PDA

View Full Version : May need to change ressies-borrowed points

MickeyMousse
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I was on hold with DVC for the last 10 minutes...maybe I'll get my answer quicker by posting here!
I booked a trip for 2/09 and borrowed points from the 2009 use year. Now I might have to cut my trip in half. Where do those borrowed points go? Do I have to rebook those points immediately for another trip or are they given back to the use year? Or are they wasted?

Thanks!

lockedoutlogic
11-21-2008, 03:10 PM
as long as you change outside of the 30 day window your points will go back to where they came from....

I believe....99% sure.....it doesn't matter whether they're banked or borrowed. I don't believe there is any restriction on this situation

ThanxForNoticin
11-21-2008, 03:25 PM
If you borrowed points from your 2009 use year to do a trip in your 2008 use year, those points are now permanently in your 2008 use year. If you change your reservation and don't need all those points, the extra points will go back into your 2008 use year. That means you'll have until the end of your current use year to use them or lose them. Once you borrow, you cannot 'bank' them back to their original use year. I hope that helps. It might not be what you want to hear, but that's how the borrowing works.

MickeyMousse
11-21-2008, 03:34 PM
When I booked in September, I used the rest of my 2008 points for the 2/09 trip plus borrowed 81 points from the 2009 use year. We are still going, just might have to cut it down by a few days, so I would be sure to use what I had from 2008. The balance of unused borrowed 2009 points can go back? I am sure we will be going back next Fall.

ThanxForNoticin
11-21-2008, 03:42 PM
When I booked in September, I used the rest of my 2008 points for the 2/09 trip plus borrowed 81 points from the 2009 use year. We are still going, just might have to cut it down by a few days, so I would be sure to use what I had from 2008. The balance of unused borrowed 2009 points can go back? I am sure we will be going back next Fall.

Unless I'm not understanding your situation correctly, I don't think you can do what you want. If you borrowed 81 points from your 2009 use year, those points are now part of your 2008 use year. If you change your reservations and don't need all the points, the unused 'borrowed' points will have to be used by the end of your 2008 use year, or you will lose them. Hopefully, you will get in touch with Member Services to get the details.

MickeyMousse
11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Member Services explained it: whatever points I don't use I need to rebook with by November 30th or I will lose them. So if I shorten my February trip by 3 days, I need to rebook that point amount by the 30th.

Now I need to quickly decide if it's all worth it or not!

Thanks for all the input!

ThanxForNoticin
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Depending on what you are planning for February, instead of losing the points, perhaps you can at least use them to upgrade your accomodations. Maybe you can use them to splurge on a 1BR instead of a studio. It's an unfortunate situation for you, but with some creative thinking you might be able to make something good out of it. Best of luck to you. I hope your trip is a good one.

MickeyMousse
11-21-2008, 04:19 PM
That is a GREAT IDEA!! I will mention that to DH- a 1 bedroom would be a nice way to end our stay and we don't lose anything and gain some space! Thanks!!:thumbsup:

FiggyFan
11-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Another idea - the reservation you are talking about uses a combination of 2008 and (borrowed) 2009 points. The borrowed 2009 points can't be banked, but the 2008 point CAN be banked. When you shorten the trip, you can ask them to leave the 2009 points on the reservation and release the 2008 points. That leave you free to bank the unused points into your 2009 use year.

dephenn
11-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Figgyfan is correct! I did that this past year. We wanted a studio but none were available, so we booked a one bed room and placed on a wait list for the studio. Well we had to borrow points from 2009 for the one bedroom. The wait list came through so we had to keep the 2009 points on our reservation and bank our 2008 points. Good luck.

MinnieMommie
11-22-2008, 12:08 PM

I would not assume anything in a situation like this (just worked through something similar). I know this sounds like a no brainer but make sure to ask the DVC CM what you can do with your '08 and '09 points. You don't want to loose any points so just make sure you are cancelling nights with points that can either be banked or put back into your '09 account. :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
11-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Figgyfan is correct! I did that this past year. We wanted a studio but none were available, so we booked a one bed room and placed on a wait list for the studio. Well we had to borrow points from 2009 for the one bedroom. The wait list came through so we had to keep the 2009 points on our reservation and bank our 2008 points. Good luck.

I was wondering if this might be a potential workaround solution. I'm concerned that MickeyMousse might have passed her opportunity for banking 2008 points. It is absolutely worth checking on, however. It's a situation that probably doesn't happen that often, so it's good to know what we can and cannot do.