PDA

View Full Version : Can't Miss and Pass By's?

ojeilatan
11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
We took our first trip to the World in June 2007. We are going again in June 2009. We got to sample some good food on our trip, but as it was our first go around, we were a bit frazzled and not sure about what to do. Now that we understand the neccessity of ADRs (:blush:), we are planning our dining well in advance this time!

So, now I ask for advice from those more experienced in DW eating than me! What is your favorite eating location, any where in the world? (park and resorts included!) Somewhere so good you go back each trip and can not miss?

And what should we pass on by? Somewhere we won't be missing too much?

To give you a little bit more info:
We are a group of four - Myself (20) My sister (18) My mom, and my aunt. Both the 'of age' ladies enjoy a good margarita or cocktail. We are all very open to trying new things and new experiences when it comes to food. We will be staying at AKL, and have no problem traveling to other resorts for lunches and dinners.

Thanks so much for all your help! :mickey:

KathyMJ
11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Since it's an all girl's trip, you should consider Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian. It's one of my daughter's and my favorite things to do when we go. We usually do it on a day that we have a late dinner reservation. It's a nice way to hold you over. The scones are wonderful!!

ADR's are important!

henry.james.s
11-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Well of the Signature locations if this tells you something...I'm going for 10 nights.
I'm going to the California Grill & Flying Fish 3 nights each.
You CANNOT go wrong with the either. :number1:

beksy
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
The first one that came to mind for me was Kona Cafe at the Poly. It was wonderful and is on our must-do list. We haven't tried O'hana but I hear great things about it and we're trying it next trip (also at the Poly). If you like characters, Garden Grill in Epcot was our favorite character meal and another must-do. Great food and interaction (and we were 26 and 20 at the time!) and breakfast at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary was great. I also think dining in the castle should be a must-do for everyone at least once--such a great and unique experience, especially for "girls" since we felt like princesses! We don't really go much for fancy eating so I haven't tried any of the signature restaurants but really want to try Cali Grill but someone will be along shortly who has. Jym's the go-to guy for something like this so he'll probably respond with great suggestions!

SurferStitch
11-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Our Must-Do's:

1. Narcoossee's - Without a doubt, our favorite restaurant (excluding V&A).
1. (tied) Victoria and Albert's (we may not go every trip, but we must go at least every other trip)
2. 'Ohana (breakfast and dinner). Okay, the breakfast isn't the world's best breakfast, but Lilo and Stitch are there! Dinner is always excellent.
3. Teppan Edo
4. Cali Grill
5. Donald's Safari Breakfast
6. Grand Flo Cafe breakfast
7. Le Cellier

Pass-By's:

1. The Wave - One of the worst tasting (and tiny) meals we've ever had.

2. Le Chefs de France - Again, tied with the Wave for worst meal ever. Cheap, spongy, squishy filet....bland, practically raw scallops....soggy, partially frozen cream puffs....watery creme brulee.....won't be going back to this one.

3. Citricos (both times had horrible, rude, downright awful service).....Little sidenote....a person I work with just came back from a week in WDW last week. He said his worst meal of the week was Citricos, and he had such high hopes based on what he'd heard about it.

mouseketeer mom
11-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Not miss- Ohana's for dinner, Kona's for Breakfast, Casey's for Counter Service..I said Casey's because for us, that is a classic Disney must do. Right on Main Street, the piano player, yummy hot dogs, a perfect place for a quick lunch and a rest.
Pass By- The Wave, Pizza Planet.

SBETigg
11-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Can't Miss: California Grill, 'Ohana, Boma.

I also love Rose & Crown, Grand Floridian Cafe, Narcoossee's, Raglan Road, but I wouldn't say they are "can't miss."

Pass by: Kona Cafe. Hollywood and Vine. Coral Reef. Boatwright's. Rainforest Cafe.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Pass by ABC Commissary:sick:

Ropachs
11-18-2008, 09:31 AM
We really enjoyed both the food and atmosphere at Ohana in the Polynesian.

Our favorite of our most recent trip was dinner at the Garden Grill, but unfortunately I believe the characters will soon not be there anymore.

We also enjoyed Le Cellier very much, if you go, please, please, get the maple creme brulee.

Since you won't be with any little ones, I would take the opportunity to do some of the more upscale restaurants...places people like me won't be going to for another 10 years:(

Faver
11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Can't Miss:

O'Hana
Ghiradelli (DTD) Sundaes
Bongo's (DTD) Cuban Food
Le Cellier
Brown Derby

Pass Bys:
Boma
Sci-Fi Theater

Enjoy:mickey:

prttynpnk
11-18-2008, 01:47 PM
We love:
Boma
the Wave
Tutto Italia
Marrakesh

Pass By-
Any Disney pizza products!

LandFan
11-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Can't miss:
Le Cellier
Kona Cafe (fabulous REAL pina coladas - not mix!)
Jiko

Pass by:
Boatwright's
For us: anywhere in DHS!
Rainforest Cafe

ElenitaB
11-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Shouldn't miss: Cali Grill, Boma, Garden Grill (one of the better character meals on property — fun without being frantic, but characters will only be at dinner soon), Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe, Afternoon Tea in the GF's Grand View Lounge

Not a fan of: Le Cellier, Chef Mickey

Pass by: Kona Cafe, Marrakesh, ABC Commissary, Lotus Blossom Cafe, Spoodles take-out window, Big River Grille

dtootsie42
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
We never miss the following:

1. Narcoossee's
2. Teppan Edo
3. Kona Cafe
4. Ohana's
5. Le Cellier
6. Crystal Palace
7. Casey's and Pecos Bill (counter service)
8. The little stand outside of Mexico....incredible margaritas

By pass
We are in the minority but we don't do Cali Grill we've never had terrific food and the service has been on the down side.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

jonah'smom
11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Our personal can't miss restaurants are:

O'hana
Chef Mickey's - DS8's favorite TS
Pizza Planet - DS8's favorite CS

RockinRollerMom
11-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Our Do not miss:
Cape May clambake buffet at the Beach Club
1900 Park Fare Mary Poppins breakfast at the GF.

We also have really enjoyed Kona Cafe and the Coral Reef.

Pass By:
San Angel Inn (Mexico TS)
Mama Melrose's in DHS

ojeilatan
11-19-2008, 12:13 AM
8. The little stand outside of Mexico....incredible margaritas

My mom for sure wants to stop at this one! She remembers it from last year and loved it.

Thank you so much for the input, everyone! There is a ton of variety here, and great ideas. :thumbsup:
I think we will for sure be trying out Boma for dinner, and the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream one afternoon (all girls trip - of course we're having ice cream for lunch!:D). I'm also really liking the idea of Tea at GF. It sounds perfect for a ladies' trip.

Belle_0717
11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Boma is excellent. We were unsure how the entire family was going to react last trip but they all loved it - including DNephew 2. His favorite is the FuFu - mashed white and sweet potatoes.

We also enjoyed O'hana breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. Chef Mickey and Crystal Palace breakfasts were high on the list too. Coral Reef was good but I was disappointed with the "lack" of fish selections - 3 fish vs 3 land options - IMO.

We enjoyed walk up at Morocco - quick lunch and also Tokyo Dining for FABULOUS SUSHI!

Pass By - Hollywood & Vine (breakfast with characters is great with an early ADR - b4 9 am) and Tusker House - save yourselves for Boma. I can't think of anywhere else. It is Disney and they do few things wrong!

DDuck66
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
We always love the Prime Time at DHS. We always have our favorite waitress, "Sister Jamie" wait on us. We love the food and the atmosphere. Always remember to ask the hostess to seat you with someone who will play.

NJGIRL
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Our Favorites:

Liberty Tree Tavern
SciFi
Teppan Edo
San Angels

Pass By:

Mama Melrose
Tony's
LeCellier

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
We never miss the following:

1. Le Cellier
2. Ohana's
3. Kona Cafe
4. Teppan Edo
5. Coral Reef
6. Crystal Palace (kids love Pooh)
7. Harbour House at MK (sweet tea large)
8. Magaritas at Mexico stand
9. Frozen wine slushies at the tea stand in China
10. DTD Wolfgang puck express
11. Finish every trip with Chef Mickey's for breakfast

Pass:
Rainforest and Planet Holywood because it just doesn't feel "Disney" to us but they are ok in other cities.

PlutoPlanet
11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
After 8 trips to the world our favorite restaurants are:

1. Boma - African inspired buffet. Can't find anything like it elsewhere
2. Chefs de France - like the food, wine and French atmosphere
3. Le Cellier - steaks
4. Whispering Canyon Cafe - barbecue with a bit of a show for kids. Dinner is better than lunch.

Snack - Get the Dole Whip in MK or at the Poly.

Natazu
11-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Jym’s Top-7 Restaurants at Disney World:
7. Jiko
6. Il Mulino
5. Narcoossee’s
4. Citricos
3. Flying Fish Café
2. California Grill
1. Victoria and Albert's

I hate to say "pass on these" to someone because everybody has different tastes, wants, and needs. But, here are the places we tend to skip: Sci-Fi, Chefs de France, Yachtsman, H&V, Raglan Road, most Italian, & Fulton's.

Hammer
11-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Here are restaurants I like to go most trips to WDW. We do take a year off, even from favorites, just to spice up the routine.

Narcoossee's
California Grill
Chefs de France
Le Cellier

Only restaurant which I would say is a "pass by" and we probably won't try again is Cape May Cafe for dinner. I had gritty clams both times I ate there and that is a deal breaker for me, especially since the clams are supposed to be one of the highlights of this buffet.

Diz-Knee
11-25-2008, 04:19 PM
It's already been mentioned, but the California Grill is a delicious place to eat - especially for grown ups!

KatMark
11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
We never miss LeCellier in Canada at Epcot (either lunch or dinner). It is a must-do every trip. You can bypass, in our opinion, Whispering Canyon Cafe--way overrated as far as the food. Can't say if the antics are overrated as there were none when we were there--so I guess they were overrated, but I've read that sometimes they are very loud and rowdy.