PDA

View Full Version : Packing for Christmas

gloriaring
11-23-2008, 06:01 AM
My DH surprised me with a 10 day stay at Pop for Christmas! :D We usually go in Sept and this year we could not work it out, I thought we would just have to miss a year but then he surprised me with this! He had even made all the ADR's. Sweetest man ever!!
My question is what to pack for clothing? Shorts, capris, pants? Should we bring swinsuits for the children. I am so confused and SO excited! We are already wearing sweaters here in WV and I have never been south after Sept. Thank you for your help!

Jeff
11-23-2008, 07:46 AM
My family often goes over the Christmas Holiday week. We have experienced everything from low 80 degree weather to below freezing temps. Dry and sunny to pouring rain (one new years eve a few years back).

My advice. Pack for expecting both extremes but hope for very nice high 60's to low 70's temps.

As far as the swim suits go, if my daughter and her friends provide any clue, kids will swim in any temp. Bring the suits

Strmchsr
11-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree with Jeff that packing for both extremes used to be the best advice. However, given today's baggage surcharges and limits I'm not sure that's as feasable anymore. Though it is possible you could see highs 50-80 during your trip things are running cooler than normal so far this year. The best thing I could say is check the weather forecast thread at the top of this forum and base your packing on what the weather looks like for your specific dates instead of December weather in general.

iheartdisney
11-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Your husband IS the sweetest man ever! Lucky you!

Prepare for everything (meaning make sure a good variety is clean and ready to pack). I'm not sure how soon you start packing but if I'm extra organized before a trip I'll lay out all of the suitcases in our bedroom and pack as I wash throughout the week(s), packing essentials and basics - things I KNOW we'll need, including a few "cold weather" or "hot weather" outfits. A few days before we leave (of course I've been checking out the 10 day forcasts on the weather channel online for weeks now) I check Disney's 10 day forcast and load up on whatever the weather calls for because by now I have the basics, I just need to make sure I have plenty of what we'll probably need. And remember, while it's not ideal, you can always throw a load in the washer if you're desperate during the trip - or get a new Mickey sweatshirt or shorts! Happy packing! And have a wonderful time - what a beautiful way to celebrate the holidays!

goofygirl67
11-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Last couple of years for early December I wore shorts/tee shirts during the day and pants/jackets at night. Right now just north of Disney by 2 hours, it's in the just 50 but might hit 60.

Meteora
11-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Definitely check the weather forecast, but I would recommend bringing layers--a bunch of tee shirts, a few sweaters, maybe one or two long sleeves, a pair of long pants, a pair of capris. A windbreaker, if you have one (a lined windbreaker would be even better), and one slightly heavier jacket (this might be the jacket you wear to the airport, if it's cold where you are). Also, I would recommend one hat and pair of gloves for each person. And definietly bring a swimsuit also.

It'll be fine as long as you don't mind possibly having to re-wear some of the clothes. One year when we went it was freezing, so I alternated between my two long-sleeves shirts under a sweater every day. one of the things that can happen in December is that it can start out being in the 40s or 50s around 7-8 am, hence the hat and gloves.

kakn7294
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with Strmchsr - check the weather forecast and plan accordingly but throw in a bit of everything. You might need anything from shorts and t-shirts to jeans/sweats/pants and sweatshirts/sweaters. Plan to wear layers as the temps can vary greatly throughout the day. They can have highs in the low 80's and lows in the upper 30's. 2 yrs ago, it was 45º on Friday night at 8:30p when we watched Candlelight Processional and already 82º when we left the resort the next morning at 10a to return home.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
That's awesome! We will also be there at Pop Century for 10 days during Christmas, maybe we'll bump into each other....

We've been the week after Christmas 2005 and the week after New Years 2003....I would suggest clothes that you can layer...very often it is cool in the morning and then warms up during the day...if you plan to attend Illuminations, wishes or Fantasmic, it can be quite cold especially around the water....my son always swims because the pools are heated so it wouldn't hurt to pack a swimsuit...we usually bring jeans, athletic pants, short sleeve t-shirts, hoodies, etc....