PDA

View Full Version : Up -- Disney/Pixar (Now on DVD)

NotaGeek
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Disney/Pixar has finally put up the official page for their 2009 release Up -- you can check out the Offical Up Website (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/up/) -- Disney has finally updated the site since they were advertising it on the Superbowl ... you can see the teaser there. This is late to not have a whole trailer yet...

NotaGeek
02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
It was nice to see Disney promoting this movie finally, however it would be really nice if they had a real trailer out! The teasers don't say much, and it makes me a bit nervous that there's not better buzz about the movie yet.

Maybe an insider will stop by with some wisdom!

IamBelle
02-02-2009, 08:48 AM
The movie looks good. BTW, I think the main character is the oldest Pixar character so far. Can anyone confirm?

Mickey'sGirl
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Well, number 2 son got a movie gift card for his 5th birthday last week. I asked him if we should go to the movies, and he said "We need to save it for UP!"...So whatever advertising there has been has worked some charm!

Alligirl
02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
The movie looks good. BTW, I think the main character is the oldest Pixar character so far. Can anyone confirm?

Yes his name is Karl and he is 78 yrs old The movie starts about the time he is supposed to leave his house and move into a nursing home! I was lucky enough to get into a panel at comic con. The Director & Producer spoke about the movie and showed a few clips! It looks Great!

Lacy
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I was surprised about the lack of hype but have no doubts that the movie will be great! Pixar has yet to disappoint.

Mickey'sGirl ~ That is too cute about your son. It shows how perceptive they really are.

Melanie
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
I personally don't think the hype for Up is any less (or more) than other Pixar films in the past. It's only February. In my opinion (which I know isn't shared by many others) it can only go 'up' from Wall-E.

As expected, I'm sure next year the "buzz" (no pun intended) for Toy Story 3 next year will be HUGE.

LarryBoy
02-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I personally don't think the hype for Up is any less (or more) than other Pixar films in the past. It's only February. In my opinion (which I know isn't shared by many others) it can only go 'up' from Wall-E.

As expected, I'm sure next year the "buzz" (no pun intended) for Toy Story 3 next year will be HUGE.

Got to disagree. :D I absolutely loved Wall-E, as did my family. I thought it was one of the most unique and best written stories I'd seen in a long time. But to each his own. :D
I hope UP keeps up :blush: Pixar's streak of fine story telling combined with beautiful animation. I'm sure we all have our favorites, but I don't think they have had a stinker yet.

NotaGeek
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
The first reviews are in and it's looking VERY good for this film! Up was also selected to be the opening film at Cannes Film Festival ...

brownie
05-13-2009, 08:00 AM
It looks good from what I've seen. It's grown on me; those first initial teasers and the title weren't really grabbing me.

Time had a nice write-up in the latest issue.

NotaGeek
05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
From the official Cannes Website:

The 62nd Cannes Festival opens with "Up" by Pete Docter and Bob Peterson

This is the first time in the history of the Cannes Festival that a 3D cartoon is being screened as the keynote motion picture at the opening ceremonies, a sign that animation is coming into its own. Up, the tenth movie produced by Disney-Pixar studios, features a crotchety old man, who narrates the wondrous tale, and a little boy along for the ride with him, as the man's house is lifted skyward pulled upwards by thousands of helium balloons. Their amazing journey will take them to the heart of a lost world, and in the process, they will discover themselves.

Directors Pete Docter and Bob Peterson drew inspiration for their nostalgia-tinged cartoon from the great Disney classics like Dumbo, seeking to enchant audiences the old-fashioned way "whether in terms of the design, the language level, or the image structure." The team's byword was "simplicity of spirit": the key to achieving "the simplicity that makes the subject crystal-clear and bright." "To create Up's world, we could not use what had already been made, producer Jonas Rivera commented. We had to reinvent how people were represented, their clothes, hair, water, or any other element of the story. We had to define a graphic style in harmony with our subject for this fable and adventure. Our approach defined itself by looking for the real heart or for the dominant feature of each of its elements, which isn't very common for a caricature."

Raising the excitement even higher, a live broadcast of the opening ceremonies including the French premiere of Up, voiced by Charles Aznavour, will screen simultaneously in four other French cities. Movie viewers of all ages in Paris, Rennes, Lyon, and Marseille will have an opportunity to delight in this 3D animated feature at the same time as Cannes festival goers.

handmaidenofprincesses
05-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Unless you count the guy who plays chess with himself before A Bug's Life (I think it's called "Geri's Game")

NJDad
05-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Unless you count the guy who plays chess with himself before A Bug's Life (I think it's called "Geri's Game")

Who also popped up in Toy Story 2.

Ed
05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Just bought tix for the 3D version at the Downtown Disney AMC for 7:30 tomorrow night. Looking forward to this one; looks like a winner!

:balloon:

Captain_Nemo
05-28-2009, 07:35 PM
anyone going to see "UP" tonight? got my tickets for the 12:01am show. AMC theatres is showing, cant find it anywhere else like Regal cinemas. AMC Marple 10 is one of the few that is showing "UP" around Philly. 12:01 °o° :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
05-29-2009, 07:08 AM
We will be going to the 3D showing after school today :D

citizensnoopy
05-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm so excited to see this --- hopefully sometime this weekend! :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-29-2009, 01:26 PM
My 3 year old LOVES Pixar movies (Disney animated...not so much). :blush:

He has seen: Cars, Bug's Life, Toy Story 1&2, Finding Nemo

I am debating taking him to see Up. He LOVES balloons. LOVES them. Also likes dogs a lot. I think he'd enjoy this movie.

Thing is, he's never seen a movie in the theatre. This would be his first theatre experience. He has seen Thomas and Friends Live on Stage. Sat through the whole 90 min show, no problem.

Should I do it? Or, is 3 too young for the movie theatre? I would take him to an early show, so he'd bother less adults. ;)

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Natalie -- if you think he will enjoy it, you should take him. We've been taking our kids to kid friendly movies since they were 2. We made sure to go during the day, when you would expect more families in attendance, and if there was any fussing or acting up, we removed him from the theatre. (We only had to do that once with Curious George). Didn't want to get the look, or to negatively impact another guests movie experience.

