PDA

View Full Version : New Dining Plan STINKS!!!!

rmsongs
11-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Just got back from a 7-night stay and I have to say I was very, very disappointed with the new dining plan (used it last in '06). The last time we used it, the gratuity (an automatic 18% because there were 8 of us this trip) was included, as were appetizers. Now you have to pay the tip separately; either use a credit card or cash or charge it to your room. It seems to me that the servers must be suffering with this, because last time we always left something extra beyond what was included on the Plan; this time we couldn't really justify it. Plus 2 of our servers (one at CP, one at GF) charged our room even though we handed them cash, so they, in essence, gave themselves a double tip. Also, there are some bizarre inconsistencies from one restaurant to the next. For example, at Planet Hollywood, our server told us that, if anyone wanted a milkshake instead of a soft drink, it would be counted as their dessert. The very next night, at Whispering Canyon Cafe, our server told us that "All-You-Can-Drink" milk shakes are included on the Dining Plan. Between these new wrinkles in the plan and the fact that the service was inconsistent from one place to the next, and the food really wasn't all that good at some of the restaurants, the whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth, pun not intended.

spoiledraf
11-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I preferred the tip inclusion as well but times are tough and it's a way to raise prices without raising prices. As to the service and food quality, It's always been inconsistant, in my opinion. And it always seemed to me that all of the restaurants seemed to work off different rules every time we went.

cal5755
11-16-2008, 12:12 AM
We went in 07 and a server at The Crystal Palace told us there would be a few changes concerning the dining plan, namely the tip not being included. He told us this was a Union decision because the servers were being taxed on what is charged to the check with the tip included in the dining plan. Being in the restaurant business, we have a little insight on why the majority of the union would hold the patrons responsible for the tip. Having the tip included on the bill means the servers must claim the full amount of the tip as taxable income, and thus having to pay the income tax on the full tip. Where they leave it to the patron to pay, they only have to claim a certain percentage of the bill,(usually being between 8-10%). Which in there logic , they would becoming out ahead. I'm pretty sure under the old DDP that the bill was tipped out at 18%, so they would be paying income tax on the 18%. Where as the patron leaves 15-20%, if it cash and not a room charge or credit card, they would only claim between 8-10%, paying that much less tax.But we're pretty sure that alot of people either tip with a credit card or room charge, and they have to claim that income anyway. Now I think this logic is inherently flawed , as with a poster above, we always gave the servers extra, always cash. Now I believe they get fewer tips, no extras. We also had a large party with several meals and because the server knew they had a guaranteed 18% , I believe the service was subpar. We had a few exceptions like Le Cellier, The Coral Reef and 50' Prime Time, but elsewhere it was pretty subpar. I also did'nt like having to be hit for 18% on a buffet.The max on a buffet is usually 12%. as for the confusion with the milkshakes, it depends on where you dine. They were included at 50's Prime time and the Sci Fi. At planet Hollywood, they were considered dessert. Also, some of the desserts at Planet Hollywood were going to have to be split. Bizzare. We were at WDW this past September and we were disappointed with the DDP. We are trying to do the math and see if we really came out ahead.

henry.james.s
11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
FWIW..I've used the DDP & Deluxe DDP multiple times over the years and had zero issues as to how it worked with any dining location at the resort.

Maybe I've just been lucky in this regard but even with the changes from year to year the system has worked for me and is a definite value IMO and I'll be using the Deluxe DDP again in 2 weeks & looking forward to it very much.

brian2000boston
11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Maybe it is because I never used the DDP when tip was included, but I do not feel it was a big deal to tip on my own, especially if it’s a free dining plan. The tip amount on the bill is a recommended amount and you have to remember this is still a tip, not required. If you want to tip more or less, do it! In a group and received ****** service? Have the manager come over. There tip value should be based on how well they do, if they are providing poor service it is good to let them know it so when others go, maybe service will be better.

As for them being taxed, this only helps them if it is cash. Disney would have to report the full tip amount on a recorded transaction such as credit card or room charge. If you do pay cash, make it known by writing that on the tip part of the receipt before signing. They can’t argue that you wrote it in… in my eyes if a server writes in a tip, they are committing fraud. No one has the right to add a tip in any situation and this is called “stealing”. Do not let this slide whether intentional or not by the server. This is a huge issue with me and I have a zero tolerance rule. If I caught that I would be all over Disney and I truly believe that those servers should be FIRED!

