PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Stuffers

ShelbyAD
11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Need help. Every year I buy stocking stuffers for my DH. Every year I have tons of ideas. This year - not a single one!

Need some ideas on what to give a man as a stocking stuffer. He doesn't need any more tools - besides, he likes to pick them out himself. I've already asked if he wanted a mini flash light for his key ring. He said no.

Help!!

Beast_fanatic
11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Don't know that any of these will work for you, but here are a few ideas

billfold
money clip
DVD
CD
pocket knife
pen
stress ball
men's manicure set
tire pressure gauge
shower soap in his scent (if he has one)

disneymom15
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
How about a Disney gift card?

vicster
11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
How about 1 share of Disney stock? I got that one year for my DH and he loves it. It's funny - we get invited to the annual stockholders meeting every year and we only have one share. Plus the stock certificate is really cute!

TinkerbellT421
11-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Shelby I sent you a PM :mickey:

ShelbyAD
11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow, you all give expensive stocking stuffers. I always thought stocking stuffers were some little thing(s) you buy that costs $5 or less.

Tinkerbell - Unfortunately I don't have access to "outside" web mail - so I will have to check it when I get home this afternoon. Which, thankfully, I get to leave early today :D

billfold -- he needs one - but he wants to pick it out
money clip -- doesn't use them
DVD -- nothing that he really wants
CD -- nothing that he really wants
pocket knife -- already has one
pen -- Good idea!! There is a specific pen that he likes. Can get a pack of them
stress ball -- don't know if he uses them
men's manicure set -- already has one
tire pressure gauge -- already has one
shower soap in his scent (if he has one) -- Good idea. I think we need some too

LarryBoy
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Meat! For some reason my mother has always given my brother and I a Hickory Farms summer sausage in our stockings. we love that stuff! :tasty: I'm 38 and my brother is 50 and we still count on getting a summer sausage and some home made Christmas tree cookies in our stockings every year. You can't go wrong with the gift of food. :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
We are thinking of putting out a stocking for our 6 year old DS this year. We are a Hanukkah family, so this isn't something we've ever done before. I thought it might be fun, and give us all something to look forward to...expecially since both holidays fall during the same week this year. Since this is my first time, any suggestions?

Beast_fanatic
11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
We are thinking of putting out a stocking for our 6 year old DS this year. We are a Hanukkah family, so this isn't something we've ever done before. I thought it might be fun, and give us all something to look forward to...expecially since both holidays fall during the same week this year. Since this is my first time, any suggestions?

Target has a section of stocking stuffers and there are always cute things there - everything from tiny see 'n' says to Star Wars toys. They also have a dollar section, and they sometimes have good stuff there (stickers, notepads, coloring books, etc.). You could also get some card games (like Old Maid, but they have updated versions), or small puzzles, or little things like that. To fill it out, you can add some pieces of fruit and some candy.

TinkerbellT421
11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok no problem. I think it might be able to help you as far as "expensive". There are ideas such as little things, soaps, colognes, inexpensive items that I think would be perfect. Atleast for me it was :-) So I PMed you that info.

ShelbyAD
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Thank you Tinkerbell.

I got stocking stuffers for my step-daughters. They are always easy. I got them some make-up, those towels that "dry" your hair when wrapped, bath scrunchies, gum. Stuff like that.

Their "main" gifts are small this year. They said they didn't want any big gifts, instead they are going to pick an Angel off of the Angel Tree. We will be doing that the day after Thanksgiving. Their "main" gifts are a calendar. One of the calendars is all about Mythology. It's a pretty cool calendar. The other has all old movie posters. The other gift - I am making them a pillow and my neighbor is embroidering their name and their favorite animals on it. Hopefully it will look cool. :thumbsup:

Mousefever
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Roll of duct tape. You can never have too much.

Amy

coloradowendyl
11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I am the sole female in the house as well as the sole person in charge of stockings! Aka, hubby has no clue that Christmas has arrived until 4 pm on Xmas eve when he panics lol and asks me if I have all the shopping done!

