PDA

View Full Version : Hate the New Dining Plan?

DisneyFr33k
11-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I have been reading many posts expressing people's like or dislike for the new dining plan.

For those of you who dislike the plan, what would be a good solution to make it better?

For me, I wonder if they could offer a way for us to cusomize our own plan? We could purchase a set number of quick service and/or table services, and pick if we have appetizers or desserts? This would give us some power over our dining experiences. Or would this become too complicated?

Also, what do you all think about a junior menu - one between child and adult? My 9 and 11 year old are prime examples. My 11 year old daughter cannot finish a child's meal completely but my 9 year old son is hungry after his child's meal, but cannot finish an adult meal.

Just wanted to hear some creative thoughts as I personally hate disliking something without thinking of a solution to make it better.

CAS
11-23-2008, 05:38 PM
That would be nice to be able to customize the plan, however I think that's contrary to its purpose. I think the reason for the plan is to #1 make money by forcing you to eat Disney food, and #2 simplify your trip. If you're able to choose how many, when and where then it just becomes another way to leave your cash in the room. There would be no incentive to keep you captive to their cuisine. :D

A junior menu sounds like a good idea as well. People have so much trouble already however (I don't know why) trying to choose from existing items that if you throw in a completely new category then I'd be afraid the counter service lines would be looooong. Great idea, but I don't know how effective it would be. I think the very nature of serving millions and millions of people a day make it hard to serve much more than the standard bugers and chicken strips they do at this point.

But I do like the changes that include counter service and snacks only. My parents won't sit down to a table to eat even if it's free (perhaps the way they were brought up, I'm not sure) so it suits them perfectly.

The plan that includes the alcohol isn't worth it to me unless you're accustomed to drinking a fairly expensive bottle of wine every night. The standard plan is perfect for us since it's exactly how we eat in the world anyway.

Tbelle1976
11-23-2008, 06:39 PM
I agree with many other posts I have ready in that Disney words everything specifically regarding the dining plan. There should be no surprises. Also, with the vast amount menus on Intercot as well as other sites you should have a fairly good idea of whether or not the plan will work for you.

As for a junior dining plan, I for one would be all for it. However, exactly what food would a junior order for this? Restaurants either have adult or children options. Just way to complicated to add junior options to menus, IMO!

henry.james.s
11-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I keep going back to the research and planning thing.Instead of making it more confusing for customers and CM's leave the plans the way they are, do your homework and simply decide if they meet your needs. Use all the online info available here and on other sites.

After reading posts in the various recent threads I would advise families who have kids in the age range that would force them to pay the adult prices not buy the regular DDP or DlxDDP at all. The only thing I see that you'll loose is the "pre-payed" benefit. Then you're free to get meals for them that they're more likely to finish, enjoy and be a better value overall.

Disney has seemed to have addressed this with the Quick Service plan for 2009. If you had this plan you can still go OOP for any TS location that you want.

Lots of choices..but again..:beat: planning!!

BMan62
11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Tell you what... If you don't like the dining plan, DON'T PURCHASE IT!!!

Simple answer to all the complaints. Buy your meal OOP and see how that works out.

Personally, DW and I really enjoy the DDP. It saves us a bit of money and we can go to some of the restaurants that we would never think of frequenting if we were paying OOP. Yes, they have made changes and have taken some of the bang out of it, but we ate WAY TOO MUCH when we took advantage of the first time they offered it gratis.

(Oh, and to those who will pipe up and say 'it was never gratis, you had to pay rack rate for the room'... We stay at a Value resort, so the DDP "free" saved us quite a bit more than any of the discounted rates for the room during that time frame would have.)

DisneyFr33k
11-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Tell you what... If you don't like the dining plan, DON'T PURCHASE IT!!!

Simple answer to all the complaints. Buy your meal OOP and see how that works out.

But our family LOVED the plan prior to the change. We tried the new plan our last trip and it didn't save us anything.

But using the on-line menus as a guide, we have already calculated that buy paying OOP we would save over the new DDP.

Our children are the age that the adult menu for each doesn't make sense - food and cost wise. We aren't big eaters and even DH and I had trouble eating our portions.

Just food for thought (forgive the pun)!

henry.james.s
11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
But our family LOVED the plan prior to the change. We tried the new plan our last trip and it didn't save us anything.

But using the on-line menus as a guide, we have already calculated that buy paying OOP we would save over the new DDP.

Our children are the age that the adult menu for each doesn't make sense - food and cost wise. We aren't big eaters and even DH and I had trouble eating our portions.

Just food for thought (forgive the pun)!

I have to ask and it would be wrong to think I'm being trying to be confrontational in any way...
But If you knew prior to buying the new plan that you weren't going to save anything, your kids are barely in that age range where they have to be on the adult plan AND you and your DH can't finish your meals..WHY DID YOU BUY IT?