I can't remember if your youngest has ASD or not, but if he does, I recommend covering his ears during the ads and previews and THX zooming at the start of the movie. It is very loud, and can be quite upsetting to a sensitive child (DS11 still covers his ears!).

jcvalenti
05-29-2009, 02:07 PM
My 3 year old is going tonight, with my wife, my other son and 2 of his friends. We take the younger one everywhere, and he's generally pretty agreeable ... it helps having an older sibling there to work as a role model.

If he starts talking or getting rambunctuous, just take him out and for a brief walk. At that age, they're not really following the story too much.

My wife wanted to bring him tonight because we are going to WDW in 2 weeks and she wants him to get used to sitting in a theatre and wearing those 3D glasses, so he can hang at Philharmagic, Muppetvision 3D, Tough to be a Bug and Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

Pagan
05-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I just read a review in the NY Daily News that praised the film, but the writer - Elizabeth Weitzman - made this ridiculous statement at the end:

If there's any oversight, it's that girls will find themselves curiously underrepresented in yet another of Pixar's grand adventures. The company does such an extraordinary job making movies for everyone. Shouldn't they be about everyone?

How ridiculous! "Yet another of Pixar's grand adventures"?

I wrote her an email asking her to do some research before making a false statement like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of "Up" and the two "Toy Story" movies, if memory serves me every other one featured at least one major female character.

Some people just need to find something wrong with everything, huh?

marlaine
05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
My DS5 and I are going to the 3D version at 4:10 today! As our tradition, I went to the Disney Store and got him an "Up" t-shirt to wear to school and the movie today.
As far as advertising, my son's t-shirt had a picture of Dug the dog and said "I smell you". His teacher gave me a funny look and asked him what that meant. I guess only kids and parents of kids are the only ones who have paid attention to the advertising!:secret:

Madame Leona
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
It really just depends on the child. My older ds (3) has been going to the movies for about a year and a half now. My younger ds (1.5) will probably be about 30 before I take him to the movies.

kakn7294
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
We took both of our DDs to the movies nearly as soon as they were born. I'm not kidding - DD14 went to a Batman movie when she was just a few months old. When the movie was over, the guy in front of us turned around, saw her, and exclaimed that they never even knew she was there. My DDs have also been to nearly every Disney movie to hit the theaters. In a movie theater that is bound to be full of other kids, your son should be just fine. And as an adult, I expect kids to be at a Disney movie so they don't bother me unless they are totally misbehaving. Just be prepared to leave the theater if the need arises but I bet he'll be fine.

LibertyTreeGal
05-29-2009, 09:15 PM
yes, unless he is scared of mean dogs and if so then I would definitely wait.

LibertyTreeGal
05-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Just got back and it was a BEAUTIFUL work of art -- emotionally, cinematically, the whole shebang.

I also loved it's portrayal of the elderly, not relegating them to one-dimensional roles, but really funny, angry, sad, really REAL people.

I won't give anything away but if you are expecting nothing but a grumpy old man and a annoying little boy, you are in for a surprise.

And hey, got a trailer for toy Story 3, due out June 18, 2009 YEAH!

Kathy Jetson
05-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm going to see it in 3D on Tuesday with ds5 and then go to the disney store after thats our little tradition I can't wait:)

Kathy Jetson
05-29-2009, 10:06 PM
When my son was 3 he was afriad of the loud sounds at the beginning of the movies after that he was fine, he would start to get restless so I would let him get out of his seat and walk around right in front of our seats (not bothering anyone else.) I say go for it and see.

Mufasa
05-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Should I do it? Or, is 3 too young for the movie theatre? I would take him to an early show, so he'd bother less adults. ;)

As far as worrying about bothering adults- I wouldn't. If any adults really don't want to be bothered, there are plenty of theaters (the Cinema Fusion theater at Anaheim Gardenwalk for example) that offer 21+ screenings of movies including ones like Up.

It probably would be a bit of a drive, but there's always the experience of catching a Disney film at the El Capitan theater which is a treat because it's a throwback experience complete with an organist that plays Disney tunes and even a small stage show before the film with Disney characters which can help burn off any excess energy for extremely active little ones. There's also the Disney Soda fountain shop next door for an added bonus (good idea after the film though and not before unless you want that sugar rush and crash!)

A potential drawback to the El Capitan is the presentation is in Disney Digital 3D- younger children especially can have difficulty sitting through the entire presentation with the 3D glasses on.

I really don't think Up suffers any from being seen in 2D- the 3D is very subtle and while it does offer some richness and depth to the animation at the same time I agree with some critics (saw a write-up recently by Roger Ebert) that just by the nature of how they project 3D, you do lose some brightness of the image and Up is a film with some rich colors and wonderful textures that a good 2D presentation might be better.

Personally I like catching films that are projected digitally at a theater like the Landmark in West LA because they feature Sony's 4K projectors for their digital screenings and you mostly avoid some of the more obnoxious teenagers at the other major megaplex theaters so it is almost, though not quite as good as some of the screening rooms at the studio itself.

As for the movie- there are probably a few scenes that might scare little ones. Up does carry a PG rating for what they say is "some peril and action". It is similar in some ways to how The Incredibles carried a PG rating for the "violence" but it's certainly not more than what you'd find on any cartoon on TV.

When I've sat in on some preview screenings with young audiences, I think that kids weren't necessarily scared by what they saw on screen, but because of what was happening from the emotional connection that they make to the characters (does that make sense?). Yes there are some barking/growling dogs but the action sequences might upset little ones more because they worry about the character's safety.

Also, there are a few beautifully animated montages in the film that will probably emotionally affect the adults (and doesn't matter whether you easily cry at movies or not- I think anyone would find it difficult not to get choked up a bit) where understanding Carl's heartbreak is implied by what you see on the screen but might be difficult for children to understand. I often heard kids asking their parents "what happened?" so you may have to explain a few things to a little one but for the most part I think that kids just understand the simple fact that Carl is sad.

Boojum
05-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Saw it at 6:15 this evening. Absolutely adored it--found myself tearing up at some of it, and laughing my head off during other parts.

