PDA

View Full Version : new years eve/day

TFrauts
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I was just wondering if anyone who has been there, can tell me what disney does special for new years eve day?? It must be something good, if it sells out every year!! Is it worth going when it is soooo busy??

chrisb26
11-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure what they do during the day time but I know they have a special fireworks show to ring in the new year.

I've never been but I have seen video and it is a great show!

momofarealprincessf
11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
If you go on You Tube you can see videos of the Countdown in Magic Kingdom. I have heard and seen on numerous websites that they pass out horns and hats.
We'll be there for New Years Eve and are hoping it's truly magical! :party:

elmjimmlm
11-08-2008, 01:54 PM
We'll be there for New Years Eve and are hoping it's truly magical! :party:

We will also be there for NYE along with my DB and family...:thumbsup:

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
We have done NYE at MK twice.
Nothing really special goes on during the day, but the times we were there they did pass out hats and horns starting in late afternoon. In 2006 they had a DJ set up in Tomorrowland that kept several thousand people rocking.
The area in front of the Castle turns into a solid mass of people well before midnight. It is a zoo!!

But the countdown and fireworks at midnight make the hassle well worth it in our book. We hope to be able to do it again next year. :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Personally, I would avoid MK on NYE. If you want to know, they do the special fireworks on the 29th and 30th as well. I'd recommend seeing it one of those nights, and then going to a different park on NYE. I'd suggest Epcot, for their infamous WWIII barges.

Also, MK is insanely busy, crowded and usually at max by 10 or 11 on NYE. You won't be able to leave, otherwise you won't get back in.

There will be additional streetmosphere and shows going on, just the usual ones though. They will have the Citizens out later, and they will run two of the day parades (during this time, it's the Christmas parade). However, all of this happens in the time before Christmas and NYE anyways, so all the more reason to not bother being at MK on NYE.

TFrauts
11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
THanks a lot!! THat Definitely helps!!

#1donaldfan
11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
I suppose we'll be there too....I am exicited, but at the same time a little "scared"....I'm afraid it'll be too busy, too shoulder to shoulder ..... but anyway, we'll just add to the insanity, huh ?? :mickey:

Daisy712
11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
We have been to Magic Kingdom twice for New Year's Eve. The first year was 2000/2001. The temperature was around 30 degrees. It was just too cold to camp out at the park the whole day. My parents took the kids back to the room and my husband and I stayed for the countdown. The big problem with NYE is that you can't leave the parks because you won't get back in. Disney does not let anyone in after a certain attendace is reached. That also includes if you are staying at a resort. Depending upon the level, you may or may not get in. That said, we were also there for NYE in 2006/2007 and were in the park for 17 straight hours. We didn't want to chance it and leave and not get back in. The weather was perfect this time. The only problem was that they did pass out the horns and hats around 3:00 p.m. People were blowing their horns from 3:00 to midnight and that was enough to put our sensitive DD over the edge. We had to find a quiet spot to get her away from the noise. She was in tears. She was able to pull herself together and we had a great time. Enjoy!!:party:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I have been to Epcot for New Year's twice now, and once at MK

This year I am going again with my girlfriend (a first-timer!) and plan on seeing the MK fireworks on the 30th and go to Epcot on the 31th :)

CU Tiger
11-17-2008, 12:20 PM
The video of the special NYE fireworks was incredible! :fworks: :party:I just wonder if it is really worth fighting the crowds for the show. We will be there this year for NYE, but I think we will just hang out somewhere else.:mickey:

Jasper
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
We were at the MK for the Millennium New Years eve of 1999-2000 and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!! Even though it was the millennium, the MK was at its normal NYE attendance levels because of closing the gates early as has already been mentioned. Even though the fireworks were spectacular, I didn't think they were so great that they were worth fighting the crowds for.

Even though we were there for the morning rope drop, during the course of the day we were only able to do a few attractions because the lines were so long. Then as the midnight hour approached anything close to the center of the park around the castle became absolutely impassible because of all the people. I am just happy that we did not see anyone needing emergency care because it would have been almost impossible to get EMT's to them!

About two weeks ago we decided to see if we could get rooms on property and do a week at WDW during the end of December 2008 or beginning of January 2009. As she was planning my wife was talking about how great it would be to be in the Magic Kingdom for New Year again!!! I was never so happy to find out that we couldn't do that week and have to wait for the first week of January instead!