I'm really trying to understand what the "bottom line" reason was. :confused:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
The menu options for a junior would be great for us as we are in that same boat. My 10 year old loves adult food but doesn't eat enough quantity to justify the DDP for us now.

As for a junior menu it wouldn't be that difficult to offer a larger portion of the kids meal or a "lunch" size portion of an adult meal. It would be the same food so no additional food choices. Just order off of the child's or regular menu and say junior size? On the menu state a flat $$ amount increase on the kids and a similar decrease for adults to junior size it.

Just my opinion but I hate to waste food or money.

princessesmom
11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I understand that people aren't happy about having to pay adult prices for their 10 year olds. On our last trip my oldest was 10 and it didn't make sense for us to purchase the plan, it really wouldn't have saved us any money. For our upcoming trip she is 13 and my next daughter is 11. Both can eat a lot of food and would want to order from an adult menu not the children's menu. My two younger children are happy to order from the children's menu. I priced it out and it will save us about $250 this time to go with the basic plan. So we are getting it for this trip.

My point is this - if it doesn't make sense money wise, just don't get the plan. Eat where you want to eat and pay for it. If your older child prefers to order from the children's menu, I believe they can still do this. Of course if you are eating at a buffet or family style restaurant they will still be charged as an adult. I think it just complicates things to put in another level of pricing. And most likely if they did this they would have to increase the adult price to make it all work.

There has to be some sort of cut off between children's and adult's pricing, no matter where they put it some people will not be happy. It is what it is.

Seasonscraps
11-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I was reading one of the complaint threads last night and was trying to think of ways to make the DDP better but there really is no way.

Disney is not going to create a new menu category for juniors - what will it be half portions of adult meals or larger portions of kids meals? Both? What ages would this apply to? If your child falls into the category of adult meal plan with a child sized appetite - pay for their meal out of pocket and use the extra adult credit towards signature dining or a show. Ten years old is the cutoff across the board for park tickets & meals - it's just easier to keep that consistant.

The appetizer/dessert war is not cost effective for Disney. Disney makes a lot more money on a slice of cake compared to an appetizer they need to cook - they are not going to go back to that without drastically increasing prices.

Customizing the plan to how many TS, CS, snacks etc that you need seems overly complicated - how will it be priced? xx$ for each type of meal that is pooled together? It would probably end up being the same or close to the same cost as OOP. I don't see the benefit unless giving Disney your money to hang onto months in advance while reaping no real savings is beneficial in some way.

I wouldn't mind if they included a resort mug to every person that is on the dining plan - not just the CS plan or the DDDP. It doesn't cost Disney much but guests would like it.

I think it stinks that the one time it feels like Disney listened to complaints (too much food, prepaying tips resulting in decrease service, etc) they found yet another way for people to pay more for less. But then Disney is a business first.

DisneyFr33k
11-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I have to ask and it would be wrong to think I'm being trying to be confrontational in any way...
But If you knew prior to buying the new plan that you weren't going to save anything, your kids are barely in that age range where they have to be on the adult plan AND you and your DH can't finish your meals..WHY DID YOU BUY IT?

I'm really trying to understand what the "bottom line" reason was. :confused:

My point for the post was not have to defend why I dislike the plan, but to see if any others that might feel the same way have some creative alternative ideas.

However, since many want to challege why I purchased this new plan, I can oblige.

First of all, I didn't develop a hatrid for the plan and then decide to purchase it! Why would I do that?! However, we had purchased the dining plan for years before with pretty decent savings. Therefore, even though I knew the plans changes, I decided we'd try it before throwing stones.

During this trip, like the others, I saved all my receipts and calculated everything to the penny to see if the savings were worth it. They always have been good savings with the exception of this past trip. So my opinions are based entirely on the results of those numbers as well as the quantity of food.

And, your comment about my children - this trip was a first with our 11 year old eating from the adult menu. Before with the kids menus, it didn't seem like too much food. HUGE difference once they are required to order from the adult menu. Plus, my DH is a "cleaner-upper" - he hates to see food waste. With my 11 year old barely making a dent, it was extra painful for him this past year. So to us, the quantity of food has just now become an issue.

We've learned a lot and will adjust next trip.

Hope this makes sense. Confrontational? Maybe a little... ;)

DisneyFr33k
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I think it stinks that the one time it feels like Disney listened to complaints (too much food, prepaying tips resulting in decrease service, etc) they found yet another way for people to pay more for less. But then Disney is a business first.

Good points above. You've put a lot of thought into the in's and out's of the plan. I especially like your last comment above. That is what I have been feeling - since enjoying the old plan so much and after trying the new.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I realize for the consumer it might seem like a good idea to be able to customize your plan and pay extra if you want appetizers and tips included, have a junior plan etc....but what a nightmare for the servers and management.....Imagine you are a busy server and you have 8 tables....each table is on a different plan, the server has to stop look up what they're on what's included etc....those ADR's that are hard to get now, will be impossible because it takes twice as long to serve a table because you have to take the time out to figure out what exactly they are supposed to get....just something to think about...and yes the dining plan isn't perfect, but I know exactly what I paid for and I will not complain for getting what I paid for...