I won't post any spoilers, but it has a great message: Cherish your families and each experience you have with them, whether boring or exciting!

lovemykaitlyn
05-30-2009, 06:38 AM
We are going to see today, so excited! :mjump:
3D also!!!:waycool:
Saw the Disney surprise opening weekend promo that says to watch for the "Easter Eggs". Little references to other movies from Pixar. I will try to see if I can find A113 or the Toy Story Pizza Planet truck or maybe some others they have snuck in. It says that you should check back after June 1st for a surprise.Even more excited about Toy Story 3! Just can't get enough of the first two. I have seen them many times and enjoy them every time! I was so worried when Pixar was splitting from Disney, I'm glad it all came back together. They compliment each other well! :tink:

Ed
05-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Just got back and it was a BEAUTIFUL work of art -- emotionally, cinematically, the whole shebang.

I also loved it's portrayal of the elderly, not relegating them to one-dimensional roles, but really funny, angry, sad, really REAL people.

I won't give anything away but if you are expecting nothing but a grumpy old man and a annoying little boy, you are in for a surprise.

And hey, got a trailer for toy Story 3, due out June 18, 2009 YEAH!

We saw it in 3D last night at Downtown Disney; the two of us give it 10 thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Outstanding is too mild a word.

No spoilers from me either, but I will say this - - if you choose not to see this one, you're making a huge mistake.

One correction, LibertyTreeGal; Toy Story 3 doesn't come out until June 2010, not this year.

Ed
05-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I just read a review in the NY Daily News that praised the film, but the writer - Elizabeth Weitzman - made this ridiculous statement at the end:

If there's any oversight, it's that girls will find themselves curiously underrepresented in yet another of Pixar's grand adventures. The company does such an extraordinary job making movies for everyone. Shouldn't they be about everyone?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of "Up" and the two "Toy Story" movies, if memory serves me every other one featured at least one major female character.

Some people just need to find something wrong with everything, huh?

UP does have a major female character - Ellie. Once you see the movie, you'll realize that she is absolutely central to the entire story line. Without her, there is no story.

And Toy Story had Jessie.

I wonder if the Daily News' Ms. Weitzman has ever had anything to say about numerous "chick flicks" that have no major male character? :mad:

LibertyTreeGal
05-30-2009, 08:21 AM
One correction, LibertyTreeGal; Toy Story 3 doesn't come out until June 2010, not this year.

yep, lol -- I have been writing 2009 over and over again and just auto-wrote it lol

LibertyTreeGal
05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Weitzman got absolutely skewered over at rotten tomatoes for that -- I wonder if she complains about Disney's princess obsession as being unfair to boys.... oh, probably not! When you go through life with an agenda, you are going to see proof of it everywhere, even when it doesn't exist.

And you are right TiggTigg5, Ellie IS the central figure in the movie.

So, Bo Peep, Princess Atta and Dot, Jessie, Dori, Boo, Mrs Incredible and Violet, Elle, and Sally don't count, I guess /rolleyes

Not only are Pixar women present and accounted for, but they are also STRONG women.

DisneyDog
05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I took DS6 to see it last night. We both loved it!!! I think it's now my favorite Pixar film. That is mostly due to Dug. I want him to be my dog!! Also, I was happily thinking of the Adventurer's Club throughout the film. It got applause at the end. The last film I saw that got applause was Dreamgirls. To me, that is HUGE and wonderful.

Oh, on the way out of the theater (on opening night, mind you) DS asks "when can I see Up! 2?"

BrerGnat
05-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Thank you for all the input! I think I am going to go ahead and take BOTH my kids. I am going to be brave and go outside my comfort zone. The matinee this morning is only $6, so if it all goes bad, it's only $18 down the tubes if we have to leave early...:blush:

Mufasa: thank you for your detailed information! I am not considering a 3-D screening at this time, simply because my kids HATE wearing glasses of any kind, so no point in that.

Also, thank you for the information about the "emotional" aspects of the film. Honestly, I WELCOME that sort of thing in a movie. My older son is only just about 5, but he has Autism, and being empathetic is something he is just starting to pick up on. I would actually cry out of happiness if he even picked up on the fact that a character was feeling ANY sort of particular emotion, let alone expressed concern about it. It would be a huge step forward developmentally for him, so if this movie presents those types of scenarios, I'm all for it! All too often, kid's programming just comes out and tells the kids "X is feeling scared" or whatever, but they don't SHOW the character feeling it, so it's very hard for my son to understand what "scared" looks like. A movie that maybe presents situations where there is "danger", "sadness", "scared" in a more dramatic fashion may make more of an impact for him.

As for my younger one...the reason why I was concerned that he'd "bother" adults is that he is severely speech delayed. However, he is now starting to talk and use words that he knows. What he does is yells out labels for things he sees on t.v. that he can say, and he'll probably do that during the movie. Not much of a social filter on that kid yet (he IS three), so telling him to "shhhh" during the movie will result more in a tantrum or crying than him actually being quiet. So, that was my concern there, plus his speech therapists don't want us "shushing" his attempts to speak, so it's sort of a catch-22 as far as being out in public spaces is concerned.

NotaGeek
05-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Ok .. I just got back from Up and I honestly LOVED it. It was totally funny, totally heart warming and had great messages for all audiences. I even got a bit misty eyed. I am going to see it next weekend in 3-D ... I just had to see if it was worth the extra money. :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-30-2009, 05:00 PM
So, I took the boys on my own. We had to leave about 30 min into the film. :(

DS3 actually was doing pretty well. He was being a bit annoying (talking, standing on his seat, etc.), but he was overall into the film, and the whole "movie experience". He was not bothered at all by the noise, dark, etc. He seemed to like it.

DS4 (the one with Autism) was not doing so well once the trailers started. I think it was too loud for him. He immediately began asking to "go see the fountain" (outside). He then started saying "Max wants to be all done with this movie" before the movie even started. :( I talked him into staying at LEAST until the balloons carried the house away (that was the part he was most interested in when watching the trailers), but once that part happened, he would not stop perseverating about leaving the theatre, so we had to go.

