PDA

View Full Version : Values: The honest truth about the Bus issue

PirateLover
11-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Well it looks like WDW has reeled us in again. We've decided that this new offer is too good to pass up, and have convinced a few friends to come along with us, most of them for their first trip ever!

Anyway, I have stayed at Pop Century 2 times. There are things I really like about it and some things that I don't. The first time we stayed it was 2004 and it was still fairly new. However last year, some of the "newness" seemed to be wearing off... our room could definitely use some sprucing up. Also, I'd just like to try something new. But we have to stay in the value category because of the budgets of the people we are traveling with.

I am interested in trying the All Star Music or Movies (no interest in Sports, my fiance stayed there before and did not like it). I have read in other threads about the fact that they share a bus, that movies is last to be picked up and dropped off, full buses will pass you by etc. However I am just wondering if because of this buses possibly run more frequently? The last time we stayed at POP, lines were horrendous, and this was the first week of December. Once at Epcot closing we had to wait for the THIRD bus. This time around we will be going in late June. I am just wondering if the bus situation is really that much of an issue.

So if you have stayed at both All Star Music or Movies and POP Century, which would you rather go back to? Thanks.

mrsgaribaldi
11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
We've vowed never to go back to any of the All Stars after nothing but problems. We love Pop. We've stayed there 5-6 times I think. Never took the buses so I can't help, sorry. It's only Pop for us now.

disneymom15
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
First choice POP
Second Choice Movies
I think the bus frustration really only happens while trying to get to the parks. If the bus isn't full it will proceed to the next value resort usually resulting in standing room only. During the busy times, like park closing and early park opening, each value will have its own bus.

Sunshine1010
11-11-2008, 06:49 PM
When I was there in October.....during park closing, they had all the All Star resorts in one line. Sports was the first drop off (our resort). I can't remember if it was all the parks, or just 1 or 2....but it was definitely all the All-Star resorts into one bus line.

magicofdisney
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
In August I had the opportunity to stay at All Star Sports one night and Pop Century the next night. Sports won hands down (but to be fair I prefer the All Stars). The rooms at the All Stars have recently been refurbished. And as you noticed, the newness of Pop has definitely worn off figuratively and literally. Our room at Pop had seen better days and who knows when they'll refurbish there.

PirateLover
11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
In August I had the opportunity to stay at All Star Sports one night and Pop Century the next night. Sports won hands down (but to be fair I prefer the All Stars). The rooms at the All Stars have recently been refurbished. And as you noticed, the newness of Pop has definitely worn off figuratively and literally. Our room at Pop had seen better days and who knows when they'll refurbish there.

Thanks! I'm not too worried about the resort being shabby as I am about the bus situation though. I have a feeling that either way the line will be long. I just don't want to be frustrated by the bus situation. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the biggest deal, but it can get on your nerves. However another poster has noted that at park opening and closing they each get their own bus. I did not realize that. That seems good.

Belster
11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I have not stayed at the All Stars, but will say that I never will while my kids are young and I have strollers and such simply because of the bus system. I love Pop because we do not have to share a bus with anyone! When you have so much gear it is hard to do a standing room only.

LandFan
11-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Pop. I'll never go back to all-stars.

Ian
11-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Can you rent a car?

Hammer
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Can you rent a car?

Yeah, I would see if you all can chip in and rent a car if you want to stay at the values. During my trip last month, I saw nothing but lines at any of the value bus stops, regardless of the time of day.

honeebee86
11-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Well if you feel Pop is losing it newness, you may not want to stay at the other values since they are older than Pop. I will say, I usually stay at Pop but I took my 3 brothers on a night-3day vacation last February and we stayed at Movies. I was worried because I have stayed at Sports and did not like it. I really enjoyed Movies. I liked how it really had a Disney feeling do to the Disney movie theme. I liked how it was smaller than Pop and I really liked the food. The food court is smaller than Pop but I felt the offerings were a tad better and tastier.The hotel was clean and friendly. As for the buses, I not use them when I stayed there. I drove up from Sarasota. Nothing beats having a car in my opinion just because you are not tied down to the bus schedule. When I stayed at Sports, we sometimes shared a bus with the other two but only when it was slow. When it is busy and at park closing, it seemed like they had separate buses for each hotel. Now, it is hard to choose between Pop and Movies for me. I really enjoyed Movies.