In our house, each male finds a pair of completely obnoxious boxer shorts, a tee shirt, summer sausage, Cholula Hot Sauce (they use it on everything), contact solution, deoderant, new tooth brush, chocolate coins, shoelaces, and a rolled up magazine saying that Santa renewed their subscription to (sports illustrated, Bass Play, Guitar World...their current "it" magazine). This year I am adding sticky notes (they steal mine), post it note flags, dollar store retractable razor knives (hubby),guitar picks/strings,new travel coffee mugs, and the current favorite snack Flaming Hot Munchies (gag!)

Years ago when the boys were small, I bought these huge stockings...now that they are teens, I am always looking for bulky things to fill them!

Wendy

LarryBoy
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
In our house, each male finds a pair of completely obnoxious boxer shorts, a tee shirt, summer sausage, Cholula Hot Sauce (they use it on everything), contact solution, deoderant, new tooth brush, chocolate coins, shoelaces, and a rolled up magazine saying that Santa renewed their subscription to (sports illustrated, Bass Play, Guitar World...their current "it" magazine). This year I am adding sticky notes (they steal mine), post it note flags, dollar store retractable razor knives (hubby),guitar picks/strings,new travel coffee mugs, and the current favorite snack Flaming Hot Munchies (gag!)
Wendy
I'm glad to see we're not the only one's who get summer sausage. I love that stuff!

Tinkermom
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Roll of duct tape. You can never have too much.

Amy

:rotfl::funny::rotfl: That just cracked me up Amy! A girl after my own heart. Duct tape can fix just about anything!

Here is what I usually put in DH's stocking:

- favorite candies (Dove dark chocolate, juju bees)
- Men's lotion/deoderant/shower gel - you can usually find a set of these at Christmas time and I just take them out of the package and place in his stocking individually.
- New toothbrush
- New socks
- Wallet (if he needs)
- iTunes gift card

For my kids-
- New toothbrush (a tradition :))
- Favorite candies/gum (this is why they need the toothbrush!;))
- iTunes giftcard
- small toys
- New socks/gloves/hats
- Trinket jewelry for DD7
- Favorite snacks - small bags of Doritos, Goldfish, etc. They LOVE this!

pink
11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
What we usually do in my family is fill most of the stocking with candy but we also just walk around CVS or the dollar store and look for fun cheap things to stick in there. We never ask what they want in their stocking. :mickey:

Marci
11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
i always give him scratch-off lottery tickets.

what about a few GC's to his favorite fast food restaraunts.

ShelbyAD
11-22-2008, 08:05 AM
I love the Duct Tape idea!!! Yesterday I went to the $1 store among the things I got were 2 of his favorite candy (Mike & Ike and Hot Tamales) and a 2 pack of Irish Spring. I love the smell of Irish Spring soap.

Our office does Dirty Santa for Christmas. We have a $10 limit. So - I went to the $1 store and got 10 items: a hand-blown glass ornament // set of wooden spoons // set of 4 tupperware // Ibuprofen // travel mug // table top Christmas tree // pack of 8 travel kleenex // chocolate. I am short 1 item, so I will go back and get a multi-pack of gum. People in my office are always asking each other for gum.

Hey, it may not be a classy gift, but these are things that people can use. Especially the Ibuprofen :D I know I use it at work. :blush:

Most people get 1 item or a gift card. I thought it would be nice for whoever got mine that they would have 10 items to open (I will wrap each item) and get a really cute gift bag.

goofy for pluto
11-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Love the duct tape idea!
DH may be getting that this year,
also a new tire guage is good and my DS left his good flashlight at camp so maybe a new one would work for him.
Thanks for all of the great ideas!
:thumbsup:

DisneyBabies
11-22-2008, 10:59 AM
ShelbyAD-
Thanks so much for asking this question! DH and I aren't going to exchange gifts this year, just stockings, and I was having trouble coming up with ideas as well.

Any more ideas anyone?

