PDA

View Full Version : To drive or Fly

Mackflava99
11-19-2008, 04:04 PM
With the current economy and the cost of flights- my family and i are contemplating driving down to orlando this year-
( from central NJ)
I did it in college once, i think its like 16-17 hours to drive-
Both my wife and i will split the driving ( she likes to drive more than me actually...:)
Has anyone done it in a while? any good tips-?
Any good choices to select for a mid trip stay?

Are there any alternate routes besides 95?

I do want to plan a hotel on the road but really dont know whre a good place to shoot for would be-

I would be greatful for any help-

Bryan

goofyfan4466
11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
hi , we drove down in april. we always drive down & we are pretty close to you. we usually leave about 12:00 midnight to avoid dc traffic. we always lay over in savannah georgia. we stay at the marriott right off i-95. there is a cracker barrel in the same parking lot of the hotel,so we check in & then go to get dinner. we are usually there by 3:00 pm. we have two 13 yo girls so we make stops whenever we need to. we usually pack a lunch,plenty of water,drinks & snacks to last the week in disney.we found that xm radio was really good for traffic updates in the major cities.also,get the i-95 information guide ( it gives rest stops & any construction going on ).just make sure to stop when you need to & everybody will be happy.oh by the way we leave georgia by 8:00 to get to disney by 1:00 pm. hope this helps.:mickey:

Faver
11-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I think driving can be fun... that's the only way we ever went to Disney while I was growing up.

My mom always made sure we started early in the morning, so we could stop for the evening early as well (around 4Pm), have a nice dinner, look around the area a bit and rest up for the evening. She always had other small stops planned in order to make the trip down and back more enjoyable. The fun shouldn't just start when you get to WDW, you know :)

And Savannah is a good stopping point, and a lovely city.... try and get a dinner reservation at Paula Deen's Restaurant! It's great!

Enjoy:mickey:

PirateLover
11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
We drove last year. We took a straight shot down 95 and made it in about 16 hours. We left at 4am and got through the DC area before major morning rush hour. It wasn't too bad, although we had 3 drivers. We made 3 or 4 pit stops I think.

AllDisney
11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
We drove down a few years ago (our first & only road trip) and it wasn't that bad. We drove down as far as Savannah and stayed right where goffyfan466 mentioned. We left on Saturday around 6:00AM from Maryland. Got to Savannah spent the night there and were driving onto WDW property by noon. We checked into our room, unpacked and were at the parks by 1:30PM.

Tbelle1976
11-19-2008, 08:11 PM
We drive just about every year (unless I can get airfare for a GREAT deal). We're from NE Ohio. When we drive in Feb we will be leaving here about 7-8 p.m. We drive completely through with no stopping (of course the occasional break and then for breakfast). DH will do all the driving until we get closer to Orlando, then he wants nothing to do with the traffic and hands it over to me.

Our children are 10 & 7, and it's really not that bad of a drive. If anything the drive home is much worse...cause we are leaving Disney!

Mackflava99
11-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I appreciate all the good insight-

We may do it- Actually i think its about 90% sure that we will.

So i am assuming the worst traffic is Wash DC

What are the times to avoid being there?

dolphinmickey9170
11-20-2008, 02:33 PM
We drive from Baltimore....take 95 south from NJ to 295 in Baltimore (after you exit the tunnel) 295 exits right, then it comes out at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge back onto 95 at the VA line. Then you don't have to worry about the traffic in DC. It cut off almost an hour of our trip last time.

As for a stop, we stopped in Dillon, SC for the night, head back out by 6am and we were there around noon.

Avoid toll roads in Florida by staying on 95 until you get to Daytona, then take I-4. It takes you right to the back enterance by DTD. NO TOLLS!! Yeah!