Hammer
11-16-2008, 09:31 AM
We went in 07 and a server at The Crystal Palace told us there would be a few changes concerning the dining plan, namely the tip not being included. He told us this was a Union decision because the servers were being taxed on what is charged to the check with the tip included in the dining plan. Being in the restaurant business, we have a little insight on why the majority of the union would hold the patrons responsible for the tip. Having the tip included on the bill means the servers must claim the full amount of the tip as taxable income, and thus having to pay the income tax on the full tip. Where they leave it to the patron to pay, they only have to claim a certain percentage of the bill,(usually being between 8-10%). Which in there logic , they would becoming out ahead. I'm pretty sure under the old DDP that the bill was tipped out at 18%, so they would be paying income tax on the 18%. Where as the patron leaves 15-20%, if it cash and not a room charge or credit card, they would only claim between 8-10%, paying that much less tax.But we're pretty sure that alot of people either tip with a credit card or room charge, and they have to claim that income anyway. Now I think this logic is inherently flawed , as with a poster above, we always gave the servers extra, always cash. Now I believe they get fewer tips, no extras. We also had a large party with several meals and because the server knew they had a guaranteed 18% , I believe the service was subpar. We had a few exceptions like Le Cellier, The Coral Reef and 50' Prime Time, but elsewhere it was pretty subpar. I also did'nt like having to be hit for 18% on a buffet.The max on a buffet is usually 12%. as for the confusion with the milkshakes, it depends on where you dine. They were included at 50's Prime time and the Sci Fi. At planet Hollywood, they were considered dessert. Also, some of the desserts at Planet Hollywood were going to have to be split. Bizzare. We were at WDW this past September and we were disappointed with the DDP. We are trying to do the math and see if we really came out ahead.

Another reason the union wanted to change this was that not all the restaurants were giving their workers the 18% collected (minus taxes) to the worker. At the non-WDW owned restaurants on the Dining Plan (such as most of the World Showcase restaurants, Wolfgang Puck, etc.) Disney would give them 18% of the total bill for tip, but only a set amount to compensate for the credit. What these restaurants did was calculate what was 18% of the set amount they received per credit and gave that to the worker, minus taxes. In many cases that worked out to be a $5.00 tip for a table which ordered over $100 worth of food, not even close to 18%, even if you factor in taxes being taken out. We had a thread about this when the changes went into effect. I'll see if I can't find a list of the non-WDW owned restaurants that did this.

Now WDW owned restaurants, such as Ohana, Whispering Canyon Cafe, etc. did not do this. What the union wanted was a level playing field for all servers. Disney management would not make the non-WDW owned restaurants give the full tip amount to those servers, so the union decided to go with tip not included at all.

Tbelle1976
11-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I understand that having the tip included w/the DDP may have been convenient.

Regarding the previous posts about adding additional $ to the 18% the servers were receiving, I have read numerous posts on here before about people who purposly will make 2 seperate ADR's as to avoid an automatic grat. That IMHO is in VERY poor taste (lets make the server work just as hard for less $).

As for those who will tip additional on top of any grat, let me tell you from experience, you are VERY appreciated by your server for that (and it should be voiced as so) and you are the very few who even do it!

Again, I understand that having the tip included was very convenient, but please don't make the mistake in thinking that just because you have to pay a little more $ for something that the person working to serve you should have to suffer for that.

Polynesian Dweller
11-16-2008, 12:21 PM
When comparing the policies on milkshakes one has to keep in mind that not all restaurants are Disney owned. Whispering Canyon is but Planet Hollywood is not. Planet Hollywood will set its own policy on what is or is not included on the DDP. That's the source of the discrepancy.

For us, the change from appetizer/dessert to dessert only and the dropping of the automatic tip meant that the plan is not not a good deal for us. That doesn't mean that the DDP is necessarily bad, just that you have to work out whether it works for you and how you choose to dine.:mickey:

Crystal
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I kind of like the idea of tipping on our own because then we can control how much they get.

I would think that if the tip were built in, some servers might not try as hard..

wdw_bound
11-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I was surprised to find that I didn't mind the new tipping policy at all - I was concerned about the convenience factor, but it was really no problem.

It did allow me more control over the tipping, which was good. My base tip is 20%. If I get really good service, I go higher than that, but feel no compunction in going down either if the service is poor. On two occasions at WDW last month, we did go down (CP and WCC) because we had to ask multiple times to get our drinks refilled, the server would disappear for extended periods of time, etc. However, what we found interesting was that our very best service came in places where the gratuity was included (Luau, CRT, HDDR). In all three cases, we left extra.

laward32
11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I kind of like the idea of tipping on our own because then we can control how much they get.

I would think that if the tip were built in, some servers might not try as hard..
I have to agree with you on this. I don't think every server was worth the 18% when we were there last Oct. There were a few we left extra above the 18%. We haven't been since the new changes went into effect, but I think I will like leaving what I think the server was worth. The other changes, though, I am not so sure I will like.:mickey:

PetefromRI
11-16-2008, 05:05 PM
We really like the DDP.The old plan was much better and with tip included it was an unbelievable deal but we still like it.Of course there's alot of planning if your trying to get the best bang for your buck but we aren't the type to order the most expensive thing on the menu just to get the most for our money.If your doing buffets and character breakfasts I'd say pay OOP.We always seem to at least break out even.Doing a signature meal deffinetly won't get you your best value but we do one every trip anyhow.This next trip we're trying the QS Dining Plan.We always get a really good deal with QS meals on the DDP.
I'm not trying to flame the OP but I see an awful lot of people who don't do the research that most of us do on this site to see that things like the DDP changes from year to year.I'm very rarely surprised when we go to Disney to find something has changed because of my time on the Intercot.I'm still amazed at the people who think that the MK is Disney World and they actually miss the other 3 themeparks.

Bri
11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
our trip in a few weeks will be the first time we will be in disney since the new dining plan took place. as far as value, i still think it's a good value for us (there are only 2 of us) but i do wish you can exchange dessert for appetizer. as far as the tip not being included anymore, i think that might be a good thing. we had numerous instances in 2005 and 2006 that when we told the server we were on the dining plan, we got a look and very poor service. i think it's great that the servers have to work for their tip now, maybe they will treat all the customers with the same amount of attention. as for if the dining plan will really be saving us money, i plan on collecting all of our receipts and doing the math at the end of the trip.

thrillme
11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I prefer it when you got an appetizer and the tip was included.

But I have a question here.

Aren't waiters SUPPOSED to be taxed on their tips. Isn't this "income"?

It sorta sounds like their trying to pocket the money without paying taxes on it.

Tbelle1976
11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
A server should be claiming tips that they receive on any shft, however...I am currently a server at a restaurant where on most night I am tipping out our hosts about $20+, the bartender about $10+, and a food runner another $10+ (this is MANDATORY). I don't know that it works this way in Disney, but if by some crazy chance all my tips happened to be on credit cards I would actually be claiming more than what I actually made.

I know that many people don't know how much a server actually has to give out of their own pocket.

DisneyFr33k
11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree with the original post. The plan really stinks :down:

We visited in October and I saved every receipt, recording what the food would have cost out of pocket. I added up the total vs. the cost of the plan and we pretty much broke even. Plus, we wouldn't normally eat that much in one week, so we could have saved money in the long run if we had shared meals etc.

I e-mailed my complaints to Disney and received a call, acknowledging my opinion. I encourage those of you who are equally dissatisfied as I am to do the same.

Sure, as the post above says, if I got the plan free I wouldn't complain to pay the tip or miss an appetizer. But, our family paid, and paid a lot!

My gripes are these:

Why not allow us an appetizer OR a dessert?
Why should a 10 year old be expected to eat like an adult? Our 11 year old last month barely put a dent in her adult dinner. What a waste of food!!
Why can't there be a buffet type of plan we could piece meal together based on our needs? For example, we could pick how many counter and tables we would like in a week.
Tipping - just put in back in the plan. By asking us to pay for tipping and not decreasing the price for the plan, makes WDW seem greedy.

I'll get off my :soapbox: now.

I really hope they make some positive changes or else they may lose those of us who have faithfully used the dining plan in years past.