Oh well. I tried. At least now I know that they're just not ready yet. I think we got there too early too. I wanted to get good seats, so we ended up being in the theatre for about an hour total, which was longer than I expected, to be honest. They did better than I thought, so that's something. :)

What I did see of the movie, I LOVED. I want to see the rest of it now! I guess I'll have to get a babysitter so I can go next weekend or something. :blush:

Thanks for your advice everyone. It's hard to have to accept sometimes that what others are able to do with their kids with no problems whatsoever are SO much harder when you have kids with developmental issues. I was blown away by the number of BABIES in there with their parents...I would have never been able to bring my kids in there at those ages...those families that can do that have no idea how lucky they are. :sad:

tinkerbelle75
05-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow, this is a fantastic movie!! It looks like I will be the first to admit I had tears rolling down my cheeks TWICE during the movie:secret: (and I refuse to let anyone see me cry!). I think Pixar outdid themselves with this one. Can't wait for TS3!!!

Mufasa
05-31-2009, 01:14 AM
If you attended a digital showing of Up (whether in 2D or 3D)- did your theater also show the Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" before the main feature?

Theaters showing up in digital projection should have shown a Toy Story 3 teaser trailer, the Partly Cloudy short and then the main feature (traditional film presentations have "The Princess and the Frog" attached to them in place of the Toy Story 3 teaser)

I have seen a number of comments and reports (and even personally attended a screening yesterday in 3D) where they did not show the Pixar short before the movie and have reported this to some contacts I have at the Disney Studios and Pixar so they can follow up with the theater operators, but am curious to see if this really is a more widespread issue than initially thought.

If your theater projected a traditional film print, then you should not have been affected since the Princess and the Frog trailer and Partly Cloudy are part of the first reel of the film.

I know from my personal dealings with colleagues at Pixar that they are very particular about the presentation standards for their films, and it is particularly troubling that a number of moviegoers missed out on getting to see the accompanying short.

Even when I personally complained to the particular local theater's management on duty about the missing short, they seemed to not care and I feel bad for those other customers who attended and had no idea that they missed out on the short (I overheard a number of comments from people who were a bit confused that there wasn't the traditional short before the film).

mac badger
05-31-2009, 01:30 AM
i saw this movie last night, and i can't even express how much i loved it. it was so wonderful, and funny and sad, but ultimately uplifting.
i think the sad parts will be over the heads of most kids, but this is a film to go see with someone you love. i think it was even more touching than wall-e. it may be my new favorite pixar (i'll have to wait a while for it to settle in to be sure) do not miss it

and i can't wait for the talking dug plush toys to come out (i hope they will make them, i want one!)

NotaGeek
05-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Hey Mufasa ... I totally forgot about Partly Cloudy I enjoyed Up so much ... yes, I saw it, and I thought it was one of the best shorts that Pixar has made. I was also SO impressed with Princess and the Frog trailer ... the animation is SO rich and the movie looks really good!

ransam
05-31-2009, 04:09 AM
This movie blew me away.
wow..
it was sad, happy, touching, heartwarming.
I love how pixar can develop the characters.. i fell in love w/ these characters...
and it always blows me away how pixar is able to develop their story w/o any talking...there was a 10 minute period early in the movie where there's no talking....but it's the most important part of the movie....what great story telling.

Melanie
05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Pixar goes `Up' with $68.2 million debut weekend

LOS ANGELES (AP) – The animated action comedy "Up" is soaring in its first weekend at theaters.

According to distributor Walt Disney, the film from Pixar Animation pulled in $68.2 million.

That's the third-best opening weekend for a Pixar animated film, just behind the $70 million debuts for "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles." "Up" came in about $5 million ahead of Pixar's "WALL-E" last summer.

Factoring in higher admission prices, some other early Pixar movies such as "Toy Story 2" and "Monsters, Inc." also sold more tickets than "Up" over their first weekends.

Critics gave glowing reviews to "Up," the story of a lonely widower who ties helium balloons to his house and flies off on a South American adventure.

houseofmouse103
05-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow, where did I leave my anti-depressants & when does group therapy start? Someone asked if this was appropriate for a 3 year old? I don't know if it was appropriate for a 42 year old!

mel
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Up was fantastic. Not at all what I thought it would be. Go see it.

Ed
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Going to merge this post with the existing thread on "Up" - - just a little housekeeping.

SpecJoe Magic
05-31-2009, 11:29 PM
If you attended a digital showing of Up (whether in 2D or 3D)- did your theater also show the Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" before the main feature?

Oh, so there was supposed to be a short prior to the film? I had assumed that they just didn't make one this time around. I wonder why the short isn't being shown in some places. By the way, I saw it in 3-D.

Mufasa
06-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Oh, so there was supposed to be a short prior to the film? I had assumed that they just didn't make one this time around. I wonder why the short isn't being shown in some places. By the way, I saw it in 3-D.

Thanks for the feedback as every bit of data helps to narrow down the exact cause of why some theaters did not show the short.

I'd certainly suggest following up with your theater to report the issue to them if you can (especially since you were missed out on enjoying a wonderful short).

With a digital presentation a playlist (not unlike putting together an MP3 playlist on your computer) is assembled where the feature film is one file, the Toy Story 3 teaser is another file and the pixar short is a separately encoded file.

There are several areas that could be the root underlying problem- is it a computer issue (particular hardware/projector combination at fault?). It could always be theater/human operator error and they did not properly build the playlist or perhaps did not properly install the keys for playback. O perhaps the digital file itself was corrupted.

All theaters should ahead of time go through a QC check and Disney/Pixar send out several reps to screenings across the country to check for issues but I have even read a report of a press screening where a studio publicist noticed that the short wasn't screened prior to Up and had them stop and restart the presentation.

Mufasa
06-01-2009, 01:39 AM
and i can't wait for the talking dug plush toys to come out (i hope they will make them, i want one!)

A 11" talking Dug plush is available now- It's around $20 I believe and says 7 different phrases when you press on his paw.

You can also get talking plush figures of the other dogs in the pack- Alpha, Beta and Gamma

Up at Pixar, Bob Peterson (co-writer/co-director who voices Dug and Alpha and previously voiced Roz in Monsters Inc. and Mr. Ray from Finding Nemo)- one day they fitted a real dog with a fake translator collar like the movie (which hid a microphone/speaker) and set up hidden cameras so Bob could remotely talk as Dug and improv lines while he sat in a hidden room and surprised a lot of people visiting the campus and playing around with this dog.

brownie
06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
We saw UP in digital 3D. We saw both the Toy Story 3 trailer and the Partly Cloudy short.