Have a safe trip.

kakn7294
11-20-2008, 03:44 PM
We often drive from Pittsburgh to WDW. From our house, it takes 15.5 - 16 hrs. I can't really help with the directions from your area as we take a completely different route, not picking up I-95 until we are in Georgia. We have 2 drivers and drive straight through. Last year, airfare would have cost us $1200 on Southwest (our cheapest option) for 4 people. We drove roundtrip for $334 in gas (at an average of $3.50 - $3.75 per gallon) in an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the extra food stops amounted to about the same as what we would have paid in airport parking fees. If you choose to stop overnight, there are a lot of hotel options along the way - the Savannah / Pooler area has quite a few.

diz_girl
11-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm just down the GSP from you (exit 105) and I'm a big fan of driving. Now that gas prices are way down, it will probably cost $200-$240 for gas (depending on your car) and probably about $100 or so per night for a hotel, so about $400 or so total. A good place to stop is Florence, SC. There are lots of hotels and restaurants there. Savannah, GA is also a good location.

If you want to avoid DC and are driving during a weekday, then try taking the NJ Turnpike to the Del Mem Br and then take route 13 South around Wilmington. That will take you down the DelMarVa penninsula and over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Route 13 turns into route 17 on the other side of the tunnel. You can then get back on 95 just south of Richmond. It's probably about an extra hour of driving, but maybe longer if you stop for a view on the bridge-tunnel, but you can just make that a pit-stop.

Another option for you is to take a train, although it probably is close to the cost of flying. You can just take the North Jersey Coast line up to Newark and then hop on Amtrak from there. The closest stop to WDW is Kissimmee, and you may want to hire a car (like Quicksilver, one of the Intercot sponsors).

I've never tried the train myself, but DH and I are planning to take a few vacations out West by rail in a few years with the kids. I can't wait to see America by rail, but we need to wait until our DS and ay future children are a little older (maybe 4 or 5). Some people can't sleep on the train because of the stops, but others like the rocking of the train and the views.

thrillme
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
If you can afford it FLY.

In about 2-3 hour you're there and you can take a nap or watch a movie on the way.

It's kinda nice having a car to go OTHER places but otherwise...Give me plane any day.

goofyfan4466
11-20-2008, 05:49 PM
We drive from Baltimore....take 95 south from NJ to 295 in Baltimore (after you exit the tunnel) 295 exits right, then it comes out at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge back onto 95 at the VA line. Then you don't have to worry about the traffic in DC. It cut off almost an hour of our trip last time.

As for a stop, we stopped in Dillon, SC for the night, head back out by 6am and we were there around noon.

Avoid toll roads in Florida by staying on 95 until you get to Daytona, then take I-4. It takes you right to the back enterance by DTD. NO TOLLS!! Yeah!

Have a safe trip.

YOU CAN AVOID THE TOLLS BY STAYING ON I-4,BUT IF YOU TAKE 417 OFF I-4 YOU SAVE AT LEAST A 1/2 HOUR MAYBE MORE & YOU DRIVE WITHOUT ANY TRAFFIC,SO THERE IS NO STRESS. WE DID IT IN APRIL & WE ARE GLAD WE DID AS I DID NOT STRESS AT ALL ABOUT ORLANDO TRAFFIC.EITHER WAY YOU WILL GET THERE.

kathiep
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi "neighbor". We've driven down 3 years ruuning. And I swore after an eventful drive down about 10 years ago, I would never drive again.

It's actually become part of the fun for our family. It's like an adventure.

We try to leave around 6am on a weekday. My DH doesn't do too well getting up much earlier. That way, we are through any rush hour in Baltimore and we through DC prior to any lunch traffic.

We tend to go as far as we can before stopping. We usually get as far at the Georgia/Florida border by 11pm or so. (we have 2 kids 5 and 3 1/2 so we probably stop more than most and the stops can drag on a little.) My Dh and I share the driving so it doesn't take too much of a toll on either one of us.

Then, the next morning, we don't have to get up too early. We're usually on the road by 9am after a nice breakfast. This puts us on track to get into Orlando by lunchtime. We check in and have a nice lunch at our resort and have plenty of time to relax and unwind in the pool. We usually don't have park tickets for that day. If we venture out, we'll walk around Downtown Disney to get in the spirit.

As another poster said, avoid the toll roads in Florida. Just not worth it. We got on 417 this year and I think it cost us $6 for a ride that lasted less than an hour.