Polynesian Dweller
11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I agree with the original post. The plan really stinks :down:

We visited in October and I saved every receipt, recording what the food would have cost out of pocket. I added up the total vs. the cost of the plan and we pretty much broke even. Plus, we wouldn't normally eat that much in one week, so we could have saved money in the long run if we had shared meals etc.

You've laid out a lot that I agree with and really why it doesn't work for us either when we do the calculation. It really is way too much food when all is said and done. Can't ever imagine eating as much normally in a week as the plan encourages one to do? These things are why I encourage people to be really honest with themselves when calculating whether the plan is worth it. If you wouldn't normally order it then its no savings and Disney has actualled encouraged increased spending which is what they are trying to do.

Why not allow us an appetizer OR a dessert?
I do agree that this would be a nice option. However, as stated a number of times on this board appetizers are more costly for a restaurant and create more waste than desserts (you have to throw out every unused appetizer out at the end of the day while most desserts can be refrigerated and kept to the next day). So, Disney would choose to provide desserts and not appetizers as a way to increase profits.

prttynpnk
11-18-2008, 01:41 PM
When we used the new DDP in September, I was nervous about how the tipping would work with charging, but the servers made it al very easy- we were able to put the tip and any oop appetizers on our room card very conveniently. For our money, we still got a good bargain with the plan and we'll use it again. No complaints.

Bri
11-18-2008, 02:52 PM
i hope people don't jump at me for this. some of you have said that with the dining plan you end up eating more than you normally would because it's what the dining plan offers. i would agree with this from my personal experiences. i definatly eat way more and spend way more on food than normal. however, isn't one of the joys of vacationing to eat and do things that you normally wouldn't pay for when not on vacation?

henry.james.s
11-18-2008, 03:31 PM
:soapbox:
With respect to posters who have negative feelings about Disney Dining because it didn't live up to their expectations it doesn't seem quite fair to say it "stinks".

Obviously there isn't anything that's perfect and we all want our experiences @ WDW to be as magical and perfect as possible but it is what we choose to make of it.

:surf: With all the information available here @ Intercot and other sites there's no reason you can't make an informed decision well before your trip IF any of the DDP's will work for you.

:look: Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Buying a DDP is a choice, like anything else and nobody forced anyone to do it.
Good planning & research is the key.
Saying it "stinks" because it wasn't exactly what you thought it would be isn't really right.
If it wasn't any good nobody would buy it. I know I wouldn't.

We all see things with different eyes.

But that's just my opinion.

Off my soapbox :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
With respect to posters who have negative feelings about Disney Dining because it didn't live up to their expectations it doesn't seem quite fair to say it "stinks".

Obviously there isn't anything that's perfect and we all want our experiences @ WDW to be as magical and perfect as possible but it is what we choose to make of it.

:surf: With all the information available here @ Intercot and other sites there's no reason you can't make an informed decision well before your trip IF any of the DDP's will work for you.

:look: Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know our ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Saying it "stinks" because it wasn't exactly what you thought it would be isn't really right.

I pretty much agree...however, I did like the convenience of having the tip included in the old plan but its still a good value for us.

Polynesian Dweller
11-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know our ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

Absolutely. Planning, research is the key. If after doing the calculations based on your actual dining style it works out then yes go for it and it will be a deal. My point is always that do it being honest with yourself, would you really eat that much and should you eat that much. That's the only way to know whether it works or whether you just bought more than you would have without the plan (no savings then).

But yes, you are right, Disney is not hiding anything and we each have to work out what really works for us.

lockedoutlogic
11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
The changes to the dining plan were to limit earnings of the servers.....

it was not at the behest of the food service workers union because of taxed wages.....

There is more than 30 years of history in labor relations at WDW that will show how one-sided any negotiations regarding pay and other benefits are....

To think that servers would ask to have a plan that practically guaranteed every seat to get 3 courses with at least an automatic 18% included is ludicrous.....

just think about it....

AHOTE
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM

:look: Disney isn't hiding any details from us and we're the only ones who know ourselves and our families..how much & what we like to eat. There's no reason for major suprises with all the availabe information on an DDP.

:thumbsup: Bravo, well said!

Marceline
11-19-2008, 02:38 AM
We used the DDP in 06', when tip and appetizer was included. It worked out to be a good deal, we did eat a ton of food, but I loved all the new dining experiences it provided.

After reviewing the changes made, I decided not to go with the DDP for this year's trip. The numbers weren't adding up to a value for us and 9 times out of 10, I would prefer an appetizer to a dessert, just a personal preference for savory over sweet.

However.....I still think the DDP is a great thing and it worked it's intended magic on our family. Having experienced it once, it encouraged me to go ahead and make a daily ADR and try new places, and just brave it OOP.

For me the food is a huge part of the experience of the vacation to WDW and I will never go back to just Goofey burgers and hot dogs again. :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
11-19-2008, 08:50 AM
OK I had to throw my :twocents: in of course lol.
DBF and I did not use the DDP before the changes were made, so we never got to experience the app and tip thing but I will say that we first of all never eat app...very very rarely do we ever eat app....for desert I would say we actually eat desert more often than an app...tip we like that being at our cost for what we feel is deserved...not a forced amount that we have no control of.

Secondly, ok so very rarely do we eat all of the desert but we do get it and do try it....Sometimes if we are too full we will eat a little bit...Disney is "forcing" food down your throat to make you feel like"oh its so much food and I HAVE to it"...DDP in the long run may not save people hundreds of dollars....maybe a few here or there....but whats the difference between saving a buck or two or breaking even? IMHO its the convenience of it not being cash out of our pocket and not having to worry about where we can eat, what we can afford, how our budgets look mid-trip and have the question oh I really want the Steak at 30.00 but I can only eat a dish that costs 15.00....on vacation I dont like to have to "worry" or "think figures". Its a convenience to point of We dont have to think about anything. We make a reservation, we eat what we want and walk out the door stuffed and happy and worry-free.....Its a set price in our budget before we even get there, and save around it, and thats it done, fin-ee. Nothing to think about. As for the tip thing....its not that much out of pocket...and not that big of a deal...and I like having the freedom of tipping what I want and what I feel the waitress/waiter deserves...as for the "attitude" of the DDP...never ever have encountered that before. Some people frankly, just have an attitude problem period. I think going to WDW eveyrone has this wholier-than-though expectation of everyone that works there when frankly everyone is human and there are miserable mean and "attitudy" (if thats a word lol) people that work there in general, it happens...it happens everywhere...WDW might be magical...but its not exempt from some human-nature....I doubt it has anything to do with the DDP basically because they get tip based on performance...not the DDP and how much it cost you as the customer....I think its just a "conincidence" for some...they HAPPENED to be on the DDP...got atitude from a CM....coincidence...but thats IMHO....I am happy and comfortable and glad of our choice when it comes to DDP...especially that me and DBF not being rich....with that it is affordable we break even on what we spent on food the first trip and only at CS typemeals the whole time and now we have the freedom to eat at places that we would just walk by because we wouldnt be able to afford it other wise....IMHO

Im off my :soapbox: sorry lol :blush:

DisneyFr33k
11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

It "stinks" that Disney took the plan, removed one thing, added a charge and didn't reduce the price. We've used the DDP 2 trips before this one and LOVED it. Upon learning of the changes without reducing their price, I had to beg my husband to try it one more time. After the week was over, we cannot justify the cost now for what we get. It truly was a magical plan before. Now that they are scaling back, some of us who remember how it used to be are left with a bad taste in our mouth.

Just my :twocents:

lockedoutlogic
11-21-2008, 03:14 PM
It "stinks" that Disney took the plan, removed one thing, added a charge and didn't reduce the price. We've used the DDP 2 trips before this one and LOVED it. Upon learning of the changes without reducing their price, I had to beg my husband to try it one more time. After the week was over, we cannot justify the cost now for what we get. It truly was a magical plan before. Now that they are scaling back, some of us who remember how it used to be are left with a bad taste in our mouth.

Disney was most likely netting nothing from the old dining plan.....and the servers were making out like banshees and earning 3X the managers.....