UP was a very good movie, I really enjoyed it. I didn't catch where A113 was in it, but I did see the ball and the Pizza Planet truck. If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend you see it.

Partly Cloudy was good, too. They are doing some good work on their shorts.

DisneyWhirled
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
We saw the "traditional" format-no 3D. We saw the preview for The Princess and the Frog and the short Partly Cloudy. The short was great!!

UP! Was better than I expected, by far. It was a great movie. Like previous posters, I teared up and laughed. One of my favorite Disney/Pixar films (and I soooo didn't expect much from it!)!!

LibertyTreeGal
06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I saw it in 3D, got the short but not the Princess and the Frog Trailer

Ed
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Would you like your very own 3-D "Carl", "Russell" or Carl's house suspended below thousands of balloons?

CLICK HERE (http://family.go.com/entertainment/pkg-disney-up-printables/?CMP=OTC-DIS_Pictures_UP)

Suggestion ~~ Print them on very heavy paper or light card stock.

I have a "Carl" being held vertical by slipping him over a bottle of vitamins (appropriately enough!).

There are a few other related craft projects on that same page.

Enjoy!

janebanks
06-01-2009, 06:57 PM
So, I took the boys on my own. We had to leave about 30 min into the film.

I'm sorry it didn't work out. :(

IloveDisney71
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I saw the traditional version (for some reason 3-D movies give me a headache). I loved the short - it was so funny. It had everyone laughing out loud.
I wasn't really sure exactly what Up was going to be about. The trailors left a lot to the imagination. This movie is one of my favorite Pixar movies. I laughed, I almost cried, and I enjoyed the meaning behind the movie. Without giving away any of the plot, this movie really hit home with me and a recent loss I went through. I think MANY people will relate to the story like I did and will love it as much as I did.

2Epcot
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
We saw UP last night in Digital 3D at the AMC theater in Tustin. We had both the Partly Cloudy short, as well as the Toy Story 3 Trailer.

I thought Partly Cloudy was great. I just love how the 3D animation and textures just get better and better.

UP was fantastic. I really enjoyed the movie. Great characters and animation. My wife thought the movie was good. I had more appreciation for the detail animation as well as the story. Pixar amazes me with each film they do.

amy-rella
06-03-2009, 12:45 AM
We finally got to see it tonight - in digital 3D. We live in SW Ohio and the theater did show Partly Cloudy and the Toy Story 3 trailer. We loved Partly Cloudy!! I would love to see it again. I look forward to the shorts and would have been very disappointed if they didn't show it. I'm kinda bummed we didn't get to see the Princess & the Frog trailer. Our girls (and me too) would have loved it.

As for the movie itself, it was spectacular! I loved how the 3D just draws you into the film itself. It is executed so well that I forgot I was wearing the glasses. The story is so heartwarming. It is refreshing to see a movie that is truly for everyone. From our 6 year old daughter to her 41 year old Dad - we all teared up, laughed, worried, giggled, etc.

I am wondering if there is a soundtrack available. I looked on a few websites but cannot find anything. I hope it is released soon - I love the music of all Disney/Pixar films!

VolMickey
06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Gotta say that I was skeptical about it. Didn't seem like much of a story line, as someone indicated above the trailer stunk. Also, Ed Asner ... really?!?

It turned out to be a great, funny and heart-warming film. The graphics were awesome and it was easy to warm up to "Carl" in the beginning of the movie, despite preconceptions about him from the trailer.

Our family recommends it! :trio:

BluewaterBrad
06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Fun movie!:mickey:

the other micki
06-04-2009, 01:04 AM
My family saw the new Pixar movie, Up, today. We loved it! One of the best yet!

Anyone else seen it?

gueli
06-04-2009, 03:15 AM
Hey Mufasa ... I totally forgot about Partly Cloudy I enjoyed Up so much ... yes, I saw it, and I thought it was one of the best shorts that Pixar has made...

what about 'presto' ? wven when i rewatch it I still laugh.

Partly cloudy set an excellent tone for this movie.

:mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
06-04-2009, 04:00 AM
We saw it last Sunday, and we also think it is fantastic. :mickey:

tinkwest
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
DH & DS saw the movie in 3D (with Partly Cloudy :stork: & Toy Story Trailer, such as it was). DD & I saw the non-3D version. We all loved it. I would go to see this movie again in a heartbeat.

I wondered how many little kids would understand the beginning of the movie and it's connection with the rest of the movie. (Actually I only saw one person that seemed to be under 18 when I saw the movie and my DS - 25 - said he was probably one of the youngest in the theater at his showing). But even if they don't "get it", I think younger children would enjoy the adventures of Larry, Kevin, & Dug. :puppy:

animalkingdomguy
06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I watched UP and like a true geek I stayed until the very end of the credits. I noticed a dedication to the real Carl and Ellie Fredericksen placed at the end of the credits. Did anyone else see this and if so who where these people and how did they inspire this story?

PirateLover
06-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Saw a regular viewing today at 7, got Princess and Frog and Partly Cloudy.

I don't think I've ever cried so much at separate moments at a movie. I cried at least 4 times. This movie was soooo sad yet heartwarming. Beautiful movie. The beginning is brutal though.

the other micki
06-05-2009, 12:09 AM
This movie was soooo sad yet heartwarming. Beautiful movie. The beginning is brutal though.

You are so right! They really drag you in quick with the characters and then :cry:

But I laughed outloud more than I teared up...such a wonderful movie! :cloud9:

Saw Night at the Museum 2 with my DS 8 last week and did neither.

NJDad
06-07-2009, 05:58 AM
The soundtrack is available only as a download at itunes or amazon. No CD. (Boo!)

As for kids 'getting' the opening scenes-my 7 year old son is still devastated and was pretty sad for the whole movie.

And as for the lack of female characters, when we asked who his favorite was he said "Ellie".

And for why 3D can give you a headache, supposedly it hurts your brain to try to focus on things that aren't really where your brain thinks they are, which is what 3D is all about. Probably takes a while because the short films at WDW don't usually make you feel that way.

