PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex: must see?

DisneyMiMi
11-06-2008, 11:24 AM
We'll be there Jan 20 - looking at what some people have posted at other sites, it seems very loud - crowded and overpriced. I would like to hear from someone who has gone and get an opinion if it is worth the money and effort? Thanks in advance for any info.

TinkerbellT421
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Hmm good question, I never got to find any reviews about this place, I wasnt on for a little while. And me and DBF are also going in January and wondering if we should bother trying this place. We would have to OOP for it seeing its not the DDP....I would love to know if its worth it or not...We were debating San Angels Inn...but after reading everyones reviews we figured thats a no go lol

SurferStitch
11-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm really glad we tried it! We went 2 days after it opened to have lunch. The atmosphere is fantastic. We ate in the Ice Room, and it was really cool. The lighting and effects are awesome.

We loved the food. It is expensive, but we felt it was pretty much worth it. DH and I shared the Footprints Flatbread to start. It was quite large, and delicious. I had the Mesozoic Mahi Mahi, and it was wonderful. Huge portion! DH had the Paleo Shrimp, and he said it was very good. Again, huge portion.

We wanted dessert, but we were just too stuffed.

Our server was pretty good, but you could tell she was inexperienced. I'm sure once everyone is used to the menu offerings, it will get better.

It was loud, but what do you expect from a place with huge dinos, mammoths and asteroid impacts?

We will definitely go again. It was a lot of fun.

TinkerbellT421
11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I kinda of imagine it like Rainforest Cafe but Dinosaurs? If so I love Rainforest Cafe! :mickey:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Dh and I will be there in 18 days. Our friends recommend the Ice room. The pictures look awesome and the food sounds so good. Can't wait to see it for lunch on November 24th..:eat:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP:thumbsup:

Mackflava99
11-06-2008, 11:44 PM
its so much like a planet hollywood or rain forest- its not much different

Granny Jill A
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes, it's LOUD, especially in the Geo-Tech Room and around the Shark Bar in the Coral Reef Room. We were seated in Geo-Tech right next to some dinosaurs who made noise every so often. During the meteor shower, conversation came to a complete halt.

We had requested the Ice Cave or Fern Forest, but we ended up in Geo-Tech one time and the Coral Reef Room the next.

If you like lots of noise and action, you'll love the cafe.

kdsjjb
11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I kinda of imagine it like Rainforest Cafe but Dinosaurs? If so I love Rainforest Cafe! :mickey:

Rainforrest is exactly what we compared it to, when we went last month. If you like Rainforrest, you'll probably like T Rex.

We ate at Rainforrest once in 2002, that was enough.

We ate at T Rex once last month, that was enough.

The themeing was cool at both, but we thought that the food was lacking.

Disneyfan1971
11-07-2008, 01:56 PM
From what i've read on here..I SO want to go to this place---is this on the DDP? If not I really don't care about spending the extra money to go :)

pox24
11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Went for dinner two weeks ago.It was awesome. I can't wait to go back.

PirateLover
11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Just bumping this to see if there are any more reviews yet. DH-to-Be is interested in trying this place out when we go in June. :mickey:

ASweetLov
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
My fiance and I would like to try T-Rex, seams like a very fun place to try. Is there a menu anywhere on the net to see???? I cant seam to find one!

Cheloconnell
11-16-2008, 02:29 PM
We ate there in October when it first opened. The atmosphere is great! The food and pricing was average - similar to Rainforest since they are owned by the same company. I would definitely recommend the experience and to give it a try. The biggest disappointment for me was the gift shop and Build-a-Dino area. Both were small and so overcrowded I had to leave. I would have liked some more time to roam through there - maybe next time :mickey:

disneychick62
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
we went last week. we couldnt even get in the door. i didnt want to eat at ten o clock at nite so we skipped it. It is very expensive, but it is in Disney World. Its not on DDP cause Disney dont own it. but it does look cool in there...

AHOTE
11-16-2008, 09:37 PM
We had lunch there 11/11. It is something to do at least once just for the experience. The food was good but not great and costs were in line with Rainforest Cafe. The service was adequate but you could tell most of the servers were new. We were seated in the ice cave and found the changing light colors and light levels were annoying after the first ten minutes. If you like to see what you're eating it makes it more challenging. Noise levels were high in the ice cave probably because of the shape of the room.
ASweetLov, do a web search for "T-rex Kansas City KS" you'll find a menu on their web site.

ASweetLov
11-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks AHOTE!!!! I searched it and found the menu. It's really a place I am planning to eat at next time I go to WDW!

NH Disneyfan
11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Amazing. I was at a conference just outside Disney and got to Downtown 3 times. The first day, a Monday night, T-Rex was packed with a long line out the door - about 20 parties long. That was at 6pm. By looking in, I knew I wanted to eat there.

The second day I was sick, just out to get out. Didn't eat anything.

The third day I went over to get a steak, as after being sick, I needed something good to eat before flying home.

I sat at the bar. The bar is amazing, a blue ice-like substance. You could slide a drink a mile on that bar. I was one of two people. The huge aquarium in the middle of the u-shaped bar is fun to watch while you wait.

It is loud, very loud. There is the ice caves, a dark fiery area, the dino area in the back, and the reef/acquarium area. The bar has a moving octopus hovering over it - like a 40 foot octopus.

I at the File Mignon. It was the first one the bartender had served. Wow...it was cooked perfect, tender, and amazing. $40 for that and a coke including tip if you're looking for prices. Regardless, it was great.

Go here, a loud, fun, entertaining experience. Enjoy the asteroid show - similar to the thunderstorm at Rainforest. Really loud!!!! Explosions on the ceiling.

AHOTE
11-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks AHOTE!!!! I searched it and found the menu. It's really a place I am planning to eat at next time I go to WDW!

It's a pleasure. Let us know what your impression is when you get back. Enjoy! :D

Diz-Knee
11-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I haven't tried it yet - but even if it's loud, over-priced and bad food, my 3 year old dinosaur loving son will LOVE it! :thumbsup:

dfamasb
11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Living in Kansas City I have experienced T-Rex many times now (we have the first in the country). I think the food is better than Rainforest Cafe and the themeing is pretty cool. If you have dinosaur lovers in your group then I say go for sure! Otherwise, wait a few years, they'll probably be all over the country!

Jasper
11-25-2008, 05:17 PM
We visited some friends north of Chicago two or three weekends ago and ate a meal at the Rainforest Cafe at the Gurney Mills Mall. While eating I mentioned that the same company had just opened the T-Rex at DTD and our friends commented that they had eaten at the one in Kansas earlier this year and had a menu at home if we wanted to see it. On the way out of the Rainforest we picked up one of their take home menus.

To make a long story short, there is a good reason why the food tastes the same at both restaurants. Other than to change the names I would say there are close to half the same dishes that appeared on both menus! For example, my wife had the Mahi-Mahi at the Rainforest and there it was on the T-Rex menu under a different name but with the exact same description!