PDA

View Full Version : Tried and trues vs. New dining

mouseketeer mom
11-20-2008, 07:41 PM
The more we go to WDW, the less we try "new places". Seems we really like to repeat our faves, and only try one or two new places each trip. We've settled into what we love, and wouldn't want to miss those places. Anyone else find that as well?

henry.james.s
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
The more we go to WDW, the less we try "new places". Seems we really like to repeat our faves, and only try one or two new places each trip. We've settled into what we love, and wouldn't want to miss those places. Anyone else find that as well?

Me too, And I go to some locations multiple times each trip. Call me nuts but I've been to some so many times over the years it's like visiting old friends. :thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Yep, after this number of trips we do have favs and we want to go to them every trip. Fortunately, we have enough favs that we take a rest from at least one every year (i.e. take a year off). This year it was Le Cellier after a number of years in a row so that it wouldn't get old for us. Will go back next year.

We sometimes try a new place as a replacement and that can become a new fav. That's how we started with Le Cellier.

wendy*darling
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
It's very tempting to keep going back to the same favorite places. So we try to get at least a handful of new ones in on each trip.
I think it makes it more exciting to have at least one new place to try each time.

In Jan, the only new place for all 4 of us is The Wave.
However, since we don't bring our sons (18 & 21) on all our trips, at their request we are going to Cali Grill & Artist Point, which are both new to them.
Also, we are taking them to Yak & Yeti, Chefs de France and The Brown Derby- which are also new for them, but DH & I have eaten at all of them at least once. We know they will enjoy them all. :thumbsup:

Still trying to get to Jiko and Citricos, but there just aren't enough days on our trips to fit them all in!

Tbelle1976
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
This year is completely different for us. We have never done the DDP and have decided to go Deluxe in Feb. That means that so many places we have never tried before we will this time:
Coral Reef
Ohana
Boma
LeCellier
Akershus
Cape May Cafe
Cali Grill
Whispering Canyon
and some others as well. We are so excited to finally have a Disney vacation where we get to dine all these places we have held off on doing!

KatMark
11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
We have four that we go to every year: LeCellier, Crystal Palace (breakfast), Plaza Restaurant and Mama Melrose. We tried a couple of new places the last two years: Boatwright's and Whispering Canyon--didn't like either one and won't go back; tried LIberty Tree Tavern for lunch and really enjoyed it. Next September, we are trying Spoodles, Jiko's (maybe), and Boma for breakfast--none of which we have ever done.

SBETigg
11-20-2008, 09:56 PM
We try to mix it up with old and new. We really prefer the Signature dining, and I haven't tried all of them yet. And we try to balance resort dining with World Showcase dining, for the most part. We've discovered that we're not really fond of Downtown Disney(even though there are good dining options there), character dining, or the dining options in parks other than Epcot (though we've tried, and we'll keep trying new things).

iheartdisney
11-21-2008, 10:09 AM
We try to mix it up with old and new.

We mix it up, as well. We were on a Boma kick for years but now it's "been there, done that." Our standbys on the next trip will be Biergarten and Liberty Tree Tavern. A "new" that's becoming a favorite is Yak & Yeti. And to shake things up a bit we're trying California Grill and Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House. We've been to WDW so many times it's easy to get in a rut. That's why I make sure we visit at least one new place every trip.

jonah'smom
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
We have our favorites and must do's each trip, one of which being Chef Mickey's for our DS8. We found 2 new favorites last year, Ohana & Garden Grill. Liberty Tree is of course a favorite must do as well. We try to do at least one new place each year. This year our new places will be Grand Floridian Cafe & Coral Reef. We will of course be having the must do's along with 50's Prime Time. We've eaten there once on a previous trip, and we're going back this year. Forgoing Sci Fi this trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-21-2008, 11:13 AM
We are trying 9 new TS restaurants this trip!!!! But we always eat at Rainforest Cafe Animal Kingdom-I know its not highly rated its just we like the atmosphere and its a tradition.

DisneyFr33k
11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
We are all for trying something new. :eat: However we have found ourselves being drawn back to Kona as that is my DH favorite (he could eat there every night). I loved O'hana, but when I called 4 months prior to our trip, they didn't have any ressies before 9:00pm!

We will repeat offend at the following next time:
Kona, O'hana (if we can), Wolfgang Puck's Cafe, Tusker House, Le Cellier, Rose and Crown, 50's Prime Time, Boma, Mama, Coral Reef, Melrose's, Liberty Tree, Cape May Cafe, and Cinderella's Castle.