ASweetLov
06-07-2009, 04:02 PM
what a beautiful movie this was! I just returned from watching it with my sister(one of her bday gifts to me, eventhough its 1 day early lol). Both her and I cried in different scenes of the movie

Mickey'sGirl
06-07-2009, 07:29 PM
We saw it last night (unfortunately, not in 3D). It was a really really lovely film...and yes, I embarassed my family by crying. It was good crying though. We all really enjoyed it (and Partly Cloudy!):thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Number 1 movie again this week... it is time I go see this movie...

Sportster
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
My wife and I saw the 3D version with MIL and nephews. We all loved the Partly Cloudy short. Such a clever interpretation of the storks with the babies!!

We all loved the movie as well!! We, being dog people, loved Doug and his doggie "buddies". Of course they know how to get your heartstrings going too. I was getting teary eyed through the whole beginning of the movie.

Great colors, soundtrack and story.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DizneyRox
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Number 1 movie again this week... it is time I go see this movie...
Monday numbers are in and it's actually #2. Not a bad take though for the second week, seems that the winning streak is alive for PIxar.

joanna71985
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I saw UP on Sat. It was soooo good! I can't wait to see it again.

musiclovr89
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
omg. omg. omg I love UP!! I saw it with my mom on Friday night <3 so good :)

MrPeetrie
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
We saw this movie over the weekend and it was one of the most endearing movies I've seen in quite a while. I was completely moved to tears in the first 15 minutes and then laughed repeatedly throughout. I bought the CD (iTunes version) when I got home.

I have to say I wasn't expecting much. The Upisodes didn't interest me a whole lot. And the hype wasn't that great. Truthfully, we saw it because we wanted something to do to waste some time. Boy, am I glad we did. Once again, Disney/Pixer has struck gold.

Composer Michael Giocchino's score is compelling. (He also did Ratatouille.) This is a don't-miss movie!

:number1:

Melanie
06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
We saw UP this past weekend, and are looking forward to seeing it in 3-D when we get back stateside. I laughed, I cried, I laughed, I cried. Great movie! Pixar has redeemed themselves (at least in my eyes ;) ).

Goofster
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Great movie! :number1: I took my 6DD and my 4DS to see it in 3D on Sunday! We all loved it! :thumbsup:

Goofster
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
As for kids 'getting' the opening scenes-my 7 year old son is still devastated and was pretty sad for the whole movie.

My 4 year old son understood the opening scenes too and had an adorable way of describing it to my wife when we got back...but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet!

Jared
06-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Another winner by Pixar. Not like anyone should be surprised at this point. The studio reinvents itself every year and annually forces me to rethink which of its 10 films is truly my favorite.

The montage at the beginning of "Up" rivals any segment of anything Pixar has ever done. When it ended, I knew there was no way it would be topped. To me, it was better than the famous Sarah McLaughlin montage from "Toy Story 2." I liked how this one was beautiful, sincere and gut-wrenching without overtly pulling on my heartstrings. In "Toy Story 2," I felt like John Lasseter was toying with me a little, trying too hard to make me cry. This one was perfect, somehow encapsulating a lifetime of love into a few minutes.

Carl, Ellie and Russell were quite engrossing -- another example of Pixar developing full-fledged characters, not animated caricatures. They were real people, and we felt their pain and joy throughout the movie.

The talking dogs threw me a little, I am surprised to admit. It's an animated film, and a Disney one no less. Why should anthropomorphic animals bother me? Pixar movies have always operated within the realm that they create. For example, in "Finding Nemo," the fish talk because this is an ocean with talking fish. WALL-E and EVE communicate with beeps and sounds. That's just the way it is. I accept it because it is established at the beginning. Somehow, I felt the general word of "Up" was meant to resemble reality. There was no indication animals could talk, let alone fly planes. It struck me as weird.

I saw it in 3D and wish I hadn't. I may go back to see it again in traditional 2D. I thought the 3D muted the otherwise beautiful color palette. When I took off my glasses, I felt like I was watching the movie the way it was supposed to be seen. The balloons and landscapes of Venezuela were so much more vibrant. With the glasses, I felt like I was watching in a haze, or with everything put through a 10 percent tint. I still think 3D is mostly a gimmick. The only movie I have ever seen that I found the effect to be somewhat effective was Henry Selick's "Coraline," which came out this year. And that may because it was created in stop-motion, not computer animation. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I have not embraced this 3D revolution and believe "Up" would have been an even better experience in 2D.

Also, I was actually slightly disappointed by "Partly Cloudy." It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was quite beautiful and funny. I personally liked most of the other shorts better, that's all, including last year's "Presto" and 2007's "Lifted." This one was my least favorite in a while. Not sure why. Just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, as of today, here is my newly reordered list of Pixar films, adjusted for "Up:"

1. Finding Nemo
2. Ratatouille
3. WALL-E
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 2
6. Up
7. Monsters, Inc.
8. The Incredibles
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars

You know, in case anyone cared.

Ian
06-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Just saw it today and all I have to say is WOW!! Quite an awesome film the boys at Pixar brought us, huh??

I LOVED IT!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'll say one thing, though ... I think this movie was marketed horribly. I actually had little desire to see it, because I couldn't really figure out the storyline or who I'd be rooting for! They made Carl out to be some old grump (which he was, but with a reason) and the kid to be really annoying (which he was, but loveable at the same time). Honestly speaking, I think Disney's marketing department has been doing a very shabby job lately, because they really haven't made me need to go out and see one of their films in a long time. Glad I broke the mold on this one.

Show of hands ... how many people cried? How many times??

Oooh! Oooh!! I did!! At least three times ...

My updated list:

1. Cars
2. Up
3. Toy Story 2
4. Monsters, Inc.
5. Toy Story
6. Finding Nemo
7. The Incredibles
8. Ratatouille
9. WALL-E

Can't rank A Bug's Life because I still haven't seen it. :blush:

Ian
06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I noticed a dedication to the real Carl and Ellie Fredericksen placed at the end of the credits. Did anyone else see this and if so who where these people and how did they inspire this story?I saw it, too (another geek who stayed until the screen went dark).

