PDA

View Full Version : Any love for us with the new deal?

pugslave
11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
We are going down in May, and was wondering if they are doing anything for DVC'rs with the 7 days for the price of 4 promotion. Seems kinda unfair.....

mrbghd
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
We are going down in May, and was wondering if they are doing anything for DVC'rs with the 7 days for the price of 4 promotion. Seems kinda unfair.....
I hope you were kidding about the unfair part. Disney is a business and they need to increase their earnings for the near future. The way for them to do this is to give an incentive to those that may not have traveeld to Disney due to the economy. This is geared to those who were either on the fence about going or those who are not die-hards (yours truly and I am assuming you as well) Disney knows we will show up in almost any situation so they need to encourage others to come. By owning a DVC they have your money pracitaclly guaranteed. You pay a fairly substantial amount of money to be in DVC so they know you will use it. From a business perspective there is NO REASON to offer any further discounts to DVC members. They are trying to increase the numbers in the parks and you would not help becasue they view you as a "guarantee" in the parks and they are trying to add to that number.

DizneyRox
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I too would be very surprised to see anything for DVC members. If anything, it would be better for them to keep us away. We're already paying for the upkeep, etc, if we don't use the points, they can actually double sell those rooms and make more money, or at the very least, "upgrade" people into those rooms as a good will gesture in hopes to win some brownie points.

Raye3201
11-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Although I don't regret my decision to buy into the Beach Club, when I hear how many perks original DVC members received when DVC started, I am surprised that Disney doesn't want me to feel taken care of as opposed to feeling like the neglected child. All the discounts that are offered do not convince me to ever buy another DVC or to recommend it to friends....not exactly what Disney should be doing! Keeping us away is right.:mickey:

Simba's Mom
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I hope you were kidding about the unfair part. Disney is a business and they need to increase their earnings for the near future. The way for them to do this is to give an incentive to those that may not have traveeld to Disney due to the economy. This is geared to those who were either on the fence about going or those who are not die-hards (yours truly and I am assuming you as well) Disney knows we will show up in almost any situation so they need to encourage others to come. By owning a DVC they have your money pracitaclly guaranteed. You pay a fairly substantial amount of money to be in DVC so they know you will use it. From a business perspective there is NO REASON to offer any further discounts to DVC members. They are trying to increase the numbers in the parks and you would not help becasue they view you as a "guarantee" in the parks and they are trying to add to that number.
You could also look at it as Disney might want to appreciate those people who remain loyal in spending money at WDW throughout the good times and bad of the economy. If they treat us like "they have our money practically guaranteed", that might make some DVC members feel taken for granted and lose their loyalty. When any company loses its loyal, repeat customers, that's not good for the company's business future -ask most company owners.

DizneyRox
11-07-2008, 10:04 PM
You could also look at it as Disney might want to appreciate those people who remain loyal in spending money at WDW throughout the good times and bad of the economy. If they treat us like "they have our money practically guaranteed", that might make some DVC members feel taken for granted and lose their loyalty. When any company loses its loyal, repeat customers, that's not good for the company's business future -ask most company owners.
This is true for most businesses, however DVC is a little different. If you don't like the service that your local grocery store provides, you can move to another. That store has lost your business.

With DVC, there is a deed filed with the county that says I'm going to give Disney money for the next 50 years (or so). I AM coming back, OR I can take it upon myself to sell my interest, but that's up to me to do, until then, Disney sends me a bill for dues and inititally a large sum of money for the opportunity to pay them more each year. Selling your DVC interest in effects swaps one wallet for another. It doesn't matter where the money is coming from, only that it comes. Disney doesn't buy back DVC memberships UNLESS there is a financial gain for Disney, meaning they can make a significant profit in buying yours at a low price and selling it back to someone else for a higher price.

I wouldn't compare DVC with your typical service first business. They are two different beasts, ther eis a contract in place with DVC.

I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be nice, but the reality is much different.

lockedoutlogic
11-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Why would disney want to give a vacation club peep a deal?

They've already HAVE you on the hook....
it's in the fine print of your contract:thedolls:

pugslave
11-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Why would disney want to give a vacation club peep a deal?

