PDA

View Full Version : what kind of snacks do you bring?

mattandmandy
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
One week from today we will be on the road on our way to WDW! So this weekend we are doing all of our last minute shopping for the trip. I wanted to know what yall bring in the parks for snacks/lunch. Maybe yall might have good ideas I hadn't thought of. I remember one year I brought some snacks that got crushed in our bag since I didn't pack them up good. We have 2 toddler boys and sometimes if they start to have a meltdown a snack will keep them happy. I've received some much good information from this board I know this is the place to get a good suggestions! Thanks!!

pink
11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Fruit snacks, granola bars, rice krispie treats, chip, lot's of gum. :mickey:

tinklover
11-21-2008, 06:59 PM
When we went in June we took princess fruit snacks and Granola bars and we had big freezer bags with Gold fish and Pretzels in them for us all to share while in line.

kakn7294
11-21-2008, 09:14 PM
We don't take anything now, but when my girls were little, we varied between graham crackers, fruit snacks, mini pretzels, goldfish crackers, and Cheerios. We also took a sippy cup that we could fill with milk, juice, or water throughout the day.

dolphinmickey9170
11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello......we take goldfish crackers, pbutter or cheese crackers (ritz bitz) or the sandwich kind, cereal bars, granola bars, gum, fruit snacks, and a small lunch cooler with frozen bottles of water, juice and diet pepsi.:mickey:

Disneyfun
11-21-2008, 10:20 PM
My choice for snacks have always been the walmart smiley brand fruit snacks (I don't think there is one bit of fruit in them, but I like them!), granola bars (don't take the chocolate covered ones - bad idea in FL), and a 2 pound bag of Twizzlers! I don't do gum because I can't stand it when it loses the flavor and I'ld be constantly spitting it out and popping a new one in.

It's not a snack, well not to most, but I ussually pack a couple of sandwiches and put them on top of frozen bottles of water or caprisuns so that the mayo doesn't kill me! Hits the spot when I'm tempted to go spend $8 on a hamburger!

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
We always bring our own bottled water and refill them in the park water fountains...snacks that don't make too big of a mess if they spill out in your bag are good, like cereal bars and Granola Bars and like another poster said, if you have little kids you can't go wrong with Goldfish snacks....

Tbelle1976
11-22-2008, 11:31 AM
We always bring granola bars, gold fish crackers, pretzels & fruit snacks. Kids are a little older now (7&10), so we probably won't do the fruit snacks this year.

When mine were toddlers any kind of little "finger snacks" would usually keep them occupied. (unless we went into a store where they had a fit if we didn't buy them something, then I think nother would satisfy them!)

Tbelle1976
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM
then I think nother would satisfy them!)

...and I also apparently cannot spell :D

thumperbug
11-22-2008, 02:51 PM
we usually do the same in the snack area. Cereal bars are good, goldfish...nothing that can melt. We also hit the dollar store before a trip and a small cooler bag and ice pack. We stick small water bottles or ice in them. Since they are cheap its not big deal if they get lost or we have no room to take them home.

When we pack our suitcase to go to WDW we usually put the snacks in a plastic container to keep from getting crushed and the going home put in breakable souveniors

iheartdisney
11-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Mini cereal boxes of cheerios, froot loops (is that really how you spell it?), etc. are always a favorite with my boys. And may I suggest.....pack only enough for the first few days of your trip? We've found that once we get there, using one of our snack credits for a bag of Mickey pretzles would last a couple days. Even if you're not on the meal plan the kids meals often have portable fruit or crackers that can be used later in the day for a snack. It's just that by the middle of the trip our boys had NO interest in snacks they were used to at home AND there is such an abundance of food at mealtime snacking could easily be handled with leftovers, or as I said before, a bag of Mickey pretzles. I started this after bringing home 1/2 our snacks every trip. Oh - and bring a handful of ziploc bags. I stick a few in my backpack and use them to tote leftover food or to split up a bag of chips/pretzles/popcorn, etc. Have fun!

bkfree
11-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Now that mine are 7 and 9, I do not take anything. Free at Last, Free at Last:blush:

When they were younger-From home Goldfish crackers and frosted cheerios and tootsie pops. In the parks I also would buy one of those bags of mickey Head pretzels and other mult serving snacks and stashed some ziplock bags to dole out individual servings when needed.
We are not gum chewers either.