DisneyDog-
The Target stocking stuffer ideas are great; our kids usually get one or two of these in their stockings. We also put in a DVD that they have been asking for all year (this year it is Tinkerbell and Wall-E) and for my DS a couple of new CARS from the CARS movie. DS will also get a new package of underwear and DD will get new panties. I think we will also put in a pair of "ballet slippers" for DD

I think I'm going to use one of the pp's ideas and add a small bag of snacks to their stockings this year.

Stitchahula
11-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I never thought of duct tape but I love the idea. I usually do reeses peanut butter cups and scratch tickets in his stocking. For my boys they will probably get some sort of chocolates and maybe some small toys (tub toys or cars). When we were growing up we always got a clementine at the end of our stocking so we could have something to eat while we waited for our parents to wake up. We were allowed to open the stuff in our stocking but nothing beneath the tree until our mom and dad woke up and had a cup of coffee.

NotaGeek
11-22-2008, 11:56 AM
My favorite stocking stuffer is a Starbucks Gift Card. Thankfully Santa never brought me personal hygiene items. We were just talking about this at work the other day ... I had never heard of that before!

Mousefever
11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
The trial sized item section at target is a gold mine. We give crazy but little things in stockings:

hand sanitizer
pack of car trash bags
lotion
toilet seat covers
trial pack of Q-tips
wet ones
make up remover towlettes
pain relievers
small packs of kleenex
chapstick

from the automotive/tool area:
the aforementioned duct tape
Armorall wipes
defogging wipes
utility knives
WD-40
batteries
bungee cords
zip ties

novelty items:
card games
pens with games on them (Boggle, Operation, etc)
animal noses (everyone gets a different kind and then we take a picture)
funny ornaments
socks
golf balls and tees

Our point is to surprise and delight each other, but also be practical and cheap.

Amy

ShelbyAD
11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Another great place for stocking stuffers [for girls/women] is Michael's. They have $1 bins and ALOT of nice stuff. I some times go over board there :secret:

Is anyone cutting back on gifts this year b/c of the economy? We are. Everyone is getting about 5 stocking stuffers each (usually we over fill the stockings). DH's main gift will be a gift card to Best Buy (DSDs & I will pool our money and get him a larger amount - probably around $40-$50)

mrsgaribaldi
11-22-2008, 06:08 PM
DH is getting some duct tape this year in his stocking too. I love that idea:secret:

Marilyn Michetti
11-22-2008, 06:21 PM
The $1.00 stores are a vitual goldmine. For $10.00, you can put a serious bulge in a stocking.

Love the duct tape idea:funny::rotfl::high5:

I like to shop at Cost Plus World Market, if there's one where you live. Little jars of honey, candies, etc.:thumbsup:

tinksmom02
11-22-2008, 06:44 PM
DH usually gets a new toothbrush and some candy in his stocking. I usually get just a new toothbrush LOL

DD gets a toothbrush and chapstick (a tradition held over from my childhood), assorted $1 items, and some kind of M&M's (another tradition).

Magic Smiles
11-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Years ago when the boys were small, I bought these huge stockings...now that they are teens, I am always looking for bulky things to fill them!

Wendy
My son also has a HUGE stocking. He could fit in it when he was small. Try getting a teen to trade this in for a smaller one. When he was small it was easy to fill from the dollar store. A big boat, some books, puzzles, lego, etc and there you were. A few years ago I figured that I must have spent between $200 - $300 to fill his stocking. I was shocked! I have no idea what to fill my DH and DS stockings with this year. I love the duct tape idea, but DH wouldn't think it was funny. Gift cards to Chapters is good, but that can get expensive also. Last year we all got new stockings from Disney World.........so now my son hangs up 2 stockings.
Back in the good ole days DH and I would always give each other 1 expensive gift in their stockings along with lots of other stuff.......those were the days.
Keep ideas coming as I am also in need of ideas for both DS and DH.

alphamommy
11-22-2008, 09:39 PM
My favorite stocking stuffer is a Starbucks Gift Card.

This is what I was going to suggest. I think that's the gift that DH has used the most, because he reloads the card when it runs out.