They've already HAVE you on the hook....
it's in the fine print of your contract:thedolls:

True! But as a DVC member, I feel we are some of their best advertisement, and their most loyal people, and while I understand it is a business and we chose to buy into it, a little extra appreciation goes a long way.

lockedoutlogic
11-08-2008, 12:09 AM
True! But as a DVC member, I feel we are some of their best advertisement, and their most loyal people, and while I understand it is a business and we chose to buy into it, a little extra appreciation goes a long way.

you have a valid point in some ways....

but i think that DVC members are the best advertisement FOR DVC....not walt disney world....

If you'll notice....perhaps on your next trip.....DVC owners have a certain "air" to them....they talk a certain way....many of them (and i am one....so let's be clear) tend to have the tips of their nose bend slightly northward....
of course some more than others....but the simple fact is that DVC people push the timeshare....which is of course out of the price range and/or tastes of the majority of WDW visitors....

It's safe to say that disney doesn't get alot of 6 day packages at POP from the enthusiastic chiding of DVC members to the Hendersons down the street.....

DVC has already locked in their "special treatment" from Disney:
Disney has agreed to basically give you upscale rooms at a diminishing cost every year for a half century.....

that is no small thing....considering they HATE to put any caps on their revenue streams...

In return you agree to blow cash on tickets, dining, and the Keys to the Kingdom Tour for at least another generation....

it's a symbiotic relationship

Polynesian Dweller
11-08-2008, 12:09 AM

Hmm, except this isn't about customer appreciation. This is about weakening hotel bookings due to the economic downturn and trying to limit the loss of business. They are trying to get people to come who wouldn't otherwise. DVC members revenue is already guaranteed.

Why would they give up a portion of the revenue when the economic situation says they have to try to keep as much as they can. And unless people think otherwise, Disney is not recession proof and without prudent management are as at much risk to their future as any other company. No company is so big that it can't go under (see Lehman Brothers, Bear Sterns and possibl GM).

Simba's Mom
11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
This is true for most businesses, however DVC is a little different. If you don't like the service that your local grocery store provides, you can move to another. That store has lost your business.

With DVC, there is a deed filed with the county that says I'm going to give Disney money for the next 50 years (or so). I AM coming back, OR I can take it upon myself to sell my interest, but that's up to me to do, until then, Disney sends me a bill for dues and inititally a large sum of money for the opportunity to pay them more each year. Selling your DVC interest in effects swaps one wallet for another. It doesn't matter where the money is coming from, only that it comes. Disney doesn't buy back DVC memberships UNLESS there is a financial gain for Disney, meaning they can make a significant profit in buying yours at a low price and selling it back to someone else for a higher price.

I wouldn't compare DVC with your typical service first business. They are two different beasts, ther eis a contract in place with DVC.

I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be nice, but the reality is much different.
You make a good point. Sort of sad, but true!

FiggyFan
11-08-2008, 08:24 PM
...if we don't use the points, they can actually double sell those rooms and make more money...

Actually, this isn't true. If DVC members don't use the points, Disney will rent the room, but Disney can't just pocket the money. Rental income from rooms that were declared part of DVC go into the DVC budget as "breakage" income. This income helps keep annual dues down. Of course, rental income from the portion of a DVC resort that Disney kept for themselves does go to Disney.

Last year's annual meeting notice showed expected 2008 breakage income at about 10 cents per vacation point for both BWV and BCV - not much when viewed from that perspective, but in total dollars, it is several hundred thousand dollars per resort.

Raye3201
11-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree with the statement about us DVC members already receiving perks in that Disney guarantees us an upscale room at a diminishing cost - but I can use my DVC at resorts all around the world.

With the downturn in vacation travellers, Disney should still be trying to convince me that I want to spend my points at Disney and not Intrawest or some other place. Disney makes a lot of money off their tickets and food and really isn't that what they are trying to 'sell' to the DVC members year after year? Not just a visit to the resorts but visits to the parks?

I think of those BLT newbies that didn't receive the developer points and now Disney is offering the developer points to those buying this week. What about the ones who signed up in the preceding weeks? It just seems to me that Disney is being a bit short-sighted and not ensuring the loyalty from DVC members to visit more often and spend more money.