PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat at the Lodge?

CU Tiger
11-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Of all the times we have been to DW, we have never been to the Animal Kingdom Lodge.:blush: For this trip, we are going to visit it and would like to eat dinner there. What do you recommend for a family of 5 with young girls? We are not looking for anything fancy, just good food.:mickey:

Kairi_7378
11-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure how young your girls are, but if you can handle a buffet with them I'd recommend Boma because of the variety of good food there. Jiko is a signature restaurant and may be a little fancier than what you were expecting. If you want a snack, you can try the Mara and then watch the animals at the observation decks.

ThanxForNoticin
11-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Absolutely Boma - one of the best dining experiences at Disney.

Basically, at AKL, you'll have Jiko (fancier dining), Boma (buffet-style dining), and Mara (a counter service type of option with burgers, salads, soups, and sandwiches - also very good). But to best experience the Lodge, Boma is a very high recommendation. Enjoy.

CU Tiger
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input. The girls will be 4, 7, and 9. They can handle the buffet if it is the best option. I do not think it is worth the money just yet for fine dining with them.:mickey:

Does everyone else agree with going to Boma?

henry.james.s
11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Boma IS outstanding for dinner. :thumbsup:
Keep in mind Boma's B'Fast buffet is SUPER too.
My personal favorite breakfast spot!! :number1:

LandFan
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Boma Rocks!! THere is plenty for the younger kids to eat on it too.

vicster
11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Ditto on Boma!!!

mudpuppysmom
11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Taking into account the ages that you have the girls might not want to "sit down" to eat if they are overly excited about seeing the animals (like the kids in our party are) -- and for that reason I would suggest not spending the money on the buffet and grabbing something at Mara.

Now, if the girls are into trying new foods and aren't super duper quadruple excited about going to see the animals then Boma by all means.....or go view the animals first, then go to dinner would be another suggestion.

As for Jiko -- DS#1 enjoys eating there.....he has had the mac & cheese and also the steak they have for kids there -- eaten everything off his plate too!! He also gets fruit for his app and the chocolate puzzle for dessert, so it's a fun experience for him too.....and we've been taking him there for three years now (since just turned four).

I think you have to gauge what your kids personalities are then go from there.

This trip we have our DS #1 (6), and DS#2 (6 months) and my sisters two girls...11 y/o and 3 y/0, so we have a very varied aged group along for the trip.

Would my sisters kids sit down to eat knowing there are animals to be seen -- NO WAY! They would rather grab something quick and that allows them to have more time exploring the animals and the lodge!

vicster
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
We ate there in September with a 5 year old and an 8 year old and they totally enjoyed it. After dinner we went outside to see the animals.

SBETigg
11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Boma is a great choice. Enjoy!

Zawadi
11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Boma is a great choice. Enjoy!
:ditto:
Especially the carrot & ginger soup (we like it so much the Boma gave us the recipe :D) and zebradomes

dfamasb
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Boma would be perfect!! There are enough diffrent foods to satisfy the adults and enough normal foods to keep the kids interested. Hope you enjoy!!