PDA

View Full Version : AKL Standard View???

Jarrod
11-09-2008, 01:59 PM
We are booked in an AKL Standard View room for our upcoming trip. Can anyone who has stayed in these rooms comment on them. I understand we will have a view of the parking lot, not the animals. Does it ruin the magic, or can you still see animals from the hallways, etc? I don't know why I am asking because there is nothing else avail to upgrade to, but I guess I just like torture. Thanks for any help!:confused:

Zawadi
11-09-2008, 03:10 PM
It is very unlikely that you will see any animals from a standard view room. Hovever, there are plenty of places around the resort to view the animals:

Large outdoor areas by the pool and Arusha(?) Rock, plus public balconies on the 2nd Floor of the various trails which overlook the savannahs.

Sinewiz
11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
It certainly doesn't ruin the magic. The AKL is a wondeful place to stay. Yes, it's very nice to get up in the morning and gaze out at the savanna but if money is a concern I wouldn't think twice about booking a standard. There are plenty of public places to view the animals and the money can probably be better spent somewhere else. Don't worry about it for another second, you've made a great selection. And who knows, they may upgrade you anyway.
Have a great trip. ;)

Cheloconnell
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
We had booked a standard view room back in December 2006. We were upgraded to a pool view room when we checked in. There is always hope, but it is still a beautiful place to be no matter what the view :mickey:

sacandjac
11-09-2008, 10:32 PM
We stayed there in 2006 and were booked for a standard view, but when we checked in we were given a savanna view, not the main savanna, but the one in the back of the hotel. It was great! We are booked there again in January and hoping for the same luck, but no matter what we will be at Disney and having a great time!

EmmMOM2
11-10-2008, 07:54 AM
We've always booked a standard and ALWAYS been upgraded to a Savannah Animal View Room.

But, if you dont get upgraded you can still see animals from the hallways and outdoor viewing areas. It's still a great experience and a wonderful place to stay.

lawgirl
11-10-2008, 09:14 AM
We just got back from AKL. When I made the reservations in Sept, it was for a standard room. I requested they put us on the Zebra Trail or Kudu Trail. 4 days before our arrival, I faxed in a request to the AKL (check under info central link for info), asking for a room on the 4th floor, again on the Zebra or Kudu Trail.

When we got there, we were put on the Sunset Savannah. It was absolutely perfect. We saw giraffes, zebras, ostriches every single day!

If I can recommend these rooms to you---fax in the request to AKL about 3-4 days before your arrival; request a room on the Ostrich Trail, and the rooms 4120, 4122, 4124, 4126...any of the even number rooms will be facing the savannah on the Ostrich Trail; the odd numbers face the parking lot.

zebradome17
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
One thing to remember is that not all standard rooms have a view of the parking lot. Supposedly some rooms that have a pool or savannah view are classed as standard rooms if the view is not that obvious. But whatever view you get, it is still a great hotel and you will have plenty of opportunities to see the animals anyway.:D

bkfree
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
We just got back from AKL. When I made the reservations in Sept, it was for a standard room. I requested they put us on the Zebra Trail or Kudu Trail. 4 days before our arrival, I faxed in a request to the AKL (check under info central link for info), asking for a room on the 4th floor, again on the Zebra or Kudu Trail.

When we got there, we were put on the Sunset Savannah. It was absolutely perfect. We saw giraffes, zebras, ostriches every single day!

If I can recommend these rooms to you---fax in the request to AKL about 3-4 days before your arrival; request a room on the Ostrich Trail, and the rooms 4120, 4122, 4124, 4126...any of the even number rooms will be facing the savannah on the Ostrich Trail; the odd numbers face the parking lot.

Hi, are all these rooms standard view. We are going on Dec 3 and it will be our first time at AKL. We have also booked standard rooms.
One reason we upgraded to AKL was balconies. Our son is ASD and having a balcony really helps him a lot. He doesn't necessarily care what it looks out on, but anything would be better than a parking lot.

iheartdisney
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
We contacted Magical Journeys last summer to request a quote for savanna view rooms for the first week of Dec. Because we mulled it over a few days we were 'stuck' with standard view rooms because everything else was booked by the time we called back. Evidently, crews for the parade were staying at AKL and the place was packed. At check in we asked if any savanna rooms were available. We were in luck! One of our two rooms could be upgraded but my in-laws graciously took the standard. After our first night we met for breakfast and my in-laws said they saw giraffe from their room, which was considered a standard. They did not have a view of the parking lot but they did say that there was some kind of construction that they could see from their room. Take lawgirl's advice about requesting a few days out AND ask at check-in. It worked for us! And (fingers crossed) if you still have to stay in a standard room maybe you'll luck out like my in-laws did! Anyway you look at it, AKL is a wonderful place to stay. And the transportation is the quickest in all of WDW.

lawgirl
11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi, are all these rooms standard view. We are going on Dec 3 and it will be our first time at AKL. We have also booked standard rooms.
One reason we upgraded to AKL was balconies. Our son is ASD and having a balcony really helps him a lot. He doesn't necessarily care what it looks out on, but anything would be better than a parking lot.

I may be wrong, but I think all these rooms are standard rooms. When we checked in, the CM told us we had standard view rooms. The sunset savannah is alot smaller than the other ones. The rooms across the hall from us looked out over the parking lot. If you can, try and fax in a request 3-4 days prior to arrival requesting those room numbers...and even 5120, 5122m,5124. And also ask when you check in. Good luck!