Since our stocking gifts come from "Santa", I get stuff for DH and DD, and he's supposed to get stuff for me. However, it's a challenge for him just to buy me a present or two, let alone fill a stocking. Last year, I just picked out a couple small things for myself, and instructed him to put them in my stocking after DD and I went to bed.

Good luck!

ShelbyAD
11-23-2008, 06:44 AM
DH & I have been married for 10 years - this will be our 11th Christmas together. Last year was the first Christmas that he actually got me stocking stuffers. I had to give him a list of ideas of what I would like.

You can't lay down hints to my DH - you have to give him a list. He usually asks me to write down quite a few things and he will get a couple of items from the list and some that are not on the list - that way I don't "know" what I am getting.

I have to admit, I have been surprised with the "big" gifts the past few years. About 4 years ago he bought me a sewing machine (after asking for 5 years ;)) 3 yrs ago he bought me a jacket that I had seen while we were in Alaska in 2003. He went on line and bought it. 2 yrs ago he got me a complete bathroom set (curtain, hooks, rug, toothbrush holder, towels etc). Last year was not a big surprise. He got me Season 4 of Lois & Clark and Season 4 of Quantum Leap. I am asking for Season 5 of QL this year. I think he already bought it and it was shipped to the house.

I like the Duct Tape idea - I will buy him a roll. He will probably say "Ooooh, I need this"

tinksmom02
11-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Consider yourself lucky. My DH, when he was just my BF, was really good about getting me gifts. He'd get me what I wanted, and surprises, too.

Now, however, if I want something, I just buy it for myself. He thinks it's better that way, b/c then I know I'm getting something I like. I agree, somewhat, and it's nice buying whatever I want/need, but I miss surprises.

ShelbyAD
11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Tinks Mom - I love your " Look .... An Undead Monkey"

That is my favorite line in the movie!! :thumbsup: It makes me laugh every time.

Mousefever
11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
I love the duct tape idea, but DH wouldn't think it was funny.

There's nothing funny about duct tape, ma'am.;)

princessjojo
11-23-2008, 09:11 PM
My stocking is usually pretty empty, except for the candy "Santa's" bought for everyone's stocking and some obligatory fruit and nuts.

But I usually get random things for everyone elses stockings. Both boys get some of their favorite snacks, socks, maybe some hot chocolate or coffee, a deck of their favorite card games, puzzle books, crayons/markers...

The checkout areas in Target or WalMart are great places to get ideas.

DizNee143
11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
i get anything small that can fit in the stocking...or out of all the things i get my hubby i try to stuff the smaller items in the stocking..good ideas are...cds..dvds..when my hubby smoked i would put in a pack or two of ciggarettes..scratch off lotto tickects...gift cards to there favorites stores..
the stuff i usually get from my parents..is usually filled with candy..scratch off lotto tickets..lots of gift cards..and either a wad of money at the foot or a piece of jewerly!!!

vicster
11-24-2008, 08:38 AM
i always give him scratch-off lottery tickets.

We do that and also put them in birthday cards. It started out as a joke years ago until my SIL won $20,000.00 on a scratch off ticket. Now we're serious about it!

TinkerbellT421
11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
lol @ the duct tape, I should get that for my mom! She lives on that stuff..."THE TOILET BROKE GET THE DUCT TAPE!!!" LOL!!! I swear she uses that stuff on everything. lol. I just used up a roll on her too I thought she was going to have a heart attack "You used all the duct tape, that the only roll I had!" lol....shes so funny. I already got my stocking stuffers done! yay for me! I got a patriots watch for DBF, lotions for mom, some jewelry for mom, like earrings and a matching necklace, and gifts for myself :blush: lol! I just cant say where and how...lol...dont want to upset Intercot, no self promotion...lol...I got stuff cheap though, I got most of my christmas shopping done already. Now I just have to go out for big fun stuff the day after :turkey: with my friend Lori and get the rest done and then Im off to wrapping!! woo...Am I wierd, but I love wrapping gifts lol! I have so much fun by myself wrapping! lol

TigChatt
11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Last year was not a big surprise. He got me Season 4 of Lois & Clark and Season 4 of Quantum Leap. I am asking for Season 5 of QL this year. I think he already bought it and it was shipped to the house.

