PDA

View Full Version : Looking for specific Christmas album

Mr. Brass Bonanza
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Back in the late 70s there was a vinyl Christmas album I absolutely loved, and now I can't find it. I know for a fact it had Burl Ives' Holly Jolly Christmas, an instrumental Sleigh Ride with a very high-pitched horse at the end, and Do You Hear What I Hear. The cover of the album was white and I think they had the faces of the performers, but not sure. I know this description isn't going to help, but does anyone know I database I could query against if I put in three songs and have it return what albums they're all on...or all the albums that Burl Ives' HJC is on?

Thanks!

Aggie97
11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I love Christmas music! :santa3:

I am pretty sure that the version of "Sleigh Ride" you are looking for is by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops. It is instrumental and has a muted trumpet at the end that sounds like a high-pitched horse.

There's a pretty good chance that the version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?" was by either Perry Como or Bing Crosby (the two most likely), or perhaps Andy Williams or Ed Ames.

I just spent a little time searching the Internet, as well as iTunes, but I was unable to come up with anything definitive for you.

I did find a web site that shows album covers and track listings for a large number of Christmas compilation records, though. Many of them meet your cover description (white with photos of artists). I'll send you a PM with some links.

There are a lot of web sites that sell vintage Christmas records, but most of them do not include album covers or complete track listings.

You can download the songs you are looking for individually from iTunes.

Another thing to consider purchasing is the Time-Life Treasury of Christmas CD set. You would want the set with four CDs (called Volumes 1 and 2); it has the Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops "Sleigh Ride," "Do You Hear What I Hear?" by both Bing Crosby and Ed Ames, and Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas." It also has a ton of other definitive Christmas classics. I highly recommend it. I'll include a link to it in my PM to you.

There is a Time-Life Treasury of Christmas 2-CD Collection sold on Amazon, but this does not include all the songs you are looking for and is not nearly as good as the original four-CD set.

Good luck! :tree: