PDA

View Full Version : How Far Out To Book Flight..

Crystal
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
We are heading to WDW in May. My kids have never flown before, so we were going to *try* to afford it this time.

We are going to be flying Southwest if that makes any difference. Do the prices go up a lot the closer we get?

I'd love to just book now, but we don't have the money to pay for the tickets yet & it makes me a little nervous booking this far out..

BigRedDad
11-16-2008, 04:47 PM
SW allows you to cancel and rebook at a lower fare if one comes along. The are two catches to this:

1. You have to be able to reuse the credits within 12 months of the purchase date or find someone that will buy them from you.

2. You should book one-way tickets so you can get the credit if only one leg goes down in price.

I booked our SW flights the first day they came out. The total per ticket for 2 one-way trips was $325. My final price after lower fares came out is $192. I was able to recoup ~$110 for each of the credits.

henry.james.s
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I booked my RT flight from Detroit for Dec 1st on 1/27 of this year...$205 total. Book early.

thumperbug
11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
a lot of airlines are cutting back on the number of flights they offer. I always book as soon as possible. I might end up paying a little more but at least I know I am on a flight. If you wait too long hoping for prices to come down...you may be out of luck.

Tbelle1976
11-17-2008, 07:02 AM
I would always book early!

If you know that you will be flying without a doubt, its worth it to have the peace of mind that your airfare is already arranged and paid for. We chose to drive this coming Feb, because as I kept checking it would have been no less than $1400+ for 2/ad & 2/ch. I just cannot justify that.

We have driven so many times in the past (we are from Ohio), and pretty much have a driving plan in mind. I don't think it will be to bad...as long as the kids will sleep most the way, lol.

Crystal
11-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I would always book early!

If you know that you will be flying without a doubt, its worth it to have the peace of mind that your airfare is already arranged and paid for. We chose to drive this coming Feb, because as I kept checking it would have been no less than $1400+ for 2/ad & 2/ch. I just cannot justify that.

We have driven so many times in the past (we are from Ohio), and pretty much have a driving plan in mind. I don't think it will be to bad...as long as the kids will sleep most the way, lol.

Yeah, I guess my drive from NC isn't as bad as yours ;)

We may just end up driving... We just don't have the money right now to pay for the tickets. :(