I would also have advise against another poster's suggestion of taking 13 south around Wilmington and the Bay Bridge Tunnel. I travel that route routinely to visit family in the Outer Banks and I think you'd lose a lot more than a hour.

We did the math this year and we saved a lot by choosing driving over flying.

hokies4life
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
My DBF will be driving down for his confrence on his own, and I'll be taking a one way flight down to join him. Then we'll be driving back. I feel bad though, because he drives a manual truck that I don't know how to drive so I won't be able to help out with the driving. We'll be driving down in my car (automatic) in August though, so then we can both drive.

kathymk616
11-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I do the drive. Delaware, Virginia, South Carolina, and Florida tend to have the better gas prices. (I remember Virginia always being the best.) There aren't many alternates to I-95 in terms of directness.

Good luck and have fun!

PAMOUSELOVER
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
We drove last year. We took a straight shot down 95 and made it in about 16 hours. We left at 4am and got through the DC area before major morning rush hour. It wasn't too bad, although we had 3 drivers. We made 3 or 4 pit stops I think.
Same here!

You will hit tolls in Delaware though.
We drove last Aug. for the first time. Straight through to Lake Mary Fla. It is about 20 mins. from WDW. We stay at a la quinta, and it ws very nice. My husband drove all the way. We stop many times to stretch, gas,potty etc.
Do not stop at south of the border, waste of time. Itis a ghost towne.

Have a safe trip.

Disney Lynn
11-23-2008, 07:10 AM
We've driven to WDW from NJ (Burlington County area) many times (and would be driving again next month except that our cars are getting old). We do the main route down 95 (rather than 13 through DE, etc). As long as there's no construction or accidents, it's the quickest and easiest. However, just in case there's a road delay, make sure you have a good map of each state so that you can find an alternative if 95 if blocked. In most of the southern states, there's a local road that practically runs parallel to 95. We've had to hop off 95 for several miles on occasion.

Also, we use 417 rather than continue on I-4 through Orlando. By that time in the trip, we're anxious to actualy get to WDW, so the quick and easy 417 is worth the extra dollars to us.

Have a safe trip!

SurferStitch
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
hi , we drove down in april. we always drive down & we are pretty close to you. we usually leave about 12:00 midnight to avoid dc traffic. we always lay over in savannah georgia. we stay at the marriott right off i-95. there is a cracker barrel in the same parking lot of the hotel,so we check in & then go to get dinner. we are usually there by 3:00 pm. we have two 13 yo girls so we make stops whenever we need to. we usually pack a lunch,plenty of water,drinks & snacks to last the week in disney.we found that xm radio was really good for traffic updates in the major cities.also,get the i-95 information guide ( it gives rest stops & any construction going on ).just make sure to stop when you need to & everybody will be happy.oh by the way we leave georgia by 8:00 to get to disney by 1:00 pm. hope this helps.:mickey:

We also stop over in Savannah, but we stay at the Country Inn & Suites. We aren't too far from the OP, either.

We left on Friday morning around 7:30 am for this past trip, and stopped in Savannah around 10:00 pm. We take our time driving and stop off for meals to give us a break. We then hopped in the car around 8:00 am Saturday morning and pulled in WDW around 3:00 that afternoon. We didn't have to check into the Grand Flo until Sunday morning, so we stayed in the DTD area Saturday night. It was perfect.

Even counting meals and a hotel stay, we didn't spend any more money than if we flew SW out of Philly, and we didn't have the hassle of worrying about how to pack, luggage weight limits, carry-on restrictions, security lines, delays, etc....we just enjoyed the time alone on a really fun road trip. Tack on the bucks we saved with not having the need to ship purchases home! I always shipped ornaments and artwork home every trip...usually 3 shipments throughout a trip, so that's another chunk of change saved!

I'm sure we'll drive down on our next trip, too....especially with gas prices going down, down, down! :thumbsup:

We also have XM, and that can be a big help keeping us up on any delays or construction.