I can unabashedly say that I am so glad that I do not have to cart anything in the snack arena to the parks and we love the SC the DDP gives us. We are not really big snackers, so this works just great for us.

mattandmandy
11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all of yalls ideas. My kids are 2 and 3 so I have a feeling that they will have snack type food left from their meals...and could definately share some pretzels.

"DISNEYFUN": I was at Walmart yesterday and saw the smiley "fruit" snacks you mentioned. I bought them and DH said "what are those?!?" Anyway, I'm sure the kids will enjoy them.

Thanks for the advice about taking extra ziplocks in my bag. I would have probably not have thought of something simple like that. We also have some non melting candy left from Halloween like dum-dums I figure I can hide away in case nothing else will please them and we are in a position with no place to go.

Any other ideas will still be appreciated! We leave Thanksgiving night!!!

bkfree
11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes, even though mine are older and I don't cart snacks around, I still stash a few ziplocks on me. Even a small popcorn is alot and they do not mind splitting it between them. This way they get to try a lot more different things.

And tootsie pops are one Item I buy in bulk from Sams and always have a few on me.

Tink#64
11-24-2008, 11:08 PM
We too pack alot of the snacks previously mentioned. I alternate most mornings with ceral bars & granola bars, we're not big breakfast eaters, (we don't do the meal plan & we eat breakfast in the room) so after an hour or so in the parks we're all ready for something small to hold us over til lunch! The protein in these keeps us going! We also like to take Slim Jims! A little more filling than just the candy & crackers! Another good sweet treat choice for us is Sweet Tarts! I always buy a couple of the big variety bags of the chewy type & they don't melt or crumble! We also carry our water bottles every day & I take along some of the drink packets that you can our into your bottled water for something different!

Wishes for a magical trip! :magic:

mudpuppysmom
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Often times I find that the adults enjoy the snacks just as much as the kids do.....and ask for them more often!:secret:

We generally take water bottles (frozen hopefully from the top of our room fridge), granola bars, pretzels (in a hard sided small container b/c they get crushed otherwise), and the ever popular fruit snacks. This is what we take to the parks.

In our room we also have fruit throughout the week (apples, bananas, peaches, grapes) and I get bread and PB and Jelly and we make sandwiches in the room sometimes -- depends on what I feel like buying when I get to the store when we arrive!

My son's middle name is "Can I have a snack", so we usually have a few different items to choose from!

ShanPooh
12-05-2008, 12:28 AM
My son's middle name is "Can I have a snack", so we usually have a few different items to choose from!

:silly:

That made me think of my daughter's call: "Hey-Mommy-I-hungee"

DisneyPrincess21
12-05-2008, 09:36 PM

HAHA, That reminds me of my 11yr old niece. That kid eats all day long and still is hungry. All day long "I'm hungry! what is there to eat? can I have a snack? I'm starrrrving!" And yet she is a twig! I think she has a tapeworm, j/k. :D I think I will talk to her dad about changing her middle name from Marie to "can I have a snack" HAHA that's a good one

thumperbug
12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
my son is almost 7. He is quite small for his age...weighs only about 42-45 lbs and can eat 4 times his weight in food. If you left him at the kitchen table..he would eat alllll day.

He has breakfast...an hour later wants a snack...if he sees you eating he wants something. I am not complaining as I see how hard it is on parents with young ones who won't eat.

So, yea...mega amounts of snacks come with us. We try to bring something that will make him thirsty to snack on so we can get him to drink more fluids....and some times us grownups dip into the snacks ourselves.