PDA

View Full Version : magical express

mickeytravel
11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
our plane is arriving around 8:30 pm. what do you think the arrival will be for our luggage. I am trying to decide if we should pick it up ourselves.:confused:

faline
11-14-2008, 06:42 PM
It's hard to say. It should arrive by 11:30 but it could be earlier or later.

dmosher
11-14-2008, 07:28 PM
We tend to pack a change of clothes in our carry-ons and just let ME do the rest for us. Have never had an issue with them so... just relax and enjoy the service.
:pipes:
D

jonsmom
11-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Our flight next month arrives at 9:20. I do not plan on putting the DME tags on my luggage. I will wait for it at the carousel & carry it on myself. I don't want anyone knocking on the door at midnight!

Speedy1998
11-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Just a warning from ME experience, if you land during or just before a thunderstorm your bags could be delayed for hours. The baggage handalers are not allowed to load or unload luggage during storms due to the danger of lighting strikes.

If you use ME my recommendation is always bring what you will need for the next 12 hours in carry-on luggage.

CleveRocks
11-15-2008, 04:03 AM
Just a warning from ME experience, if you land during or just before a thunderstorm your bags could be delayed for hours. The baggage handalers are not allowed to load or unload luggage during storms due to the danger of lighting strikes.

If you use ME my recommendation is always bring what you will need for the next 12 hours in carry-on luggage.

To me, this is a HUGE advantage of using DME ... if my bags are stuck on the airplane for several hours, I'd MUCH rather be at Walt Disney World enjoying my vacation rather than waiting around wasting time at the airport waiting for the weather to clear so I can finally get my bags and then get to Walt Disney World. It would be terrible to waste hours at the airport like that.

CleveRocks
11-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Our flight next month arrives at 9:20. I do not plan on putting the DME tags on my luggage. I will wait for it at the carousel & carry it on myself. I don't want anyone knocking on the door at midnight!

Just as an FYI ...

When you arrive at your resort, you can ask to have your bags held 'til morning.

No matter where I fly, I ALWAYS pack for the first 24 hours in our carry-ons, just in case the AIRLINE delays my luggage.

The last time we used DME, we landed at 10 p.m. For the 2 of us and our 6 year old and 4 year old, we had PJs, allowable toiletries, bedtime buddies for the kids, and a complete change of clothes for the morning ... all in our carry-ons. It's surprising how LITTLE space that takes up. I called for our bags when I woke up at 6:30 a.m., and Bell Services was at our door 5 minutes later.

For me, when I arrive late, especially with kids, my top priority is getting to bed ASAP. If Disney has a system that allows me to get to my bed ASAP by skipping baggage claim, I'm going to very happily take advantage of it. If you detour to baggage claim and wait for your bags, you'll very likely miss the next available bus to your resort, and will have to wait for the next one.

CleveRocks
11-15-2008, 04:14 AM
our plane is arriving around 8:30 pm. what do you think the arrival will be for our luggage. I am trying to decide if we should pick it up ourselves.:confused:

In the DME literature, Disney advises that you should expect delivery of your DME bags in about 3 hours from the time you check-in at your resort, not 3 hours after you land. You'll likely arrive at your resort between 9:30 and 10, so you can expect your luggage roughly around 12:30 or 1:00 a.m. (but as I wrote earlier, you can ask to have it held 'til morning).

If you don't have very small children with you, you are arriving at what is, at least for me, a kind of "in-between" time. It's too late for you to really do anything at WDW when you get there. But it's not SO late that you need to get to bed the very second you arrive (unless you have little ones). It's in your exact time window that I personally MIGHT consider waiting for my luggage ... maybe. I just love the perk of not waiting for my luggage at baggage claim though ... it's convenient and, well, just plain neat!

Suz36
11-15-2008, 12:02 PM
If you do want your bags held until morning, do you tell a CM at the ME desk, or at resort check-in?

CleveRocks
11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
If you do want your bags held until morning, do you tell a CM at the ME desk, or at resort check-in?

When you arrive at your resort, you can ask to have your bags held 'til morning.
The DME folks have no control over what happens to the luggage once it arrives at the resort. From that point, it is completely in the hands of the resort's Bell Services CMs (Luggage Assistance CMs at the Value resorts). WIth this in mind, it now becomes clear that the resort is THE ONLY place to request how or when your bags should be delivered to your room.:mickey:

spoiledraf
11-15-2008, 10:23 PM
ok, we land at 1, figure we get to the resort a little after 2. We're thinking/hoping by the time check in is complete our room will be ready then We're off to the parks til whenever. Do we just request our luggage when we return to our room?

brian2000boston
11-15-2008, 11:14 PM
ok, we land at 1, figure we get to the resort a little after 2. We're thinking/hoping by the time check in is complete our room will be ready then We're off to the parks til whenever. Do we just request our luggage when we return to our room?

They will deliver your luggage whether you are in the room or not, it is part of the magic.

CleveRocks
11-16-2008, 11:42 AM

brian2000boston is absolutely correct.

To me, that IS the "magical" part of Disney's Magical Express ... your bags magically appear inside your room whether you're in there or not. It's designed to let you go out and play, not having the slightest concern about dealing with your bags.

thumperbug
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Bottom line when flying anywhere is to always put in a carry-on what you need for at least 24 hours and items you won't cry over losing should your bags get lost.

We generally fly out first flight in the am and pack a change of clothes for the day as well as swimsuits, crucial toiletries, meds etc. We get to the airport, change when we made a bathroom break and pretty much get on DME, check in, check our carry ons with bell services and off to the parks we go.

90% of toiletires you need for a trip can be purchased at the hotel gift shop so pack in your carry on what you can't live without.

Pack your checked bags like you won't see them again. I know that is horrible but its the best way to pack. While packing think to yourself... "can I get a replacement for this if it is lost?"