PirateLover
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I know the All Stars are older but I think they were more recently refurbished. I think we are leaning towards Movies. Plus, I have now been to POP a few times and I just wanna switch it up, and I think Movies looks kinda cool.

As far as car rentals, with the number of people who are going we'd have to get a van, plus the cost of insurance, plus the cost of gas... also I think I'm still considered "under age" in terms of car rentals so I always have to pay extra if I want to drive...it starts to add up when you are on a budget. I love our friends but a lot of times it is John and I who get stuck eating the "extra" cost on things. In addition, on days when we are not in MK people may be having a few :beer: together so on those days we wouldn't be using a car and it would be a waste of money. My fiance is always designated driver at home but he likes to relax on vacation and not drive.

I know that the bus lines for values generally are always long, but I never experienced anything like what I did last time at POP at closing time. We don't even mind standing on the bus for the most part, it's just waiting in line and having to wait at the end of the night for the 3rd bus that are 15-20 min or more apart that was frustrating. However that was value season and this time around we will be into the dog days of summer almost so the buses will probably be a bit more frequent.

Thanks everyone

PirateLover
11-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I would just like to add that pretty much what I'm saying is... even if the bus situation is AS bad as POP, I will choose Movies. I just don't want it to be WORSE than POP in regards to closing buses.

jonahbear2006
11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I understand the need for a budget but, in all honesty, the attentiveness of transportation in WDW is comparative with the price you pay for your resort. If you stay Deluxe you get fantastic help on buses, the lower resorts have more stops, longer rides, and longer waits for a bus due to the longer rides, so the buses are more full, as well. I won't stay value. If I can't afford deluxe, I will stay at fort wilderness and camp in our tent. Why not try that? It is soooo much fun and you can get a good tent at Walmart or Target. Then you can get 10 people to a tent site and use 2-3 tents. Then you have no expectations on hotels and you are right next to magic kingdom!!!

Gator
11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I have yet to stay at a resort where I didn't have to wait for the second or third bus to get back from a park when it's park closing time. It's just one of those things you have to deal with.

brownie
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
full buses will pass you by etc.

I would expect a full bus would not stop to pick anyone else up.:D

We've had a rental or our own vehicle on our last 3 trips and that seems to have worked out better for us than using the buses.

FenwayGirl
11-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I have stayed at all of the ASR at some point and I have never had a problem with the buses. They seem to send more buses to pick up at park close.

DestinationWDW
11-13-2008, 08:22 PM
In October we stayed at All Star Music - it was only 1 night, but I can tell you that we had thought the bus service was pretty good. Especially when we went over to Saratoga Springs for the rest of our vacation - BEAUTIFUL resort, TERRIBLE bus service!

pink
11-13-2008, 08:24 PM
I've stayed at Music, Movies and Pop and I would have to pick Pop. We went at the end of September and at the beginning of the week the bus lines were short but towards the end they were long. I feel that the buses run just as often for Pop as they do for all three of the All- Stars and it's just not worth it. I thought the Pop still looked new when we went. If I had to pick a second choice then I would pick Movies.:mickey:

wdwnomad
11-13-2008, 10:34 PM
I've come to believe the bus debate for Pop vs. All-Stars is just a matter of ones perception of it and opinions on it. My belief is that the All Star's bus service wins hands down. My experience with the bus sharing at the All Stars is that it only happens during the non peak hours of the parks. During the mornings when the parks open and in the evenings each All Star has it own bus. When you look at the number of rooms at Pop and all of the rooms combined at the All Stars they are about the same. So yes Pop has dedicated bus service but when the buses aren't sharing then there are 1/3 less people trying to get on an All Star bus. When they are sharing the same number are trying to get on the bus as they would at Pop. I never found stopping at the other resorts a big deal because they are like a minute apart. That's my theory behind it all and why I prefer the All Stars.

One of the main reasons why we stayed at Sports this year was to give us an advantage over the other All Stars since they got picked up first. In reality that only came into play a few times since most of the time we had our own bus.

jonahbear2006
11-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Your timing can play a part in this as well.