There's the nail in the coffin of the old dining plan.....two BIGTIME no-nos at WDW

henry.james.s
11-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Again this is what planning is all about. You knew about the changes in the plan and it was your choice to still go with it. What the plans are and their workings are there for all to see and I for the life of me cannot see complaining about something like this after the fact when all the details are known ahead of time.
It's not like buying a TV and having it blow up 2 weeks down the road..you can't know that's going to happen.

I remember what it used to be and liked the plan much better before the changes too..BUT I must give Disney the benefit of the doubt that they didn't take these changes lightly. Their costs increase like it does for eveyone else. They could have kept eveything the same and raised prices and some would complain about that too.

I also wish the Tiki Room never changed or the song in Carousel of Progress but oh well...

It is what it is and what you make of it.

Polynesian Dweller
11-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Again this is what planning is all about. You knew about the changes in the plan and it was your choice to still go with it. What the plans are and their workings are there for all to see and I for the life of me cannot see complaining about something like this after the fact when all the details are known ahead of time.
It's not like buying a TV and having it blow up 2 weeks down the road..you can't know that's going to happen.

I remember what it used to be and liked the plan much better before the changes too..BUT I must give Disney the benefit of the doubt that they didn't take these changes lightly. Their costs increase like it does for eveyone else. They could have kept eveything the same and raised prices and some would complain about that too.

I also wish the Tiki Room never changed or the song in Carousel of Progress but oh well...

Very well stated. Its all about reading what's offered and planning in a way that you are being honest to yourself. We did that this year, didn't go with the plan, and were quite happy.

Oh, and many say that they don't like carrying money which is a 'benefit' of the plan. Well, we put everything on the room card so no real difference there.

mom2morgan
11-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Why should a 10 year old be expected to eat like an adult? Our 11 year old last month barely put a dent in her adult dinner. What a waste of food!!

That's MY only big complaint. My nine year old eats for $11 a day, but a month later pays as much as my husband? Crazy. I'd prefer 3 levels - include a "junior" price for 10-14 or something.

Tbelle1976
11-21-2008, 10:52 PM
That's MY only big complaint. My nine year old eats for $11 a day, but a month later pays as much as my husband? Crazy. I'd prefer 3 levels - include a "junior" price for 10-14 or something.

This is one thing that I absoutely agree with! There is no way my DD at the age of 10 would eat all that food, realistically on that plan she could have the ability to eat as much as DH :eek:. I guess when that time comes we will not do the DDP as it will be more cost worthy without it.

But as it stands, currently we are excited to do the DxDDP in Feb!

Bethanymouse
11-22-2008, 06:38 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own feelings, however with regard to the original post, I would say I agree. The new DDP does stink IMHO, and that is fair to say. We have used the DDP for the pst 20 years, including when it was still called the Golden Key Club. For people who enjoy signature rest. and good food, this new plan is not all it is cracked up to be. We enjoy the appetizers at every meal, especially for me, who has become very health conscious. I would much rather have a salad than a piece of cheesecake. I understand it is my right to pay for a salad, but I really enjoyed the all inclusiveness factor of the previous plan. Call me selfish, unfair, or simply practical, but I really enjoyed going to disney and not having to worry about "reaching in my pocket" once I arrived. We did usually tip over what was expected on the bill, but there was something to have it all included.

That being said, we continue to use the DDP because we do enjoy great food and great rest. on property. However, I do miss the old plan, and feel that in some ways Disney did what was more economically better for them. Charge us a dollar less and give us much less. But that my friends is why disney is so successful, they still get us to buy into their plan, although they give us less! :twocents:

henry.james.s
11-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own feelings, however with regard to the original post, I would say I agree. The new DDP does stink IMHO, and that is fair to say. We have used the DDP for the pst 20 years, including when it was still called the Golden Key Club. For people who enjoy signature rest. and good food, this new plan is not all it is cracked up to be. We enjoy the appetizers at every meal, especially for me, who has become very health conscious. I would much rather have a salad than a piece of cheesecake. I understand it is my right to pay for a salad, but I really enjoyed the all inclusiveness factor of the previous plan. Call me selfish, unfair, or simply practical, but I really enjoyed going to disney and not having to worry about "reaching in my pocket" once I arrived. We did usually tip over what was expected on the bill, but there was something to have it all included.