It went by to see exactly, but from what I could tell it appeared to be an homage to the parents of some of the Pixar folks. I saw some familiar last names in there.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
We saw it last week and thought it was great. I loved the non-gimmicky use of 3D, it reminded me of the old View-Master days with everything so sharp and crisp. We too, felt Pixar rebounded nicely with this one.

Will the DVD feature the 3D version?

PirateLover
06-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Ian, I agree that the marketing left you with no clue as to what it was really about but at the same time it's hard to market without giving away some major storylines. I'm kinda glad I went into it not knowing much.

tinkwest
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
....I'll say one thing, though ... I think this movie was marketed horribly.....

I never saw much advertising for this movie in our area either. And what was shown did not make me want to go purchase a ticket. My son did a better job of selling it to me after attending a presentation at Comic Con last July.

Ed
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
But I laughed outloud more than I teared up...such a wonderful movie! :cloud9:

Saw Night at the Museum 2 with my DS 8 last week and did neither.

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: In my book, "Museum" was an absolute dud.

I watched UP and like a true geek I stayed until the very end of the credits. I noticed a dedication to the real Carl and Ellie Fredericksen placed at the end of the credits. Did anyone else see this and if so who where these people and how did they inspire this story?

I've been Googling the heck out of this and haven't found anything. Where's Mufasa ?? I'm confident he could find out for us. :thumbsup:

Aggie97
06-16-2009, 12:27 AM
We saw "Up" last night and absolutely loved it. Wow. What a wonderful movie!!!

Show of hands ... how many people cried? How many times??

Oooh! Oooh!! I did!! At least three times ...

Yeah, I also cried at three different points. And I never cry at movies. :thumbsup:

poeticeclipse
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
For years I thought I would never find anything that topped "Monsters, Inc." Every other Pixar film was just good... never great. I tend to love the classics over Disney/Pixar.

Well, i'm happy to say that I think I now have a favorite Disney/Pixar film. UP! I have seen the movie 4 times now. Haha! Yeah, I know it's a bit extreme but that is how much I LOVE the movie!

I think it's perfect for everyone in so many ways. The story is simple even if it is out there. It's amazing that a film with talking dogs, a flying house, and an adventure hero that never ages can be so believeable. I can't recommend this movie enough!

VolMickey
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Gotta say that I was skeptical about it. Didn't seem like much of a story line, as someone indicated above the trailer stunk. Also, Ed Asner ... really?!?

It turned out to be a great, funny and heart-warming film. The graphics were awesome and it was easy to warm up to "Carl" in the beginning of the movie, despite preconceptions about him from the trailer.

Our family recommends it! :trio:

Went last Friday and saw it again, this time in 3D. Loved it, again. Worth the bucks! :thumbsup:

DisneyCouture
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I loved this movie! It made me laugh and cry. I have seen it multiple times and I can't get enough of it. I am a Disney classics girl but this Pixar film had a great story and the characters were so lovable and real. I hope everyone goes out to see this movie. So worth it.

I even went out to the Disney store last week and got an UP shirt. So cute. :)

Mufasa
06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I've been Googling the heck out of this and haven't found anything. Where's Mufasa ?? I'm confident he could find out for us. :thumbsup:

Next time I get a chance I'll ask around at Pixar.

My understanding is that Carl Fredericksen isn't based on any individual in particular (the last name I believe was taken from relatives of Pete Docter).

Ellie takes the name from Pete Docter's daughter (Elie) who also voiced the character and provided some wonderful drawings and the handwriting in the adventure book that appears in the film (which she did when she was about 9 and a half)

A lot of the characters- like Kevin the bird were inspired by the Muppets. One of the very early concepts I know of from Pete and Bob Peterson revolved around two brothers who lived in this floating city and they thought about the issue of isolation which turned to an escapist fantasy which led to this drawing in about April of 2004 of this really cranky old man selling the happiest balloons you could imagine.

There's also a student film that Pete Docter did at CalArts called "Next Door" (winner of a student academy award) which features a little girl represented as soft, colorful circle shapes that is the overly-perky neighbor to a grumpy old man, represented by very square edges with personalities that couldn't be any more different except for a shared connection between the two (sounds a lot like Up doesn't it?)

And here's a tidbit about the character Dug I thought was interesting:

"One of the inspirations for Dug was Chris Farley. We were looking at the Saturday Night Live routine with Patrick Swayze where they are auditioning for Chippendales. Dug thinks he's an Alpha Dog and thinks he belongs with the rest of the pack, just like Chris Farley thought he could be a Chippendales dancer next to Patrick Swayze. We wanted to think of Chris Farley as a dog"

-- Albert Lozano, character designer

Ian
06-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I finally found what I was looking for ...

Here's the summary:

Director Pete Docter named Disney storyman and writer Joe Grant in the film’s dedication to the “real life Carl and Ellie Fredricksens who inspired us to create our own Adventure Books.” Grant was part of the 1937 team that created “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and wrote “Dumbo” and “Fantasia.” The mentor, friend and source of inspiration to Docter and countless others continued to work at the Walt Disney Animation Studios up until his death in 2005, one week shy of his 97th birthday.

LauraleeH
06-20-2009, 05:03 PM
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – Colby Curtin got her final wish.

The 10-year-old girl desperately wanted to see the new Disney-Pixar movie, "Up." But the cancer-stricken girl was too sick to go to a theater.

Thanks to a family friend who got in touch with the movie studio Pixar, an employee of the Emeryville-based company arrived at Colby's home with a DVD copy of the movie, The Orange County Register reported Friday. The girl died later that night.

Colby's mother, Lisa, said she had asked her daughter if she could hang on until the movie arrived.

"I'm ready (to die), but I'm going to wait for the movie," she said her daughter replied.

"Up" is the animated tale of a grumpy old man who, after his wife's death, tries to fulfill their joint dream of visiting South America by tying thousands of balloons to his house and floating away.

"When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie," Colby's mother told the Register. "I just know that word 'Up' and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven."

Colby, who was diagnosed with vascular cancer in 2005, saw previews for the film in April.

"It was from then on, she said, 'I have to see that movie. It is so cool,'" family friend Carole Lynch said.

But the girl's health began to deteriorate. On June 4, Curtin asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair so that her daughter could go to a movie theater but the chair was not delivered over the weekend, Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby was too sick to go anywhere.