DisneyFr33k
11-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, I realize for the consumer it might seem like a good idea to be able to customize your plan and pay extra if you want appetizers and tips included, have a junior plan etc....but what a nightmare for the servers and management.....Imagine you are a busy server and you have 8 tables....each table is on a different plan, the server has to stop look up what they're on what's included etc....those ADR's that are hard to get now, will be impossible because it takes twice as long to serve a table because you have to take the time out to figure out what exactly they are supposed to get....just something to think about...

I agree. It would be too much for anyone to keep up with. Just brainstorming though....

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-24-2008, 02:16 PM
One thing that might be doable, is to give parents a choice on whether their 10 or 11 year old should be able to be on the adult or child plan, but that's about the only option that I think would be easy to do....a junior plan might be too tough to do

offwego
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Personally the thing that keeps me from purchasing it is the forced desserts. If it was a either app or dessert I'd go back right away.

And my 13 year old eats his and mine so I'm fine with the way it is.

henry.james.s
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
My point for the post was not have to defend why I dislike the plan, but to see if any others that might feel the same way have some creative alternative ideas.

However, since many want to challege why I purchased this new plan, I can oblige.

First of all, I didn't develop a hatrid for the plan and then decide to purchase it! Why would I do that?! However, we had purchased the dining plan for years before with pretty decent savings. Therefore, even though I knew the plans changes, I decided we'd try it before throwing stones.

During this trip, like the others, I saved all my receipts and calculated everything to the penny to see if the savings were worth it. They always have been good savings with the exception of this past trip. So my opinions are based entirely on the results of those numbers as well as the quantity of food.

And, your comment about my children - this trip was a first with our 11 year old eating from the adult menu. Before with the kids menus, it didn't seem like too much food. HUGE difference once they are required to order from the adult menu. Plus, my DH is a "cleaner-upper" - he hates to see food waste. With my 11 year old barely making a dent, it was extra painful for him this past year. So to us, the quantity of food has just now become an issue.

We've learned a lot and will adjust next trip.

Hope this makes sense. Confrontational? Maybe a little... ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Last thought on your story..
IMO with all your experience using the DDP along with the resources available here and other sites you didn't really have to "try it out" to arrive at your answer.

I hope your next trip is a better one!!
I'll be there one week from RIGHT NOW!!
Have a GREAT HOLIDAY!!

betteratmk
11-24-2008, 03:07 PM
We have always thought a junior plan would be good as well, many restaurants have that option now. it really doesnt have to be that difficult for Disney. If they priced it for the 9-12 year old set in between childs price and adult. The options don't even have to be extensive, abigger portion of the regular kids meal or ahalf portion of a few adult offered items such as pasta that are already being prepared. much like a senior offering!!

DisneyFr33k
11-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Last thought on your story..
IMO with all your experience using the DDP along with the resources available here and other sites you didn't really have to "try it out" to arrive at your answer.

I hope your next trip is a better one!!
I'll be there one week from RIGHT NOW!!
Have a GREAT HOLIDAY!!

Thanks. I am one to try things first before criticizing - especially since we've enjoyed it so much in the past. I did look at all the resources on line. I was kind of hoping all the changes didn't make such a difference. Oh well!!

I hope you have a fantastic trip next week and a wonderful Thanksgiving! Let us know how the dining goes!!

Marceline
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the solution to the issue is to simply eat where you want to eat. The only advantage to the DDP is that is is prepaid. So, "prepay" it figuratively and set a budget then set it aside. Plan your trip, make your ADR's and order what you want to order when you are there. Place your order based on hunger and budget.

It's simple really.:thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I think the solution to the issue is to simply eat where you want to eat. The only advantage to the DDP is that is is prepaid. So, "prepay" it figuratively and set a budget then set it aside. Plan your trip, make your ADR's and order what you want to order when you are there. Place your order based on hunger and budget.

It's simple really.:thumbsup:

Well said! That sums it up well!

Insanity Clause
11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
One thing I think they should do is make it so that when you purchase the dining plan children under 12 get the children's plan. I think 10 is was too young to have to buy the adult version. I know my 10 year old has no hope of finishing an adult meal. Or at least make it an option...

brian2000boston
11-26-2008, 02:23 PM
This is all about money, not about what is right or fair. The bottom line is, we all love Disney but they are a business with shareholders who want $$$. If the plan isnt worth it to you because your child eats less then what you are provided on the plan or you feel the kids meals will save you money, then maybe it is best to book Disney without the DDP.