That being said, we continue to use the DDP because we do enjoy great food and great rest. on property. However, I do miss the old plan, and feel that in some ways Disney did what was more economically better for them. Charge us a dollar less and give us much less. But that my friends is why disney is so successful, they still get us to buy into their plan, although they give us less! :twocents:

My responce..Just didn't want to type it again..

HoosierDisneyFan
11-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Would it not be better to say that DDP works for some families people and not for others?

I remember these same debates about the prior DDP. People would say that there was too much food (Disney removed the app) and people would say the service was bad because the waiter / watress knew they would get a 18% regardless of service provided (Disney allowed individuals to tip on their own).

If DDP does not work for you family, just don't use it. Our family loves it and hope it continues!!

henry.james.s
11-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Would it not be better to say that DDP works for some families people and not for others?

I remember these same debates about the prior DDP. People would say that there was too much food (Disney removed the app) and people would say the service was bad because the waiter / watress knew they would get a 18% regardless of service provided (Disney allowed individuals to tip on their own).

If DDP does not work for you family, just don't use it. Our family loves it and hope it continues!!

Hear..Hear!! :thumbsup: Well said.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
We still love the dining plan and I researched it before we got it and we certainly do not lose money...bottom line the convenience of being prepaid and not having to compromise on what I want to order is nice....yes its not as good a value as when the appetizer and tip was included but it still works for us and until it doesn't work for us we will keep using it....now, it would be nice if they let you choose between appetizer and dessert and I can see where some people with kids 10 years old having to pay as an adult and they still eat like a kid would be frustrating but still, do your homework and make your choice. No worries your at wDW:thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
11-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Again this is what planning is all about. You knew about the changes in the plan and it was your choice to still go with it.

Planning, that I am good at. I am educated, good with numbers and thoroughly analyzed the changes to the plan prior to accepting. I decided rather than to pass judgement prior to trying the new plan I would wait until afterwards when I could calculate the actual savings. That is only being fair to Disney and the new plan. That way my opinion is valid and based on fact. That is why I feel the plan isn't of value anymore - the negatives now out weigh the positives.

Either way I agree that DDP works for some and not others. And looking at everyone's posts, we all seem to agree it is unrealistic to expect 10 year olds (and some 10, 11 and 12 year old) to eat like an adult during their stay. This I feel Disney needs to re-visit.

I'd love a buffet-style dining plan that we could customize - you could add as many tables/counters you'd like. And each table could be with or w/o appetizers or desserts. But maybe this would become too complicated to keep track of....

Just brain storming, as I don't like to complain w/o a solution.

Belster
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
This past trip was the first time that I used the DDP. I will say that I was very happy with it. I would agree that it would be nice to have tip and such included. I was very happy with all of the menus, and the service. I did see that each restaurant does some different things, but being a newcomer I felt that the servers were VERY informative about what was what. Overall I would give it a :thumbsup:.

Tbelle1976
11-24-2008, 10:59 PM
This past trip was the first time that I used the DDP. I will say that I was very happy with it. I would agree that it would be nice to have tip and such included. I was very happy with all of the menus, and the service. I did see that each restaurant does some different things, but being a newcomer I felt that the servers were VERY informative about what was what. Overall I would give it a :thumbsup:.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful experience with it. We will be there in Feb and have no doubt that we will love our first time with the dining plan!

princessgirls
11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Disney will tweak things until their numbers are down.

The original DDP was a fabulous deal. It may go back to the old way, as the economy shows no sign of getting better within the next six months.

We'll see, this deal that they just rolled out for March-June is saving me more than the free dining did.
Julie:mickey:

TinkerbellT421
11-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Reading things like this brings a quote my mom used to say to me:
"You can make some people happy some of the time, but you cannot make all people happy all of the time"..sorry to get :offtopic: :thedolls:

Stickey
11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Clearly, the current version of the DDP is inferior to the previous version. Due to the increasing utilization of the DDP, Disney chose to increase its price for the DDP. The plan still provides a good value and you will save $ if you eat at a TS restaurant on a daily basis.

My problem with the DDP has been the decrease in menu options. For example, the best steak option at LeCellier(maple bbq filet) is no longer on the menu and the new R&C menu is unappealing.
Also, the free dining promotion in September has led to significantly higher crowd levels. The free nights offer for 2009 is a much better deal, especially if you are staying at a deluxe resort.

