PDA

View Full Version : Beers at Germany?

chefnathan
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Anyone know what beers they're serving at the beer stand in Germany, we'll be down there in a week and I'm curious!!!

Dr. Disney
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
They had either Becks or Lowenbrau and I believe one of the Spaten varieties?? It's been 2 years, sorry. Hopefully someone will come around w/ a better answer. Either way... PROST :beer:

**14 days, 9 hrs and 3 mins.. I can't wait **

huzzah4
11-24-2008, 01:39 AM
I had a question about the beers as well. I have wondered about this several times, but never think to ask. I know many areas in the US have laws that restrict the amount of alcohol in beer and many foreign beers exceed this amount. Is the beer that Germany (and the other world showcase countries for that matter) serves, the real German version, or is it the weakened American import version? I would hate to think that I am getting the good, authentic stuff when I am really just buying what I can get at any well-stocked grocery store.

Womble
11-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Can't help with which import beers are currently sold in Epcot. Sorry.

huzzah4
A few years ago the beers I bought around the World Show case were all imported.
I remember either a Japanese or Chinese beer being 5.5% alcohol which was stronger than the ones being sold in Germany.
(I was there during the Food & Wine month.)

Diz-Knee
11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I know in the past it was Beck's but I want to say our last visit was Lowenbrau that we noticed - we made comments about the old Lowenbrau commercials! "Here's to Good Friends" "Let it be Lowenbrau"! (Cheesy I know!)

chefnathan
11-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for replying. Last year at this time they had Spaten Lager, Spaten Optimator and Becks. They've had Beck's Oktoberfest in the past...

As far as the version of beers available, What Disney has is the import version available to US. Its the pasteurized beer imported to the States.

I'll post what was available when we get back.

borisfam
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
know many areas in the US have laws that restrict the amount of alcohol in beer and many foreign beers exceed this amount. Is the beer that Germany (and the other world showcase countries for that matter) serves, the real German version, or is it the weakened American import version? I would hate to think that I am getting the good, authentic stuff when I am really just buying what I can get at any well-stocked grocery store.

German lagers aren't generally stronger than American beers. In fact, many of them are lighter and some actually have less alcohol. Spaten Optimator, however, is a bit stronger doppelbock style... which isn't actually very easy to find in Germany. It's a great doppelbock, and is what we usually drink when we are there.

Here are some alcohol percentages of the beers I remember being in EPCOT last year:

Spaten Optimator: 7.2%
Lowenbrau Lager: 5.2%
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse: 5.2%
Spaten Lager: 5.0%

In comparison, Budweiser is 5.0%

Also, don't forget that beers are always cheaper the further you go inside the country and away from the lake. The cheapest beers in Germany are are located in Sommerfest, the counter service all the way inside next to the Biergarten entrance. They are usually 25-50 cents less than the beers sold at the cart out front.

Disney Lynn
11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
German lagers aren't generally stronger than American beers. In fact, many of them are lighter and some actually have less alcohol. Spaten Optimator, however, is a bit stronger doppelbock style... which isn't actually very easy to find in Germany. It's a great doppelbock, and is what we usually drink when we are there.

Here are some alcohol percentages of the beers I remember being in EPCOT last year:

Spaten Optimator: 7.2%
Lowenbrau Lager: 5.2%
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse: 5.2%
Spaten Lager: 5.0%

In comparison, Budweiser is 5.0%

Also, don't forget that beers are always cheaper the further you go inside the country and away from the lake. The cheapest beers in Germany are are located in Sommerfest, the counter service all the way inside next to the Biergarten entrance. They are usually 25-50 cents less than the beers sold at the cart out front.

IIRC, the cart price included tax and the Sommerfest price did not . . . netted out to a pfew pfennigs less at Sommerfest.

borisfam
11-27-2008, 06:19 AM
IIRC, the cart price included tax and the Sommerfest price did not . . . netted out to a pfew pfennigs less at Sommerfest.

I distinctly remember a few years back seeing the price right on the walkway being 7.75, the price at the the Bier counter being 7.50 and the price at Sommerfest at 7.25. I'm not sure if any included tax or not, but I thought it was curious that the price went down in increments of .25 the deeper we went into the country. Since then, we just always go to Sommerfest.

chefnathan
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Reporting from Disney World via my room at Port Orleans Riverside.... Currently the brews at Germany are Spaten Oktoberfest and Becks Lager. :beer:

Dr. Disney
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks Chefnathan!!! Save some for me, I'll be there Monday :thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
12-03-2008, 08:54 AM
On my last trip to Germany I got hooked on Hefe-Weisse. Let me tell you that the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse that they serve in Epcot is just as good as any I had in Germany. :beer:

But as it was stated before you have to go into the back of the pavillion to get the other beers. Only Lowenbrau and Becks are served out front.

xipetotec
12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Anyone know what beers they're serving at the beer stand in Germany, we'll be down there in a week and I'm curious!!!

If you are inside the biergarten, they serve a wider variety. Including Spaten Optimator ( omg one of my alltime favorites!! )

borisfam
12-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I think it's a roll of the dice where each of the beers will be available. We go every year at the same time in January, and Optimator has been in a different place each time. One year it was only available in the biergarten. Last year you could only get it from the bier stand out front and I remember them having it in Sommerfest a few years back. Part of the fun is tracking it down each year!

ShanPooh
12-04-2008, 11:52 PM
:beer: Eins, zwei, drei, G'suffa! :beer:
Viel spass und gute Reise!
(Cheers! Have lots of fun and a good vacation!)