birthday

mouseketeer mom
11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
We are arriving one day prior to my DD's 13th birthday in March. We don't need tickets, and she will choose the $75.00 gift card from Disney for her celebration gift. We registered her BD, and it says we need to bring a certified copy of her birth certificate. Does this mean notarized, like from a notary public?:confused:

VWL Mom
11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Certified BC usually means an original with a raised seal.

mouseketeer mom
11-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Certified BC usually means an original with a raised seal.

Hi Neighbor! I am a former Morristown girl. Now just a few towns away! I would hate to travel with her actual birth certificate. That feels uncomfortable. I hope thats not what it means!

chrisb26
11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure which type of BC would be acceptable but I think its difficult to say right now since the promotion hasn't officially started just yet. What I would do is give Disney a call and check with them I'm sure they would be able to answer this question for you.

Polynesian Dweller
11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I would hate to travel with her actual birth certificate. That feels uncomfortable. I hope thats not what it means!
The Disney site indicates in must be the original or a certified copy. The certified would mean someone like a notary or other official would have to sign to verify that the birth certificate is real.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Actually, it has nothing to do with a notary.

A certified copy is a simply a photocopy of the original certificate that is on file at whatever state office keeps those records in your state. The state makes a copy, then "certifies" it with their seal, which, just like with notaries, is usually a raised impression made on the paper, or a special stamp of some sorts. There is only one original copy, and the state keeps that one. Any copy someone keeps in a fire safe under their bed is actually a certified copy, not the original. At least that is the case in Tennessee.

All "certified" means is that the State "certifies" that they made the copy, not you.

You should contact whatever office in your state keeps such records to get the form you need to fill out. For example, in Tennessee, its the Office of Vital Records, a part of the Department of Health. When my son was born, I filled out the form to request certified copies, enclosed the check, and got the copies back in 3 days. However, if any copy you have already is certified, that is all you need. While you may be worried about loosing it, it really doesn't matter, because the State can just mail you another certified copy.

thumperbug
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Goofy4theworld is correct. The only place to get certified copies of birth cert is from town hall..municpal center...etc where the child was born.

If the child has a passport, I would call WDW and ask if that is acceptable as proof of birthdate since when you apply for a passport you have to provide an original birth certificate. I am thinking they would have to accept a passport...think of all the folks from out of the USA. Do you think the CM at the ticket window is going to know if a document from Italy is a certified birth certificate?

I am sure there are more options for proof of birth then birth certificate.

brownie
11-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi Neighbor! I am a former Morristown girl. Now just a few towns away! I would hate to travel with her actual birth certificate. That feels uncomfortable. I hope thats not what it means!

Another Morristown link here; that's where I was born. My parents lived in Pottersville until I was about 3.

You should be able to get a certified copy from the county clerk or whoever keeps the records for the county where your daughter was born.

DisneyBabies
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
We are going to take DS to the DMV and get him a state issued ID so that: 1- We don't have to carry around a copy of his BC and 2- We don't have to wonder if we have the correct form of ID.

Mousefever
11-29-2008, 07:47 PM
1. Does a passport include date of birth?
2. Is a passport an acceptable form of ID for Disney?

Amy

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2008, 12:31 PM
1. Does a passport include date of birth?
2. Is a passport an acceptable form of ID for Disney?

Amy

A passport does indeed include the date of birth on it. Whether or not it is an acceptable form of ID for Disney, I'm not sure. My guess would be yes since (as someone mentioned previously) you have to have a birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate to get a passport. On that note, if you do not yet have a passport, you would need to request a copy of the birth certificate anyway, in which case you might just want to use that as your proof of the birth date.

handmaidenofprincesses
11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
(From the Disney Celebration FAQ's)

"Q: What kind of identification do I need to show at the gate?

A: If you're age 18 or older, proper ID would be a Driver's License, State-issued or Government-issued photo ID, or a Government-issued Passport. If you are under age 18 and don't have any of the above mentioned ID, an original or certified copy of a Birth Certificate is required. "

It looks to me as though a passport or a state issued ID card with birth date are both perfectly acceptable. Have fun!

CU Tiger
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
We only have one copy of my DDs birth certificate with the raised seal and it is a pain to get another one. She does have a passport and it is not much better get that one remade. Since a birth certificate can look like just a piece of paper and could accidently get thrown away, I think we will bring the passport and make sure we keep good track of it. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-02-2008, 06:41 AM
She has a passport, so I'm going to double check that that is ok to use. That would be perfect.

Maleficent's Dad
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
She has a passport, so I'm going to double check that that is ok to use. That would be perfect.
Passports are going to be accepted.
We will be there for DS's and DD's birthdays this coming year and when we asked, Disney told us that the Passports would more than suffice. :mickey: