PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from the WL

Tinkerbellfan
11-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just returned from a chilly week of weather at WDW. Actually, the days were warm but the mornings and nights were chilly. We stayed at the WL, went to the MVMCP and did the deluxe dinning plan.

Does anyone have any questions for me?

JerseyMouse
11-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I see from your sig that you have stayed at WL a few times, what advice could you give to a potenital first timer as DW and I are considering WL for November 2009?? We are familiar with the resort as we eat once a trip at Artist Point.

Any insight would be great! It would just be my wife and myself, we have no children.

I just got back from POR, and yes, it was a tad chilly, huh?? Still Disney, though, and we had a blast!

jonsmom
11-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just returned from a chilly week of weather at WDW. Actually, the days were warm but the mornings and nights were chilly. We stayed at the WL, went to the MVMCP and did the deluxe dinning plan.

Does anyone have any questions for me?

Tinkerbell Fan

When you say chilly? I bet you don't mean as chilly as it is today?

Seriously what were the temps? We are going in December and I am a little worried about the cold.

Thanks!

disneystockholder
11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I was just there last week of Oct and boy it was chilly. Pretty rare, really I usually go around Sept and it was always nice. We did Oct because of the Not So Scarry halloween. What a blast I would recommend it to anyone. :mickey:

disneystockholder
11-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Dec isn't bad we did a Christmas visit in 05 and it was ok. it was around 55 to 60 most days, water rides are something you might want to think about. The cold spell in Oct was due to the big front that came down thru all of the southern states around that time. It is usually around 80 degrees or so in Oct. I used to live in Florida and the Dec weather goes up and down but plan on taking a jacket for the evenings, if you don't need it you can leave it in the room.
hope this helps:blush:

Tinkerbellfan
11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Tinkerbell Fan

When you say chilly? I bet you don't mean as chilly as it is today?

Seriously what were the temps? We are going in December and I am a little worried about the cold.

Thanks!

It was cold for Florida - but, now that I am back in Boston, I am realizing cold is all relative. Also, we went in December last year and had much warmer weather!

The days were fine - 63 to 69. We laid out by the pool every day and I actually got tons of color.

But, in the morning it was as cold as 40 and by late night in the parks - 10 to 11p, it was in the mid-40s. Plus, it was very windy. We dressed in layers when heading to the parks in the morning. And, I wore gloves, a hat and a coat every night. It was unusually cold during our trip - the WL even had to cover up its buffalo and geese made out of trees.

But, at the same time, the colder weather put us in the Christmas mood - especially considering our first night we went the Christmas party and since we woke up on Thursday with the great surprise of the WL having a complete make-over overnight by putting up all of its Christmas decorations - that was truly magical.

My advice is to bring several outfits for all different types of weather. And, other than not riding splash mountain, the cold didn't even come close to ruining our trip!

Tinkerbellfan
11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I see from your sig that you have stayed at WL a few times, what advice could you give to a potenital first timer as DW and I are considering WL for November 2009?? We are familiar with the resort as we eat once a trip at Artist Point.

Any insight would be great! It would just be my wife and myself, we have no children.

I just got back from POR, and yes, it was a tad chilly, huh?? Still Disney, though, and we had a blast!

Hello,

We are a party of just two adults too. My boyfriend and I stayed at the POR a few years back. We really enjoyed the resort until we made the decision to stay at the WL. Now, there is no going back to the moderates for us.

I can't recommend WL enough - we have a wonderfully relaxing time every time we stay there. And, it is a very romantic resort between the hot tubs and cozy fireplaces on several of the floors. Since our first trip to WL, we tried one other resort - AKL and the entire time we wished we stayed at the WL.

This past trip is the first time we didn't pay for a courtyard view. We requested a room on the highest floor possible facing Magic Kingdom. We ended up in room 5028 and had a wonderful view of the fireworks each night. If we went out on our balcony, we could air the music from Magic Kingdom. The only down side to this room is during an afternoon nap one day, I couldn't fall asleep due to the boat horns. That being said, going forward, I don't think I would pay for a courtyard view as we really enjoyed our woods view.

The WL put up is Christmas decorations up on 11/20 this year. I would highly recommend scheduling your trip around this time so you can see the WL in all of its glory. The Christmas decorations are breath-taking.

And, make sure you take advantage of the pool area and the hot tubs at night. We also rented a surrey bike one day and drove over to the Fort Wilderness. This was one of the highlights of the trip for me as we can in a few feet of about 12 deer - including a few babies on our ride over to Fort Wilderness.

Also, with the WL, you are a short boat ride away from all of the monorail resorts and their dining options. Unlike with the POR, we felt we had tons of dining options.

Overall, I highly recommend the WL. I don't think you will be disappointed in your decision. It truly is a grand resort. The only problem is once you try it, you may have a hard time going back to a moderate.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Dawneeeey
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip!! I have been to the World in December, and to them it was a little chilly. To us it was fantastic!!! While we were there Boston got like 3 feet of snow. :mickey:

kemps@wdw
11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Hope you had a great time! How could you not at this beautiful resort. Question...I've read that the WL had a pool refurb. Have asked around, but haven't recieved confirmation or any recent pics. What about it? Thanks, in advance!

Figaro0826
11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
How did you like the deluxe dining plan?

We considering doing it on our upcoming trip, since the resteraunts we like are considered table dining instead of counter service.

BeccaO
11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
We will be staying at the WL for a week in January. We have been going in January the past few years and we have stayed at GF. After our last stay this past January we decided to try something different, we were a little dissapointed. So, we narrowed it down to Poly and WL and ultimately chose the WL. We also decided to go with the dining plan this time, we have never done this before. I am totally at a loss for where to request a room. We love being able to hear all the sounds of the MK and the boats and all that good stuff, any advice? We have reservations at Whispering Canyon, we have never gone there either, this will be a trip of firsts for us!!!!

