PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Sanibel?

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Can someone recommend a great family-friendly place in Sanibel Island? :mickey:

Thanks!

Reyam56
11-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Sanibel is full of condos and private homes. I can't remember any hotel/motel/resorts on Sanibel Island. There is not much for kids to do other than the beach. You may want to stay in Ft. Myers Beach. There are hundreds of hotels there.

Tinksalot
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
The last time I stayed on Sanibel we rented a cottage right on the beach. It was great! I don't remember the name however. One thing you might want to check out while you are down there, is Ding Darling Wildlife refuge. www.dingdarlingsociety.org

Maleficent_vf
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I'll echo what others have said - I think of condos and such, but not hotels on Sanibel. If you're looking for a good, entertaining place to eat, I'd recommend the Bubble Room on Captiva.

coloradowendyl
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Sanibel is a favorite with our family. We have stayed at the Pointe Santo de Sanibel condos many times. Very kid friendly, great location, nice beach area and pool!

Our kids loved going to Jerry's Market and talking to the big parrots! Unfortunately our favorite restaurant there closed, Gilligans! However, there are a ton of great restaurants on the island.

Tip...buy groceries, etc in Fort Myers before heading onto the island...much less expensive!

Wendy

DisneyDog
11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Sanibel is very peaceful, quiet and small. You can literally drive up the road and see both sides of the island -- it's that narrow. We went for the day once, as we used to live in Naples. We ate at the Bubble Room, which was fun. I don't recall seeing any hotels there.

You may also want to consider Marco Island. Ft. Myers is kind of honky tonk. Marco is a little bit further, but has the quiet atmosphere of Sanibel, and the shells, but closer to more stuff to do if you want to get out a bit.

StillSimbaGirl
12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
You can try Ocean's Reach...one and two bedroom condos. You can check out the actual condos online. It was a really nice location - close to everything but not too close. Just google Ocean's Reach...PM me if it looks like the y have a referral perk (I am hoping to go back this spring - might as well get a perk).

It's a mellow place - no teen clubs or kid clubs...I think for that you would need the Sundial (which is about the only resort big enough to offer that sort of thing). It really depends on what you want.

I wanted a place right on the ocean. I didn't want to have to walk a long way to get there. All the condos have an ocean view.

The ONLY criticism I have is that the pool is pretty small...but hey, you get to know people that way!

One highly recommended excursion. At the marina up by the restaurant Grandma Dots (yum), they run hour long boat rides in the afternoon...both times dolphins followed our wake...those fish know those boats...apparently the captains know just the speed to go so that the dolphins like to play in the wake.