JerseyDad
11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
With the current economy and the cost of flights- my family and i are contemplating driving down to orlando this year-
( from central NJ)
I did it in college once, i think its like 16-17 hours to drive-
Both my wife and i will split the driving ( she likes to drive more than me actually...:)
Has anyone done it in a while? any good tips-?
Any good choices to select for a mid trip stay?

Are there any alternate routes besides 95?

I do want to plan a hotel on the road but really dont know whre a good place to shoot for would be-

I would be greatful for any help-

Bryan

....just did the drive (again...and then some) and it's not a bad drive at all. We "just" got back on Nov 9th after a week in Fla (WDW + a cruise out of Tampa)...and I really enjoy the drive.

We've been going to WDW now each fall ("Jersey Week"...since 2004...and have got it down to a science (pretty much). We leave the house in central Jersey [Exit 9 on the Tpke] at 6am on a Friday...and end up in Brunswick, Ga. at 7:30 that night. So, it's 13.5 hours "trip time"....but if you subtract a lunch stop, potty breaks, and fuel stops....it's around 12 hours of actual driving time....and I do ALL the driving. With someone else to share the driving duties...I'd imagine it'd be a whole lot easier if you don't feel like driving that far (850 miles). When we get into southern So. Carolina...we pick up one of the free Travel Coupon magazines at a rest stop...and call ahead to the hotel to reserve a room and use a coupon for a discount that's usually in there (makes the room about $90 dollars....the same discount is given to AAA members). We always stay in the same Hampton Inn at Exit 36A ....and have breakfast the next morning in the Cracker Barrel that's right across the parking lot. From Brunswick, it's a 3 to 3.5 hour drive to WDW the next morning. That leaves us a large portion of the day to get into our room...and head off to one of the parks and then Downtown Disney for dinner.

The first time we drove to WDW (Spring 2004)...I was clueless of the traffic patterns...and we left on a late Friday morning. That had me hitting D.C. afternoon rush traffic into Virginia...and therefore we only got as far as Florence, SC the first day. The next day was an added 8 hour drive to WDW...which killed the whole day (got to Orlando at 3pm)...and I said that I'd never do that again. So...since then...we do the the 6am departure time which lets me miss the morning Delaware, Maryland, and D.C. traffic woes...and sets me up to be in a hotel between 7:00 and 7:30 at night...with time to get a decent dinner in one of the many restaurants in Brunswick.

In past years, I-95 construction in the D.C. / Alexandria, Va. area had slowed us a bit...but has since been completed. The only other "substantial" I-95 construction I recall was in Georgia....starting a few mile north of Brunswick...and ending slightly south of there. The only downside of that is a slightly reduced speed limit...which doesn't amount to much of a slowdown since I hit that area at night after the construction has finished for the day.

The drive is something I really enjoy...particularly in the fall...when all of NJ's trees are getting brown and "bald". The more south we go...the greener it gets. We also do a fair amount of pre-holiday shopping in WDW...so having my wife's Freestar to lug gifts back north is a big plus.

This year...even with added people and luggage in the van (6 vs the usual 3)...our gas cost was less than $225 round trip...and that also included the extra milage from WDW to Tampa and back (we stayed 2 nights at POP before heading off for a cruise).

...hope that some of my long-winded post was helpful.

...have a great trip.

willowpondarabians
11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Being a person who lives in N. Virginia and works in DC, I have another suggestion to getting around the DC traffic. Rush hour, during the week, starts at 4 am. There is a short breather in the afternoon with evening rush hour starting around 3 pm. Look on your map and see how this route would take you. Head southwest getting yourself on I-81. Take 81 to I-66 east. Then look for Rt 17 south thru Warrenton heading towards Fredericksburg. Take the bypass around Warrenton (even though Warrenton has lots of restaurants and gas stations and our regular unleaded is $1.69 at the moment), where you will join Rt 29/17. Pass Warrenton about 7 miles where Rt. 17 heads south again in a little town called Opal. Just be prepared that turning onto Rt. 17 here is a LEFT hand turn. Stay on Rt 17, and it will take you back to I-95 at the 133 mile marker. You have just missed DC all together. It's a 4 lane highway all the way, and lots of places to stop to eat and fuel up. I always wanted to fly, as it's 2 less days driving, and 2 more days in the park. But you have to take what's best for the budget.

