PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi ??

tigger_ttfn
11-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay this time is a short trip and we are trying the Deluxe Dining Plan. I want to try more restaurants that we haven't yet tried.

I know that Sci Fi gets mixed reviews. Can I get reviews from anyone who has gone very recently?

We are doing some old favorites and some new ones. Looking for something new and fun. We've done 50's everytime.

So far our ADRs are:

Coral Reef
Crystal Palace breakfast
CRT Lunch
Kona Dinner
Ohana Breakfast
Le Cellier Lunch - (all I could get)
Liberty Tree Tavern
Yak and Yeti

:mickey:

SurferStitch
11-08-2008, 08:52 AM
We had lunch there a few weeks ago, and it was very good.

We shared the onion rings for an appetizer, and they were cooked perfectly. Very good.

I had the Beef and Blue salad, and it was delicious. The beef was cooked just the way I like it, and the salad was huge.

DH had the Angus Chuck Burger, and he said he really liked it. Fries were excellent.

We hadn't been back to the Sci-Fi for a while, so we were really glad we went again.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know if this is recent enough for what you're looking for, but we went to the Sci-Fi for the first time in May.

I hated my meal. The appetizer was OK, the dessert great, but the entree (I had the ribs) was terrible...just horrible!

Everyone one in our group said that their meal was "OK", nothing stood out at all.

It is a neat place, great atmosphere, but the food is going to be only OK, so you'll have to decide if it is worth a DDP credit.

Thumper03
11-08-2008, 10:15 AM
We've been there twice. Both times the food was average. We've never had anything we would call "bad", but the atmosphere is the draw...not the quality of the food. The desserts are always good. They do have great shakes. For a dining plan - sit-down meal option, I wouldn't rank it high on the value scale.

PixiePrincess
11-08-2008, 12:03 PM
The first time we dined there, we loved the atmosphere, but didn't love the food. We decided to go a second time and give it another chance, but the food still wasn't all that great.

green ranger
11-08-2008, 12:04 PM
We love the Sci-Fi for LUNCH. We don't do dinner there. In September, we had the dining plan, but paid out of pocket for lunch there. In my opinion, there are just better restaurants to use the dining plan on. My burger was very good. The atmosphere is just so much fun.

SBETigg
11-08-2008, 12:50 PM
We love the Sci-Fi for LUNCH. We don't do dinner there. In September, we had the dining plan, but paid out of pocket for lunch there. In my opinion, there are just better restaurants to use the dining plan on. My burger was very good. The atmosphere is just so much fun.

This pretty much seems to sum it up. Stick to lunch or snacks. It is worth a visit for the fun atmosphere.

mdhiggin
11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I have to agree. No one in my party of 11 in September really enjoyed the food. Mine was pretty good, but I opted for something simple, pastrami on rye instead of dinner food. The atmosphere is what makes the restaurant. Go at lunch and have a sandwich and milkshake.

dmosher
11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree with many above, the food is average--> good (never been amazing), but the atmosphere, appetizers and desserts are great. If your an alcoholic beverage drinker, the milkshakes are also amazing! I would recommend SFD just for the experience alone, go, have fun but don't expect TOO MUCH out of the food.
:pipes:
D

tigger_ttfn
11-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. This really helps!!!

I guess I just need to decide if I really want to use the credit for the atmosphere. But, at least I know to expect only so-so food if I do.

anneo
11-08-2008, 05:53 PM
The food is just ok. We kind of regretted using a sit down credit for this place. We were on our honeymoon, and we had to share a car with a family. They were really nice, but still, we would have enjoyed having a car to ourselves. Maybe you could ask if you could go inside and look at the decor and use your dining credit somewhere else.

Ropachs
11-08-2008, 08:12 PM
We were there 2 weeks ago for lunch. Our server was good, the atmosphere was excellent. We all (4 adults,2 kids) had the burger and enjoyed them, LOVED the fries. We stuck to the burgers BECAUSE of all the bad reviews of the other food, now I wish I had at least tried something else. I'd go for it, you have to try everything once!

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Dh and I love it there. We're eating there again on this years trip......November 30th for dinner ( two weeks from tomorrow we fly down ):cloud9:

Next trip: 11/24-12/5 @ the POP:number1:

LudwigVonDrake
11-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Go for lunch. The food is passable but the atmosphere is awesome :thumbsup:

Belster
11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
The atmoshpere is great! When you are on the DDP especially the delux you eat so much rich food that we find that eating a sci-fi is like eating a regular meal for once. We enjoy it, no it is not steak and such, but is a wonderful break from the other types of food you are eating all week. We just went 2 weeks ago. We will be going again on our next trip.

Hope you enjoy it.

Marker
11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
We ate there in September. I won't say we "loved it", but it was good and I didn't feel disapponted at all. We really like the theming. However, there were just 2 of us, so we sat side-by-side, had we been a party of 3 or 4 it would have been a little odd with some sitting behind the others.

Our food --

Spinach and Artichoke Dip - very good. Nothing unique, but it was good Spinach and Artichoke Dip.

I had the Shrimp Pasta (Bow Tie Pasta and Sauteed Shrimp tossed with Artichoke Hearts, Kalamata Olives, Baby Spinach and Feta) and really enjoyed.

My daughter had the Italian Grilled Chicken Sandwich (Italian Grilled Chicken Sandwich - with Bruschetta topping served on a Kaiser Roll with Cucumber-Melon Salad or French Fries.)
He comment was "it was a good chicken sandwich". She didn't care for the Cucumber-Melon salad, but I thought it looked good.

Dessert was the Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce and Treats. It was awesome. It was topped with a big dallop of whipped cream, and surrounded by caramel corn and M&Ms. mmmm

I probably wouldn't rate it as one of my top 10, but I'd gladly go back.

Jennib
11-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I love the Sci-fi and actually we are going next week. The place is great inside.. and I loved the food. I can't wait to go back ..the atmosphere really makes it!! You should go!!!

Pigtunia
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
We had lunch there a few weeks ago, and it was very good.

We shared the onion rings for an appetizer, and they were cooked perfectly. Very good.

I had the Beef and Blue salad, and it was delicious. The beef was cooked just the way I like it, and the salad was huge.

DH had the Angus Chuck Burger, and he said he really liked it. Fries were excellent.

We hadn't been back to the Sci-Fi for a while, so we were really glad we went again.

Thanks for the tip on the Beef & Blue salad: I was eyeing that item.
=============================

If you're from a region that has really good roadhouse-style restaurants OR if you're a foodie, you probably won't like the food at SciFi. Otherwise, you'll like it just fine.

The atmosphere IS the thing, however, and that is definitely worth experiencing at least once.

thrillme
11-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I did the Shrimp Bow-tie pasta too and liked it. My boys had the ribs. They "liked" the ribs enough but they just don't compare to our Texas Roadhouse...We also had Onion Rings (good) and Milkshakes came with our dining plan along with a chocolate peanut butter cheesecake...(DS had a hot fudge sundae)...We ended up with quite a "sugar rush" upon leaving :D.

As many times as DS and I have been there we still enjoy the movie reels and eating in the car. My DS would be crushed if we didn't go so that's ALWAYS a "must" place for us.

SandmanGStefani24
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
when we ate there, we had more of a snack type meal. we ordered appetizers, and then deserts or drinks. i had an excellent bowl of chili and i dont think there were any complaints at our table. eat dinner elsewhere, or eat a nice lunch and grab this as a small dinner. it may not be the best meal you've had but the ambience is great and you'll have a great time. :marg: