PDA

View Full Version : Paint brush at Tom Sawyers Island

RockinRollerMom
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
DD and DH are very interested in trying to find these on our next trip. I have read that it is best to be the first boat over in the morning. Has any-one actually found one of these? What time of day was it? Do they normally hide them in the same spots? I just didn't know how hard it was to actually do.

BigRedDad
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
It is done first thing in the morning. The people who find them get FPs for BTMRR. They are randomly hidden. If not, it would be a foot race to the same location every morning.

ayeckley
11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Has any-one actually found one of these? What time of day was it? Do they normally hide them in the same spots? I just didn't know how hard it was to actually do.

We've done this on several occassions. I've never seen brushes other than at the very beginning of the day, so we always try to be on the first raft over. Frequently (usually?) TSI opens a bit later than the rest of the park, so you'll likely have to give up some other activity in order to wait in line for the first raft over.

<edit> They are usually sitting on the side of a trail. Not particularly difficult to find.

We mostly do it because it's a fun activity, not because it's "free" FP.

RockinRollerMom
11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
We mostly do it because it's a fun activity, not because it's "free" FP.

:ditto: It's much more of the thrill of the hunt than anything else! I was just hoping that if we got the first boat over that our chances of finding one would be decent.

Momof2boys
11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
We were there 2 weeks ago and on per castmembers this is no longer being done. They were unsure if it's a permanent decision or temporary. We still made the trip over to the island on 3 different days so the boys could play and DH and I could play checkers :)

RockinRollerMom
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
We were there 2 weeks ago and on per castmembers this is no longer being done. They were unsure if it's a permanent decision or temporary.

WOW! What a bummer! We will still make the journey over to TSI even if there aren't any paintbrushes, but I'm hoping that maybe they will be back by early December when we go! Thanks for the update.

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-10-2008, 05:25 PM
We just found one on October 12!

TSI opened at 10 am that day, so we had time to ride Splash and Big Thunder before hitting the raft over to TSI.

The cast member told us that 6 were hidden that particular day. By 11 am, 5 had been found. **Keep in mind, they don't want you wandering off designated areas, and they seem to hope kids will find them. It's not too tricky, and that's why they get found fairly quickly.

Cast Member Rob told my son he could give him a coupon for a free snack or a fast pass (for any MK ride that day, for our entire family).

I told DS5 that we could always BUY a snack, but not a fastpass!! (just in case he was thinking with his tummy . . . . )

pixiegoose
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I found one when we were there Sept. 2007. We headed to the island on one of the last rafts of the day and I actually found one! So, it is possible to find them at any time of day- it's all just luck.

RockinRollerMom
11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
We just found one on October 12!

Thanks for the info! At least now I know there is a chance!

ltam16
11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
We did this our last trip in April and had such a good time. The kids found one and were so excited. We went back the next day to explore some more. TSI is a hidden treasure that a lot of people overlook and a great place for the kids to really run around a bit. It was a nice break from lines and rides.

johnO
11-11-2008, 02:40 PM
You learn something new about the 'World of Disney" everyday. Neat. I've never heard of this but here is yet another example of why WDW is so fascinating & head and shoulders above anything considered to be it's competition. The simple nuances that add up to create an incredible vacation......

:mickey: