PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West Information Needed

HJL413
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Hello All:

We are planning a January 09 trip and just received a message from our travel agent that the discounts aren't currently available for the GF which is where were are currently booked. We are travelling with very good friends so we are currently in 2 rooms

We have been offered a 2 room villa at OKW and the package price is amazing. It might be fun to put our 2 families in the same room. We don't know anything about this resort and need information. I know people here will have information, thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance

HARRY

ThanxForNoticin
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
We are Vacation Club members and have stayed at OKW many times. It's a terrific resort - very peaceful and relaxing. The one potential negative for you switching from GF to OKW would be the location. It's hard to beat the monorail for convenience to MK and EPCOT. At OKW, all of your transportation to the parks will be either bus or drive. On the positive side, the 2BR villas at OKW might be the nicest accomodations on the entire Disney property. It can be perfect for 2 families. The layout includes a master br, a full-sized bedroom with 2 queen beds, and a full-sized living room/kitchen area that includes a fold-out queen-sized bed. The family staying in the full-sized bedroom can have privacy and their own bathroom - the same for the family staying in the master BR. The 2BR also includes a washer and drier should you need one. You also can park near your room - not at some remote lot like many of the resorts.

Even though OKW requires bus transportation to the theme parks, you do have an opportunity to take a boat to Downtown Disney if you like to spend time there. The entertainment area at OKW is amazing, too. It includes a very nice pool, beach play area, playground, sauna, ping pong, tennis courts, basketball court, shuffleboard, bike rentals, boat rentals, and more. Personally, I would not ever hesitate to stay at OKW. It's a great experience.

kathymk616
11-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I completely agree with ThanxForNoticin. Wonderful accommodations, lousy location. My family joked that the resort was actually in Key West. But if you don't mind a bit of travelling to and from the parks, it will be great.

disneylovinmom
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh, come on, the bus ride is not thaat far. I'm sure it is not as convenient as staying on a monorail resort, but OKW is pretty darn amazing. It will give you so much more room than GF. These rooms are HUGE. If the price is really that terrific, then it will absolutely be worth it to have to ride a bus a few minutes. Who doesn't love a good deal? :mickey:

artyboy
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I completely agree with ThanxForNoticin. Wonderful accommodations, lousy location. My family joked that the resort was actually in Key West. But if you don't mind a bit of travelling to and from the parks, it will be great.

Hey...come on...We DO have to drive from Key West!!!

Don't hesitate to stay at this resort (even though it looks nothing like Key West). Like stated above, the rooms are huge and lovely, and the overall experience is very relaxing. The bus service was always quite pleasant and quick.

Have fun!:mickey:

HJL413
11-13-2008, 09:53 PM
This is a tough decision. I am stating to wonder if The Grand Foridian is worth the extra cost. There is no availability at any of the resorts for 5 in a room with the new discount. The 2 room suite at Old Key West looks fun I am concerned about transportation especially when I am running the marathon on Sunday. We will need to make a decision soon.

ThanxForNoticin
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Based on your situation as you describe it, I would stay at OKW. The transportation situation is a slight negative when compared to GF. But there are many pluses that would make the decision easy for me - OKW. The extra room and the opportunity to have 2 families stay together (but yet still have their own areas at night) is a big plus.

You will have no issue getting to the start of the marathon that morning. I bet there are hundreds of runners staying at OKW with you that weekend. Good luck with your decision and your run.

FYI - the 2BR at OKW has a jacuzzi tub in the room - you might like that after the marathon!

HJL413
11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Our travel agent, a real Disney expert, found 2 rooms at the Grand Floridian with the package. It looks like the marathon trip will include the Grand Floridian. Now it is time to think about dining plans

Simba's Mom
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't forget that at OKW, you have that big balcony with the table and chairs. Great for sitting outside, having beverages or a meal on the balcony. Or if you'd rather be served your beverages, you could visit the Gurgling Suitcase. I love that little "adult beverage" spot. Although come to think of it, two families? For that, they might have to empty out Gurgling Suitcase for you-it really is little.