A person after my own heart. Gotta love Quantum Leap!!!

Magic Smiles
11-25-2008, 07:04 AM
My stocking is usually pretty empty, except for the candy "Santa's" bought for everyone's stocking and some obligatory fruit and nuts.

Isn't it pretty sad at how many woman have this happen to them. We always seem to take care of the Men in our lives, but what are they thinking? When the men are still boyfriends, they are good at gift buying.......when they become husbands, what happens?
Of course there are always exceptions out there, but I have a few good friends that pretty much end up with an empty Christmas. Okay, I know that Christmas is not all about getting gifts, but does it not make you feel good to know that someone is thinking about you when you receive a little something. I know that I put a lot of thought into my gift buying, always looking for that something perfect for the person.
Did you all know that you can buy duct tape in assorted colours now? :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Did you all know that you can buy duct tape in assorted colours now? :thumbsup:

I did. I used to know someone that used to make wallets and pocket books out of colored duct tape. She actually kind of had her own business with it, she used to sell them. But they werent that pretty looking....and at $80.00 I could have died when she said that....I was like Im sorry Im not paying $80.00 for a duct tape purse...I love duct tape....but not that much.....and they were ugly....lol :thedolls:

ShelbyAD
11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
A person after my own heart. Gotta love Quantum Leap!!! I love Scott Bakula!! I watched the tv show Star Trek - Enterprise b/c of him.

Different colored duct tape?! Cool!! I think I will get him a couple of different color ones, as well as the ole grey one!! :thumbsup:

thrillme
11-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I love the Duck Tape...sounds like a lot of guys are getting some this year...

My family still owes me the last season of the OLD Star Trek.

PirateLover
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I love it when Santa gives me scratch off lottery tickets :)

Magic Smiles
12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I did. I used to know someone that used to make wallets and pocket books out of colored duct tape. She actually kind of had her own business with it, she used to sell them. But they werent that pretty looking....and at $80.00 I could have died when she said that....I was like Im sorry Im not paying $80.00 for a duct tape purse...I love duct tape....but not that much.....and they were ugly....lol :thedolls:

DS made my DH one of these wallets when he was in elementary school or maybe daycare. It was a great gift from a child, but to actually buy one.

TinkerbellT421
12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
DS made my DH one of these wallets when he was in elementary school or maybe daycare. It was a great gift from a child, but to actually buy one.

I absolutely agree, being made for someone is fine, but she made these hideous camoflauge ones, and hot pinks, and neon greens, purses and stuff, and charge $80.00!!! I could have died. being made as a present for someone fine but $80.00 for a duct tape wallet!?!?! lol
Thats what killed me lol.

Magic Smiles
12-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Well I have finished my shopping for stocking stuffers and like usual, once I get going I always over buy for the stockings. DH and DS always end up with an overstuffed stocking and a gift bag full of overflow items.
Had to laugh to myself tonight. DS asked me what I wanted in my stocking. DH and DS still have to buy stocking stuff for me. MEN!

pixiesmimi
12-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm trying to cut back this year (not being very successful) but I usually go overboard with all the family. When it comes to stockings, I usually put in candy of some kind and small things like cologne, deodrant, lip gloss, toys etc.

When I grew up we were lucky to get oranges and peppermint sticks. I usually don't get much in mine because DH doesn't even think to shop until Christmas Eve and most of the time forgets about the stocking. Now that the girls are grown, they kind of try to make up for this. But I don't worry about it.

One year at my Mom's house for Christmas when my girls were small, I had forgotten to buy stocking stuffers until after the stores were closed on Christmas Eve. My mom went around looking for things I could put in the girls' stockings and ended up putting socks (hers) rolled up in there with fruit. Did we ever get a dirty look on Christmas morning when the girls opened their stockings. :) Even though they were only about 5 or 6 at the time. :) This year I got everyone DVD's and specialty candy.