Mackflava99
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks again for all the great replies-

I do agree- flying saves alot of time, but this year we are a little more budget conscious than usual. So we are going to attempt it.
If it is a disaster ( I remember Chevy Chase's Vacation) then we will look to fly again next year...

I will definitely report on it- its not going to happen till June, but we wanted to make a decision now before we wasted time trying to find flights.

mouseketeer mom
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
You're a brave soul, Bryan. I agree about the price of flights, thats part of the reason why we postponed our Thanksgiving trip. However, all that time in the car with the kids.............................................. .......................................... ...................Well, thats a very long time to hear 3 restless kids anxious to get out of the car!!! Also, I have always felt safer flying, then driving on the big highways. So for my own sanity, I would go with the flying, working hard to make that happen, any way I could. BUT..if I truly couldn't, any way that takes me to WDW is a good way .:D

Mackflava99
11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Ok now you are scaring me Lisa...

The twins do get along pretty well- we drive to Maine 2 times a year with no issues..

but thats 1/2 the time required to Disney.

Hmmmm-

pwdebbie
11-28-2008, 09:41 PM
YOU CAN AVOID THE TOLLS BY STAYING ON I-4,BUT IF YOU TAKE 417 OFF I-4 YOU SAVE AT LEAST A 1/2 HOUR MAYBE MORE & YOU DRIVE WITHOUT ANY TRAFFIC,SO THERE IS NO STRESS. WE DID IT IN APRIL & WE ARE GLAD WE DID AS I DID NOT STRESS AT ALL ABOUT ORLANDO TRAFFIC.EITHER WAY YOU WILL GET THERE.

We took 417 in Oct., 2007, and it was a nightmare. Toll after toll (I think it came to over $11.00 by the time all was said and done), and the traffic was horrendous. We left via I-4 and had no problems at all. Never 417 for us again.

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007

thrillme
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Just be sure to carefully price everything out.

2 extra days missed at work (drive down and back) = COST

Extra night at a hotel somewhere = COST

Gas = COST

Wear and tear on car = COST

Extra food, snacks, DVD's REQUIRED for keeping kids peaceful = COST

Be certian to download Southwest's DING and probe the different airlines (Spirit, JetBlue etc). Open your mind to perhaps flying out of another airport nearby if it proves cheaper. Check into the different "bargin" days at the different airlines. I know occasionally Spirit has offered round trips for less than $50 a person. The only bad thing is you have to go on their times.

Remember if you're staying in a Disney Resort Magical Express is FREE. If you're not staying in a Disney Resort you might check into what deals that hotel offers.

I know I have some friends that pool up with other relatives and drive. I guess because they POOL the fuel cost between families it's not so bad. BUT...they do make a 4 hour journey to a first stop spend the night with relatives then they start their 18 hour journey to the first hotel then the next day they travel about anothre 2-3 hours to their Disney hotel where they're usually EXHAUSTED and spend the day doing very little.

You can plan to drive but don't weigh out looking for flights till the last minute.

Mackflava99
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I really think we are going to drive-
Overall- since i have lots of vacation time, thats not the issue. Its do i really want to stay in a car for so many hours.

Here is how i worked it out- ok so maybe 300$ for gas 30 for tolls plus 250$ for hotel stays = 580$
Flights for 4 = 800$ at best plus parking at Newark airport or a taxi = 150$-
so low end we will save 400$ - normally i'd say - well 400$ is worth getting there earlier.
But i think its more of a family thing this year.

plus i have alot of hotel points so i may use them to cut costs.

