PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress

Georgesgirl1
11-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I need help settling a bet with my dad. What are the holidays and the corresponding time periods that are featured in Carousel of Progress. I know my dad is wrong, but I need the back-up of my fellow intercotees to make him believe me!

garymacd
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Early 1900's: Valentines Day
1920's: July 4th
1940's: Halloween
Today or Tomorrow: Christmas

"NO PRIVACY AT ALL AROUND THIS PLACE!"

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Early 1900's: Valentines Day
1920's: July 4th
1940's: Halloween
Today or Tomorrow: Christmas

"NO PRIVACY AT ALL AROUND THIS PLACE!"

Exactly!!:thumbsup:

ddcrna
11-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Totally agree - but here is a followup question - why are all the clocks set to the same time, and is the time significant????

Any imagineers or cast members out there??

:confused:

Disdaddy
11-21-2008, 07:44 AM
For what time are the clocks set?

SBETigg
11-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Totally agree - but here is a followup question - why are all the clocks set to the same time, and is the time significant????

Just guessing, but I think it's because you're seeing the same family dynamic through periods of time and the compare/contrast of the different eras is more apparent by showing them all in their daily activities at the same time of the day.

TinkerbellT421
11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Well I just spent the last half-hour on google. And there is absolutely NOTHING that I can find that shows any particular significance of the clock time outside of it is supposed to show you the different eras and generations of "time" and what the typical american family is experienceing years apart from each other but at that same particular time of day...Thats the only explanation I can find anywhere :confused:

Bobby T
11-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Do the clocks read the same hours and minutes? Surely it cannot be the same "time" as the Valentine's Day and Halloween scenes occur during the day and the Fourth of July and Christmas are at night.

iheartdisney
11-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Boy! I am so glad to find you all. My daughter teases me - calling me a "Disney Dork" because I wonder the same things you all are wondering....or spending 1/2 on Google trying to find answers for. You go, Tinkerbell! So glad we're all in this together, fighting the good fight!

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Some people just have way too much free time on their hands...and a lot of us hang out here.:blush:

johnO
11-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Could'nt you consider anyone who takes the time to register an account here at Intercot a " Disney Dork" or "Disney Nut"? The label suits me well I'm afraid........:secret::mickey:

Georgesgirl1
11-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks y'all....I knew I was right, but I needed the backup so my dad would believe me. I am proud that my Disney knowledge has now surpassed that of my dad's:mickey:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Another Tidbit:

When we were there last summer, we noticed that the father was wearing two left shoes. I don't recall which "scene" it was though.

iheartdisney
11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
:grouphug: I love you guys! Two left shoes? I can't wait to find them for myself....and then put up with my family's teasing of what a "Disney Dork" I am. You all are the best!

mickeyjohn
11-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Do you think the clocks are like that because it will leve people wondering? That way there are alot of answers but none of them are wrong.

wdwfansince75
11-23-2008, 02:28 PM
OK, time to ask it again....In first scene, there is a little girl, helping her mother by pumping the washing machine...she is never mentioned by the father, and she appears in no other scene....who is she?

mickeyjohn
11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Maby she is one of the amaginears kids.

lindique
11-23-2008, 03:49 PM
OK, time to ask it again....In first scene, there is a little girl, helping her mother by pumping the washing machine...she is never mentioned by the father, and she appears in no other scene....who is she?
I've been wondering about that little girl too - I even wrote into the "Ask Dave" column a couple of years ago. I never got a reply. Anyone?

Daisy'sMom
11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Maybe she is the middle child. :D

TinkerbellT421
11-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Some people just have way too much free time on their hands...and a lot of us hang out here.:blush:

lol!!! :funny::rotfl::goof:

Boy! I am so glad to find you all. My daughter teases me - calling me a "Disney Dork" because I wonder the same things you all are wondering....or spending 1/2 on Google trying to find answers for. You go, Tinkerbell! So glad we're all in this together, fighting the good fight!

Looks like Im back to google! lol!!

Roland
11-23-2008, 05:47 PM

I have been trying to find out the answer to this question for six years. I've written to Disney communications, I've written to Roy Disney and his sidekick when they were wrestling control from Eisner, I've asked Cast Members, I've sent emails to Ask Dave of the Disney Insider and I've never, ever gotten a single response.

FWIW, the time on the clocks is 5:45PM.

Roland
11-23-2008, 06:00 PM

She is the young daughter Jane.

Tinkerbelly84
11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Why doesn't she show up again?

wdwfansince75
11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
She is the young daughter Jane.
Not to hype another site, but you can read the entire transcript on allearsnet.....script notes for first scene mention a young daughter, but no name....no daughter, other than Patricia, is ever mentioned again. In all other scenes, only Jimmy and Patricia have parts.

Tinkerbelly84
11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh okay thanks I'll have to check that out.

Hayden's Dad
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
A rumor I've heard several times is that she is a tribute to an imagineers daughter (and/or the other people who died) during the time from influenza. Not sure if that's correct either.

Roland
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Why doesn't she show up again?

My apologies. I meant to say Patricia not Jane!

I had just finished reading the thread where people were stuck in an attraction or a ride. There was a person talking about the GMR and they were stuck in the Tarzan ride so I had Jane roaming around in my head.

Considering the wide open spaces between my left and right ears :D, it's not hard to see that Jane was able to have a lot of bouncing around!

Roland
11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Not to hype another site, but you can read the entire transcript on allearsnet.....script notes for first scene mention a young daughter, but no name....no daughter, other than Patricia, is ever mentioned again. In all other scenes, only Jimmy and Patricia have parts.

Read above. I wish I could claim I was :ill: but this wouldn't account for the daily occurrence of inactive brain matter. :ambal:

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-24-2008, 09:20 PM

Maybe she is an escapee from IASW...;)

AnnetteFan
11-29-2008, 08:32 AM
I've always sort of assumed she was hired help? Sounds kind of silly but I just figured she was a neighbor kid or something getting paid to help with the laundry.

disneyworld55925592
11-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Could it be young patrcia? Or maybe it is a tribute to the people who died in the time period?:confused:

Buzz_Burbank
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Fourth of July and Christmas are at night.

There is something of an oddity to the July 4th scene. The mother is sitting out on the porch at night commenting on how nice it is to have an electric light to sew by (and having what appears to be lightning bugs behind her). On the other hand if you look out the window behind the father it is quite obviously broad daylight. And....if the clock in fact does say 5:45 as has been stated elsewhere in this thread (never noticed myself) then it's going to be daylight everywhere in the continental US on July 4th.... I believe that this is what IMDB would call a "goof" :)

ILoveLegos
12-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Okay let's mention the really odd part that these same people transported themselves over to the now defunct Horizons attraction - where they live under water and in space! Hehehe - I couldn't resist!

mcjaco
12-05-2008, 10:01 AM
That's because everything was better in Horizons! :D