A full appetizer, entree, and dessert per person is a lot of food. A soup/salad, entree, and desert would be much more reasonable. A dessert option for qs is not necessary when you have a snack credit available for a much better dessert.

rmsongs
11-27-2008, 11:11 AM
We, too, were disappointed that the menu options seem much more limited on the new Plan, especially the Maple Barbecue Filet Mignon at Le Cellier. I knew beforehand that it wasn't on the menu, but asked anyway when we were there and was told that a new chef took over in March and changed the menu.

I started this thread and was beaten up by a few people and supported by a few. I find it interesting that people have chastised me for my "lack of research"; let me just say that we had used the DP previously and loved it but, unfortunately, I don't have unlimited time to research every aspect of a trip before I leave home. Is that my problem? ABSOLUTELY! But, IMHO, if I'm paying what I paid before -or more- and getting considerably less, that's not a good thing. Also, I find it interesting that almost no one seemed outraged that we, and our friends who were traveling with us, were DOUBLE-CHARGED for tips on 2 separated ocassions. This couldn't happen when tips were included, but it happened twice in 7 days. Of course, Disney management didn't care about that, either.....

Bottom line - there's no such thing as a wrong opinion. Just my :twocents:

Ian
11-27-2008, 11:21 AM
When these changes were announced, I expected to really have an issue with it. But we've used it two or three times now since the changes were implemented and we still like the plan.

The one thing I find annoying, though, is that they deliver one complete bill to you now instead of breaking out the DDP items from the cash items (like alcohol, apps, etc.). It's very difficult to figure out how much you actually owe and the server always pushes to charge it to your room. I don't like that, because I have zero confidence in them not padding the total to boost their tips. I've actually had a couple servers argue with me when I insisted on paying cash.

I can't figure out why they're doing it this way now. In the past, you'd get your receipt to sign for your DDP credits and then a separate receipt for cash items. Doing away with that is the only pain point for me with the new plan.

I don't mind getting control of the tip back and I also don't mind the exclusion of the app. When the app was included, I felt obliged to order it and eat it and, judging by my ever-expanding waistline, I don't really need any more food! ;)

DisneyFr33k
11-27-2008, 07:43 PM
The one thing I find annoying, though, is that they deliver one complete bill to you now instead of breaking out the DDP items from the cash items (like alcohol, apps, etc.). It's very difficult to figure out how much you actually owe and the server always pushes to charge it to your room. I don't like that, because I have zero confidence in them not padding the total to boost their tips. I've actually had a couple servers argue with me when I insisted on paying cash.

Wow. We just returned last month from a trip and we had several servers separate the bill for us - what the DDP was and what we owed. Without being asked at Kona, the server even took my card, applied the DDP and returned the bill with what was left (wine we ordered). Not one server argued with us leaving cash (as that was the only way we paid) or had issue with me asking to separate the bill. If that had happened to me, I would have asked to speak with a manager or complain at customer relations. You shouldn't be pressured to have anything charged. I am so sorry this was an issue for you. :sad:

Goes4FastPass
11-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I am not surprised, offended or otherwise aggravated with the changes to the DDP.

But

What stinks out loud is the Disney Company changing the plan to increase the price and then telling us it's what guests wanted.

Disney has so many Hannah Montana fans it makes the company think they should talk to us like we're 9 YO girls.

DisneyFr33k
11-29-2008, 06:16 PM
What stinks out loud is the Disney Company changing the plan to increase the price and then telling us it's what guests wanted.

Well said!!! :yes:

AHOTE
11-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow. We just returned last month from a trip and we had several servers separate the bill for us - what the DDP was and what we owed. Without being asked at Kona, the server even took my card, applied the DDP and returned the bill with what was left (wine we ordered). Not one server argued with us leaving cash (as that was the only way we paid) or had issue with me asking to separate the bill. If that had happened to me, I would have asked to speak with a manager or complain at customer relations. You shouldn't be pressured to have anything charged. I am so sorry this was an issue for you. :sad:

We had pretty much the same experience except I asked each server to break down our bill as we ordered our meals. No one had any problem with my request. The plan is what it is, no sense :beat:. I find the DDP suits me just fine.