We are going to do the following-
1.) on the twins last day of school, they get out at 1pm, we will leave immediately after that.
drive to DC (4 hours) stay overnight visit some cousins- get up early and drive.
2.) we can drive from 8 :30 till maybe 7pm ( my family is not going to do well with 12 hours in a car.. ) which should put us in SC or Georgia deoending on the number of stops- I just wonder if we need to book a hotel ahead of time or if we will be able to find one?

goofy78
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
driving can be fun. i have always enjoyed the trip there by car and let the excitement build up. however, the trip home was long. maybe that was a good thing in that it gave you time to wind down and accept the fact that you have to be home before you get there :(

barnaby
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I drove last March from down here in South Jersey.
We left at 5AM, went the long way over the Bay Bridge Tunnel, and stayed overnite in Savannah, GA at around 9PM. That was with stops on the Bay Bridge, South of the Border, plus breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We got up the next morning around 10AM and headed to WDW, stopping at Daytona to see the track (big NASCAR fans). We were checked in, hit the pool to relax for about a half-hour, ate at the food court in AS Movies and were at the park by 5PM.

Going home was a nightmare due to traffic. It took us 17+ hours to get to Richmond,VA. :(

But for next trip (2010), I plan on driving again. It is a great way to spend time with the family and do a little sightseeing along the way. Plus, I hate flying and really like the idea of having my own car at WDW to come and go as I please. However, next trip I do plan on driving straight through to WDW to save some $ and time.

Mickey'sGirl
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
We prefer the drive to flying. We live in the Toronto area and it is about 22 hours door to door using the I-95. We do it with one stop over. I like to have a car when we are down (we usually drive to the parks due to health issues).

We've been driving down with our two boys (now aged 10 and 5) since our youngest was 6 months old -- and it has NEVER been an issue. We stop when and if they need to, otherwise, we play games, watch movies, listen to music or read. We consider the drive to be a real "family" time, and it is part of the trip. Honestly, we enjoy it.

Our stop over going down last March was just outside of Pittsburgh (we left after dinner), then we drove through to WDW from there the next day. We checked in about 8. We have the same plan when we drive down in August.:mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
After I posted this I noticed that my DW beat me to the punch!

As a rule, we plan on driving down. With airfares the way they have been it just made no sense to spend 3-4 times what it takes us to drive down.

Sorry I can't comment on driving from your neck of the woods.

For us it is a 20+ hour drive dependining on the route. We will leave after work around 5 or so and drive 5-6 hours before stopping for the night. The next day we get up early and drive for at least 12 hours, which will put us a couple of hours out of WDW. The next morning we sleep in a bit then head to our resort early and check in. Then we head to the parks.

Some times though on the second day we will drive right through and end up at our resort for the night. The next morning we are already to go!

If you have kids, the in car DVD system is fabulous! We have one that broadcasts on FM channels so we can listen to the movie over the car stereo.

As for hotels we like Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Both places will have a free breakfast. If you want to get up and go, then they will offer you a paper bag breakfast for the road.

masondoggy
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
We drive just about every year (unless I can get airfare for a GREAT deal). We're from NE Ohio. When we drive in Feb we will be leaving here about 7-8 p.m. We drive completely through with no stopping (of course the occasional break and then for breakfast). DH will do all the driving until we get closer to Orlando, then he wants nothing to do with the traffic and hands it over to me.

Our children are 10 & 7, and it's really not that bad of a drive. If anything the drive home is much worse...cause we are leaving Disney!

That's what we're planning to do when we go. We'll leave on Friday as soon as DH can get out of work and drive through the night. I'm hoping it turns out OK, but DH can't get any extra days off and if we leave Saturday morning, that's one less day to enjoy disney. :(

We're hoping to at least be able to have a relaxing day Saturday once we get there. We won't go in the parks, but maybe enjoy the resort pool, take a nap, and then head to downtown disney in the evening. Then we'll be ready for action on Sunday.

If you can afford it FLY.

In about 2-3 hour you're there and you can take a nap or watch a movie on the way.

It's kinda nice having a car to go OTHER places but otherwise...Give me plane any day.

Flying is our dream....but with a family of 6 it's pretty much impossible. Waaaay too much money.

PETE FROM NYC
02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
We have flown down 12 times between 1975 -2007. Now we want to try a driving vacation.
Now that we are both retired, time is not too critical. We just booked our room thru MJ. We will be leaving NYC on Aug.30, and driving to Virginia, stopping there for Busch Gardens-Europe for a day with another day at Kings Dominion.Then we drive to WDW arriving sometime Friday Sept 4.
We will be checking out Sept 12, for a nice leisurely drive back home, stopping wherever and whenever the mood hits us.

wdwfansince75
02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
We will be checking out Sept 12, for a nice leisurely drive back home, stopping wherever and whenever the mood hits us.

