PDA

View Full Version : Renting Vacation points

Jeri Lynn
11-09-2008, 10:21 AM
HI,
I am seriously considering rental DVC points next year for our vacation.

For those of you who have done this, what are the positives and negatives.

Is it still possible to get a tickets/dining package?

Thanks!

g8rgirl29
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I sent you a PM in regards to our DVC rental. You can get tickets and dining. We added dining, payment due at check in. We found tickets through a discount site and had them added to our room key. Make sure to do your research. There is a ton of info here on Intercot!! This link is great http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549 . Good luck and have a great time.

scootch713
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I am renting from a DVC member and saved $1000 over my reservation from last year. I was able to add the dining plan(without buying tickets ... have nonexpiring tickets left that I bought at ticket broker).. so that was another plus. The only real drawback is it is similar to ebay, the DVC person actually owns the reservation and could potentially cancel it on you. You get your own ME tickets and such though so you can find ways to check to be sure the reservation is ok. I will let you know next week after we return if it worked out for us. I feel confident it will. You can go to the county website and verify the person does actually own a disney timeshare.

DizneyRox
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Renting points is a trust thing. Happens ALL THE TIME, but I'm sure there are people who get stiffed. Disney can and will cancel a reservation at the Member discretion and DOES NOT get involved in any transactions that may or may not happen between owners and renters.

That said, renting points I think is going to be fairly popular with all the SSR points out there.

meandmydog1
11-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I rented points through a guy I work with so I was confident that I was not getting "stiffed". With that said, I saved over $1,000.00 on my reservation and I obviously was very happy, received better accomodations than I could normally afford and received all the DVC perks. I am and will do it again in a minute. I think its better than owning!

DizneyRox
11-17-2008, 07:28 AM
I think its better than owning!
I don't know about that. The savings you enjoyed in renting could be dwarfed by the savings he enjoys every year. At $11 a point (the going rate), you're looking at probably double the cost of the maitenance fees he pays on those points.

Renting is pretty good deal for all involved...

Disneysurprise
11-18-2008, 04:38 PM
We are considering renting points for an upcoming trip (Sept'09) and I'm curious -- if you purchase tickets through a discount site, how do you go about adding them to your room key?

DizneyRox
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
We are considering renting points for an upcoming trip (Sept'09) and I'm curious -- if you purchase tickets through a discount site, how do you go about adding them to your room key?
Push for someone at the front desk that knows how to do this. It CAN be done, but many either claim to not know, or really don't know. With the training these days, it might just be that they really don't know.