PDA

View Full Version : Going Thanksgiving week

just tigger
11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi, just curious what the crowds are like during the Turkey Day Holiday. We've been everytime of year except Thanksgiving, so any advice for the parks and crowds will be helpful. Our meal on the holiday is going to be in the Studios, we figure best to avoid the Magic Kingdom that day. Were going on the 25th and returning on the 1st.

BigRedDad
11-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Crowds are going to be extremely busy. Maybe not as much as Xmas, but not much less. I have read many threads that all ADRs are booked T-day week.

beckylovestink
11-17-2008, 05:38 PM
we did thanksgiving last year...very crowded. We did the week before up to turkey day. I heard the week after was better. Just get out early for all of the big tickets and enjoy the decorations

LandFan
11-18-2008, 11:10 AM
We like to get there on Thanksgiving day and stay until the end of the following week. The crowds are apparent on Turkey day, Friday and Saturday but we noticed a huge dropoff starting Sunday. We could practically walk on everything Monday - Friday of the following week.

We are going again on Turkey day! 9 days and counting!!!

AdventurerKim
11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
We go every Thanksgiving, and the crows increase the closer it gets to Turkey Day. If you work the fast passes to your advantage, you can avoid the crowds. We're having our Turkey Day dinner at Cape May. Nothing says Thanksgiving like clams, turkey, and oreo mousse for dessert! :cloud9:

Jasper
11-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Our usual trip in the past was to arrive the Wednesday one week in advance of T day and leave on Wednesday the day before T day. However, there have been a couple of times we were there through T day and the weekend after.

All I can say is good luck!! I guess we have always been spoiled because the Wednesday through Sunday before T day are always great! Then, starting the Monday before T day things start to get crazy and grows worse through the week and don't improve until the Sunday after T day.

You are absolutely correct in avoiding the Magic Kingdom on T day because it is an absolute zoo. I remember one year we were leaving early morning on the day after T day so we went to Epcot on T day to avoid the MK crowds. Well, late on T day one of us got the bright idea that we should hop over to the MK late in the day and do the Carousel of Progress one more time before we left. (Yes, I have to admit that this was my bright idea!)

Anyway, we left Epcot a full two hours before the MK closed and had a very quick trip via the monorail over to the MK. However, it took us almost an hour to get from the front of the MK back to the CoP because the crowds were so thick! Fortunately we did make CoP before it closed for the day and got one last ride in.

In addition to the MK you should also remember that since it gets dark early this time of year that the Animal Kingdom will not be open very late. Combine the short hours with very congested walk ways and the AK becomes another one to avoid on T day.

I assume by your post that you will not be able to do any parks on the 25th and 1st. So, I would suggest doing the MK on the 26th and Animal Kingdom on the 30th and then hopping back to the MK on the 30th to take in anything else you missed on the first day.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Dh and I leave for our magical Disney trip in 6 days @ the POP. We'll be having our Thanksgiving at 50's prime time cafe. :turkey: It should be alot of FUN!!
Lots to do yet, clean the house, have my holiday work party, get my hair,nails and toes done and PACK!!! I'm glad I decorated for XMAS last weekend. It looks beautiful. Waiting to do my Disney tree til we get back. We're sure to get a few ornaments down there. Counting the days and minutes til we arrive in sunny Florida. Temps should be in the 70's. Here in PA it's in the low 20's mid 30's
:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5:thumbsup::thumbsup:

valerie923
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
We leave on Sunday for The World and we are so excited! :joy: Right now we're busy cleaning house as well, buying last minute items, and making sure EVERYTHING is washed! We too will be having Thanksgiving dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe. This is our first trip to Disney World and can't wait! 4 days and counting!!

goofy for pluto
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info!
:pilgram2: :pilgram: :mickey:

LandFan
11-19-2008, 07:55 AM
We leave in 8 days (early on Thanksgiving day) and we are having dinner at Le Cellier that night. I figured their food is usually so good, Thanksgiving dinner is probably going to be great! Can't wait - much to do! We are having an early Thanksgiving on Sunday with my family so I have to make a turkey dinner Sunday in addition to the regular stuff like packing, Xmas decorating and all the other stuff.

It will all be fun though! Anticipation is almost the best part!:D

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-19-2008, 08:28 PM
We leave on Sunday for The World and we are so excited! :joy: Right now we're busy cleaning house as well, buying last minute items, and making sure EVERYTHING is washed! We too will be having Thanksgiving dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe. This is our first trip to Disney World and can't wait! 4 days and counting!!

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll love 50's prime time, it's alot of fun. I'll be the one with the Sulley backpack with DH and family members.:turkey:

LebelJD
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
We arrive on Thanksgiving Day and leave the Saturday of the week after. In the past we've been both the week before T-Day and the week after, but never on the day. As mentioned by others, those weeks are slow until you get within a couple of days of the holiday. We're not planning much in the parks on T-Day, maybe hang out at the Boardwalk and head to Epcot late in the afternoon and stay until the fireworks.

AnnetteFan
11-24-2008, 02:33 AM
While Thanksgiving can be fairly crowded, I feel like if you have to visit WDW on a major holiday, which so many people have to because of school and work schedules, Thanksgiving is the one to choose. Of the biggies, Christmas, Easter, middle of summer, it's the least crowded and the weather is very pleasent.