Pete,
If I may be so bold....perhaps you would enjoy heading home by way of the Shenandoah Valley....take 95 North into South Carolina....than pick up 77 North....straight through to 81 North....Pick up I 78 above Harrisburg, PA, and take it right to the GW Bridge....not much longer than 95, and lots prettier....Beautiful drive, with lots of places to stop. Just be careful of Saturday driving, as you pass very close to VA Tech and James Madison....Traffic and hotels are a nightmare on game days.
Skyline Drive, Luray Caverns among the things to see....
And maybe even a side trip into PA Dutch country....
By the way, I was born in Jamaica Hospital...raised in northeastern PA...tiny little town of Saylorsburg....If the family and I hadn't been exiled in 45, I, not you, would have claim to the title....Of course, then I would have missed all of my adventures!

pwdebbie
02-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I live off of I-81 in PA and think Pete is giving you a great suggestion. Cut over to Skyline Drive and take a nice leisurely drive through the Shenandoahs (due the speed limit on this road, it WILL be a leisurely drive), then pick up either Rt. 15N or I-81N/Rt. 30E and visit Gettysburg. Swing on up to Hershey for a day at Hershey Park, and then hit the Lancaster area. Sounds like a plan to me!

Duchess99
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
This is such a great thread...thank you everyone for your comments!
My fiance and I are planning on driving down in September for our honeymoon. We live in CT, but are getting married on the NJ Shore. Neither of us have ever driven before and he is hesitant about it. I've always wanted to do it and when else will we be able to take the extended time.
I love the idea of going back through Shanendoh to mix up the drive. It only tacks on about an hour to the trip.
I'm glad to hear positive feedback on driving as maybe I can make the convincing a bit easier :)

barnaby
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
This is such a great thread...thank you everyone for your comments!
My fiance and I are planning on driving down in September for our honeymoon. We live in CT, but are getting married on the NJ Shore. Neither of us have ever driven before and he is hesitant about it. I've always wanted to do it and when else will we be able to take the extended time.
I love the idea of going back through Shanendoh to mix up the drive. It only tacks on about an hour to the trip.
I'm glad to hear positive feedback on driving as maybe I can make the convincing a bit easier :)

Its a pretty easy trip, last year was my first time as a driver. But I also don't mind driving long distances.
Good thing about heading to WDW, is there are many places to stop, eat, and rest.

What town at the Jersey Shore? Just curious, I lived in Wildwood Crest for several years.

pwdebbie
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Actually, if you take Skyline Drive, your drive is substantially slower. If I recall, the speed limit is 30. The whole idea is to slow down and take in the scenery. I think you will add more than an hour to your trip.

Duchess99
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
What town at the Jersey Shore? Just curious, I lived in Wildwood Crest for several years.
I grew up in Monmouth County so we're going back there for the wedding...much farther north than you :)

Actually, if you take Skyline Drive, your drive is substantially slower. If I recall, the speed limit is 30. The whole idea is to slow down and take in the scenery. I think you will add more than an hour to your trip.
Thanks for the heads up...I was just going by Google maps. I've never been in that area before and I've heard it's beautiful, so it might be worth the extra time.

Mackflava99
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Ok - so now we are leaving 3pm from Long Branch NJ
as soon as the kids are out of school my wife is picking me up and we are on our way,

I wonder how far we can get on a friday night:)
DC or further?

joonyer
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM
We always drive, but its an easy choice for us, only a 5 hour drive. Even when gas was $4.00 per gal. it still only cost us less than $140.00 round trip, and another $25 for a quick stop meal on the way. Less than $200 for a family of four. We'd have to drive north to ATL to fly anyway and by the time we drove to the airport, parked, went through security, and did the same in Orlando, it would take just as much time.

Even if you live 1000 miles away, if your car averages about 20 mpg on the highway, fuel costs would only be $250 round trip at $2.50 per gal.