Tinkerbellfan
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Hope you had a great time! How could you not at this beautiful resort. Question...I've read that the WL had a pool refurb. Have asked around, but haven't recieved confirmation or any recent pics. What about it? Thanks, in advance!

Hello,

I have stayed at the WL before this trip and didn't notice anything new about the pool area. The pool area is still beautiful but I didn't notice any changes.

Tinkerbellfan
11-24-2008, 06:36 PM
How did you like the deluxe dining plan?

We considering doing it on our upcoming trip, since the resteraunts we like are considered table dining instead of counter service.

We decided to do the deluxe dining plan because we like to eat at a lot of the signature restaurants. I had been warned about the DDDP offering a lot of food but I had no idea what I had gotten us into.

We saved TONS of money with the DDDP but we gained a lot of weight. Normally, I wouldn't use a table service coupon on breakfast but we found if we have a 3 course meal for lunch at 12p, we were still full for dinner at 7p. So, we ended up using 3 coupons for breakfast.

We also ended up using several of our snacks on muffins for breakfast. And, we used many of our snack credits for gifts for back home like create your own rice crispy treats or princesses chocolate.

I would recommend the DDDP but recommend trying a few of the signature restaurants as 3 meals a day was just too much. CG and Narcoossees are especially good values.

Tinkerbellfan
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
We will be staying at the WL for a week in January. We have been going in January the past few years and we have stayed at GF. After our last stay this past January we decided to try something different, we were a little dissapointed. So, we narrowed it down to Poly and WL and ultimately chose the WL. We also decided to go with the dining plan this time, we have never done this before. I am totally at a loss for where to request a room. We love being able to hear all the sounds of the MK and the boats and all that good stuff, any advice? We have reservations at Whispering Canyon, we have never gone there either, this will be a trip of firsts for us!!!!

We had room 5028 and had a great view. We requested a "room facing the magic kingdom as high as possible" and ended up this room. The rooms go down from there so I would recommend any room from 5028 to 5000.

PlutoPlanet
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
How did you like the Concierge level service? Was it work the money? What are the best features of the Concierge level?
Thanks.

Tinkerbellfan
11-26-2008, 11:43 AM
How did you like the Concierge level service? Was it work the money? What are the best features of the Concierge level?
Thanks.

We did the concierge level our last trip, not this trip. We really enjoyed it. We were two parties that trip. The lounge was a great meeting place or if one party was up first in the morning - a great place to grab breakfast. We really enjoyed the food and beverages offering. I love lattes so the latte machine was a huge bonus. It was also great to have the help with pre-planning. I just sent e-mails and everything was done for me - no waiting on the phone for a long time.

But, I wouldn't do the concierge level with the Deluxe Dining Plan - way too much good. We wouldn't have enjoyed the concierge offerings since we were alway full from the DDDP.

Jillirose
11-27-2008, 12:56 PM
We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time. Any room recommendations? I was thinking about facing the Magic Kingdom, for lights/fireworks or maybe with an electrical boat parade view. We stayed at the the Beach Club last time and faced the Boarwalk - priceless view every night. :thumbsup:

Suz36
11-28-2008, 09:30 PM
We also ended up using several of our snacks on muffins for breakfast. And, we used many of our snack credits for gifts for back home like create your own rice crispy treats or princesses chocolate.

Are the princess chocolates create your own or just a box of chocolates? Did you get those at the WL? We are at the WL in Feb-64 days and counting! Did you eat at Roaring Forks for breakfast at all? I want to make sure their offerings are enough to feed my big breakfast eaters.

Tinkerbellfan
11-29-2008, 08:47 AM
We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time. Any room recommendations? I was thinking about facing the Magic Kingdom, for lights/fireworks or maybe with an electrical boat parade view. We stayed at the the Beach Club last time and faced the Boarwalk - priceless view every night. :thumbsup:

I believe you are talking about two different types of rooms here. The woods view facing MK will allow you to see the fireworks while a courtyard view will allow you to see the electrical parade. I would recommend asking for a the room on the highest floor possible. If you have a woods view, request one facing MK. We really enjoyed our room 5028.

Tinkerbellfan
11-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Are the princess chocolates create your own or just a box of chocolates? Did you get those at the WL? We are at the WL in Feb-64 days and counting! Did you eat at Roaring Forks for breakfast at all? I want to make sure their offerings are enough to feed my big breakfast eaters.

The princess chocolate and make your own candies were at Goofies Candy at DTD - worth a trip for the snack credits alone. The rice crispie treats are great.

We didn't go to Roaring Folks for a big breakfast - only muffins and yogurt. But, I know they have a pancakes and those types of breakfast foods. Whispering Canyon also has a great breakfast menu.

Grumpys Crew
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi! I was wondering--you said you were in room 5028? Did you have a full/regular balcony? The reason I ask is that the top floor rooms have a very small balcony, with a solid guard rail that you have to stand to see through. So, i think there are probably 6-floors on that lower wing and you were under the overhang of the top floor? Thanks for the info, We really love the WL!!

Tinkerbellfan
12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi! I was wondering--you said you were in room 5028? Did you have a full/regular balcony? The reason I ask is that the top floor rooms have a very small balcony, with a solid guard rail that you have to stand to see through. So, i think there are probably 6-floors on that lower wing and you were under the overhang of the top floor? Thanks for the info, We really love the WL!!

I believe we had a full-size balcony - I didn't remember it being any smaller than the previous balconies at our rooms at the WL. But, then again, we have stayed at the WL concierge 2 of our stays which are on the top floor.