Another family friend, Terrell Orum, called both Pixar and Disney, which owns the animation studio. The message was received by Pixar officials, who agreed to send someone to Colby's house the next day with a copy of "Up" for a private screening, Orum said.

The employee arrived with the DVD, stuffed animals of characters and other movie memorabilia.

Colby was unable to open her eyes to see the movie so her mother described the scenes. When her mother asked if she enjoyed it, the girl nodded, Curtin said.

The Pixar employee left after the movie, taking the DVD, which has not been released. Lynch, who was with the family during the screening, said the employee's "eyes were just welled up."

A call to Pixar seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday.

Colby, with her parents nearby, died later that night.

Her mother said one of the memorabilia left by the Pixar employee was an "adventure book" based on a scrapbook that, in the movie, is kept by the wife of the main character.

"I'll have to fill those adventures in for her," Lisa Curtin said of her daughter.

AdventurerKim
06-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I loved "UP"! It was fanastic! And we got pictures with the characters at Animation in DHS last week! :mickey:

Ian
06-21-2009, 08:03 PM
I hate the fact that I live in a world where 10 year old little girls still have to die from cancer.

That story really got to me .... :crying:

Momof2boys
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
We FINALLY got around to seeing it this weekend - I laughed. I cried. It was great.

The part with the book saying thank you now go make your own adventures . . . how touching !

LOVED IT !

nicster
07-23-2009, 09:37 AM
We saw UP with some friends last night. DH & I usually wait for the animated shows to come out on blue ray and Netflix them. The kids are grown & gone & it just doesn't seem worth the $$ to go to many of these types of films. That said, we went to enjoy the company of some friends that we just hadn't gotten together with for a while & were very impressed with the 3D, the storyline... the whole thing! If you are thinking this is 'kid-stuff' think again. Don't get me wrong, the kids will love it too, but so will you!:thumbsup:

It'sWDW4me
07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
When the movie first came out, DS13 wanted to go see it. And then he remembered he's too "cool" for "kiddie" movies. Dragged him to it the other week. He loved it. I keep pointing out that a lot of "kiddie" movies are really for the whole family - the 4 yr old will love the characters and the obvious slap-stick; the 8 yr old will get a few of the jokes that fly over the 4yr old's head; the 13 yr old will get even more of the advanced/hidden jokes; etc, etc. We just won't tell his friends that he saw a "kiddie" movie! :secret:

alphamommy
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
We finally saw this on Saturday. While I agree that it was good, and the animation was fabulous, I was very sad for much of the movie.

The story of Carl and Ellie reminded me too much of my parents, who always had big plans of things that they wanted to do, but were never able to. The montage of their life together was very nice, but I cried through much of it. I was also really wishing that Russell's dad would have been at the badge ceremony.

DD9 love it, but DH sort of felt the same as me. He understood why it was a hard one for me to watch. I'm not sure how I'll deal with buying the DVD. I may have to let DD watch it only when I'm too busy to watch with her.

i'm grumpy
11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
:confused: I'm so confused. The blue ray is a 4 disc. Are they all blue rays or is there a standard 1 or 2 disc?

NotaGeek
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
:confused: I'm so confused. The blue ray is a 4 disc. Are they all blue rays or is there a standard 1 or 2 disc?
There are several versions, if you use the Amazon link under ICOT Affiliated (we get a little perk when our members link though our site) and search UP ... there are 3 different copies -- the 4 disk blue ray set comes with a digital copy as well for only $4 more, if you ever plan on having a Blue Ray player that seems like the better deal.

i'm grumpy
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks. I want the 2 disc regular. The blue ray set is less I think. :(

Ruprect
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I just ordered the 4-disc BluRay set for $19.99 from Amazon and got an additional movie for $10 off (we went with Prince Caspian). The set I bought comes with a DVD too. I believe Disney is packing a DVD disc with the BluRay discs in all their releases for the time being. Great for us since we have 1 BluRay player and 3 DVD players.

i'm grumpy
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I found the blue ray pack only has 1 regular disc. Will have to get the regular dvd to get both discs.

i'm grumpy
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
:mad: I was wrong. I got 1 dvd and 1 digital copy which I have no clue what that is. I thought there were 2 regular dvds plus the digital copy.

RedSoxFan
11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I bought UP on blu ray and it also came with a regular dvd, extras and digital copy. We watched the movie yesterday and it was a wonderful movie. Even DS17 enjoyed it!!

Ed
11-14-2009, 04:41 PM
:mad: I was wrong. I got 1 dvd and 1 digital copy which I have no clue what that is. I thought there were 2 regular dvds plus the digital copy.

Got to read the packaging carefully. :nono:

Some packages contain only the plain old DVD and nothing more. Some contain the DVD plus a BluRay copy.

Others contain the regular DVD, plus the BluRay copy, plus a "special features" DVD plus a "digital copy" disc. And in the case of the 4-disc combo pack I got yesterday at Costco, it may include a "Grape Soda" collector's pin. :thumbsup:

The digital copy is intended for copying to one of your computers so you can watch the movie on the computer without searching for the DVD. There is a validation code included inside the package that you must use to install the copy on your computer. Here's the catch - - You can ONLY install it one time, then the code is invalid. You must also be connected to the internet when installing it. Forget about copying it onto other computers later or making a "bootleg" DVD. So, ideally, you should install it on a laptop so that you can watch it while traveling, and in many cases a laptop can be connected to a large-screen TV and the movie viewed there.

2Epcot
11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty good at these things, but all these versions even get me confused. I don't have a blu-ray player yet, but I've decided all my future movie purchases will be blu-ray. I just got Snow White on blu-ray, and UP will be next. I was holding off on getting a player, but since my 10 year old DVD player is getting more temperamental, I will probably buy a blu-ray player on Black Friday.

Ed
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Remember that BluRay discs can be played on Playstation 3 consoles. If you are in the market for a new game system AND a BluRay player, it's something to consider. One less black box and a lot less wiring 'spaghetti' to deal with. :thumbsup:

i'm grumpy
11-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Very confusing. I would have bought the Blue-Ray pack since it was cheaper even though I have no plans for a player. Oh well I got the Adventure book.