But is you live much further than that, I can see the convenience of traveling by air, even if would cost a good but more. On the other hand, you can see a lot more sights on the way and back if you drive. Sometimes the trip there and back is half the fun. Well, . . . maybe on a trip to WDW, it's not half the fun, but you know what I mean.

Mackflava99
06-02-2009, 03:35 PM
we are slighly over a thousand, so like you say, it is economical for us.
We are going to try,... it ill be another adventure, hopefully just as magical.

diz_girl
06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Ok - so now we are leaving 3pm from Long Branch NJ
as soon as the kids are out of school my wife is picking me up and we are on our way,

I wonder how far we can get on a friday night:)
DC or further?

You can get farther south than DC if you leave Long Branch at 3 p.m. You might be able to get to Richmond or even North Carolina by 10 p.m. - IF you avoid DC rush hour.

Since you're leaving from Long Branch on a Friday in June, the Parkway shouldn't be too bad. Just a warning, leaving later than 3 p.m. from Long Branch gets crowded, as both the beach traffic and Monmouth Park track make 36 problematic. But if you hear of any delays form the traffic reports in-between exits 105 and 98, then I'd suggest taking Route 18 to get to 195 East. 195 East should be smooth sailing all the way to either the Turnpike or 295. Even though the Turnpike exit is closer, I prefer 295 because there are fewer cars and trucks. You might be OK with traffic if you get over the Del Mem Br by 5 p.m. But if you hear of bad traffic over the DMB, then try the Commodore Barry Bridge.

You may want to stop at either Maryland House or Chesapeake house for dinner and a break. However, I'd recommend the Cracker Barrel in Elkton, MD. Elkton also has other fast food outlets and even a Waffle House. You should get at one of those locations around 5:30. At the Maryland House or Chesapeake House, BEWARE of the panhandlers (there are several) who will approach you in the parking lot and give you a sob story about how their mother/father is sick and they only have X dollars (usually fewer than five) to get to PA/NJ/etc.

Stopping for dinner for about an hour will help you avoid Baltimore rush hour and most likely DC rush hour, since you won't get to Baltimore until about 7 p.m. and to DC around 8 p.m., of course if everything goes smoothly. Never stop between Baltimore and DC unless absolutely necessary, as any place advertised on the exit signs is ten miles down some road and will add way too much time to your trip. It's better to stop south of the DC I-95 loop. If DC traffic is still bad by 7 or 8 p.m., there's always the 301, which will take longer but it beats sitting in traffic.

Richmond is an hour or so south of the DC I-95 loop, so you should get there sometime between 9 and 10 p.m. You can continue on to Rocky Mount, NC if you're feeling ambitious. From Rocky Mount, NC, it is only a 10 hour drive to WDW, not including breaks. If you get on the road early, then you can be in WDW by dinnertime.

Good luck and have a great time!

marylouwho
06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Bryan,
I'd like to hear how you do with driving down. We considered it for a while, but I thought that I would arrive exhausted, plus my younger daughter doesn't travel well.

Have a great time!

Tink-N-Me
06-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of great advice on routes and such. We always drive from New Orleans. Although we are already in the south, our drive time with food and restroom breaks usually runs between 10 to 12 hours depending on where we eat. The one problem we always encounter along the way is finding clean restrooms. My DH has a Harley and once we stopped at a Harley store so he could pick up a souvenir shirt. The people were friendly, the restrooms were clean, many have a sitting area with vending machines and free coffee. Now they are always factored into our drive.

Mackflava99
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
You can get farther south than DC if you leave Long Branch at 3 p.m. You might be able to get to Richmond or even North Carolina by 10 p.m. - IF you avoid DC rush hour.
!

I totally appreciate this insight, very helpful. thank you SOOOOO much !!
Bryan

Mackflava99
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Bryan,
I'd like to hear how you do with driving down. We considered it for a while, but I thought that I would arrive exhausted, plus my younger daughter doesn't travel well.

Have a great time!

Thanks Marylou- I didnt see you at Field day? were you there?
we need to synch schedules.