Those we've done and won't do again:
Crystal Palace, Tony's, Whispering Canyon Cafe, San Angel, Inn, Sci Fi Drive In, and Rainforest Cafe

One's we are curious about next time:
Yak & Yeti (my husband thinks the name implies getting sick!), Hollywood & Vine, Nine Dragons, Tutto Italia, Chef Mickey, Wave, T-Rex and Planet Hollywood.

ThanxForNoticin
11-21-2008, 12:00 PM
There are SO many terrific places to eat at Disney. We have a family rule where we eat at a new place each trip. So just like most of the other posters, we will enjoy our favorites most trips, but we also try something new. Sometimes, the 'something new' then moves to our favorites list!

pamickeys
11-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I think that you've answered your own question. by looking at the places you've stayed at ,you've stayed at Poly 6 out of 11 times .I think you are a creature of habit. accept it.

kathiep
11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
We try to mix it up. Some old favorites to look forward to and new ones to anticipate.

We always do a breakfast at Crystal Palace, dinner at O'Hana and dinner at The Biergarten.

Dinner at Boma was on this list as well but we were disappointed in September and will be taking a break from Boma.

On the list for first try next time is Rose & Crown.

SpecJoe Magic
11-22-2008, 04:03 AM
In recent years, we choose a few favorites, but we tend to try more new places rather than eat at the same places again and again. Although, we've only been eating table service meals on a regular basis in the last few years, so there are still a lot of places we haven't eaten that we want to try. I imagine that we'll go back to our favorites more often after we've tried all of the new places that we have a desire to visit.

Dawneeeey
11-22-2008, 09:00 AM
We typically go to the same places, but I keep saying I want to try some new ones too because then maybe we'll have some new favorites!! That's how we found Le Cellier. Everyone on this board kept talking about it so we tried it and we love it!!! But there are some others that I'm ok with not going to for a while that are usually our must do.

So we'll see what happens this next trip!!

MinnieMommie
11-22-2008, 12:28 PM
We tend to stick to the places we have eaten at in the past and enjoy although we also try to try at least 1 new place each trip (having said that we have eaten at most places). It also depends on who is with us each trip. Sometimes we take people to eat at places they haven't been to before and know they would like. It depends but generally we have a few favorites where we eat each trip. :mickey:

NH Disneyfan
11-22-2008, 02:02 PM
We seem to hit the same places over and over. However, a menu change at Ohana we learned of in June has removed that from our list. Loved Cali Grill on the last trip, it was a first. Love Hollywood & Vine and Crystal Palace for lunch and will be going back in 2 weeks. We're doing the princess lunch in Norway (?) for a first time and the new Italian place in EPCOT for the first time - got the last reservation on 12/15 for Candlelight so it was no-choice. We love the 50's Cafe and will probably do that every time.

I saw a prior post about Kona Cafe - I am dying to try that!!!

dfamasb
11-22-2008, 02:41 PM
We ALWAYS go to Ohana, but that's our only "must do". In Feb 5 of our 7 TS meals will be new restaurants for us: Tusker House, Kona, Whispering Canyon, Biergarten, and Garden Grill. I don't think I've run across a restaurant yet that I wouldn't return to. Still so many we haven't tried, we have to add a few new each trip!

Crow
11-22-2008, 10:49 PM
yes I have favs i go to
but ive tried to try new places the last few times. even not going to some places that Ive liked so I can try some new ones.
I try to mix it up

bkfree
11-23-2008, 02:04 PM
So Far, Chef Mickeys and Crystal Palace have been the only two we will re do on our Dec. trip.

1st trip- La Cellier
Sci Fi
Crystal Palace
Liberty Tree
Rainforest Cafe

2nd Trip
La Cellier
Crystal Palace
Chef Mickey's
Spoodles
1900 Park Fare
Rest. Marrekesh

Upcoming Dec Trip
CP -Breakfast
Chef Mickeys dinner
Boma Dinner
Boma Breakfast
Kona
Tutto Italia
Chefs De France
50's Prime Time
Storybook Dinner at Askerhaus

We have two elementary age kiddos,so as they get older our choices will change too. As you can see there are a great many left for us to try,too many not to check out mosty new ones each trip. It is hard not to revisit old favs but we limit ourselves to 2 old and the rest new while there are so many on our list left to try for the first time.

comicguy
11-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Current Favorites:

Le Celleir
Coral Reef
50's Prime Time
Grand Floridian Cafe