PDA

View Full Version : Best month to go ?

scottishsue
11-01-2008, 07:34 AM
We have always gone to Orlando in October but are thinking of going in May 2010.

Can anyone help regarding when the US schools break up for summer vacation? And what is the weather like...... is it much the same as October?

Thanks

hardingella
11-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Im interseted in this one too.
We have been three time in february. We have managed to take the kids out of school, extending thier half term. Weather has always been good (chilly at night).Crowds towards end of feb first week of March have been quite low, never queued more than 20 minutes for a ride.
Dont know if that could be an option for you. Also that time of year seems to be one of the cheapest times to go.
We are thinking of May for our next visit, but the heat concerns me a little.
PS Welcome to INTERCOT:rocks:

RockinRollerMom
11-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I am not sure about the rest of the US, but around where I live summer vacation starts in mid-late June. We do have a spring break in April. (normally around the 3rd week) I have been to WDW the first week of May and I think it is really a great time to go. The lines were not bad at all and the weather was comfortable. (mid to high 80's most days)

Tinkerbellfan
11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
We went in October and May and I prefer October. I found the May weather to overly hot and had to take a break mid-day to get out of the heat! I also enjoyed the Wine & Food Festival and the Halloween party more so than the Flower Festival.

But, I prefer mid November or early December to both October and May.

Polynesian Dweller
11-01-2008, 12:07 PM
We've also gone October and May over the years. May always seems to be much hotter than October. I suspect the weather patterns in May allow for a more southerly flow of hotter, humid air while in October (a cooling down month) the air masses allow for a more northerly flow of slightly cooler, drier air. StrmChaser may have more on that.

tnpoohbear
11-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I live in Tennessee and my kids get out of school right before Memorial day in May usually around the 20th or so. We try to go to WDW twice a year in October and either February or March. We love October because the crowds are not bad, the weather is great (usually) and they have the NSSHP. In February the crowds are still not bad - except for President's Day that is really busy! They get busier in March because schools in the south have spring break in March but I think the schools up north have their spring break in April. We have been in May before and it is just getting too hot and humid for us - we have gone before in April and it was OK but depending on when Easter is it can be very busy...

the other micki
11-02-2008, 12:04 AM
We're from Louisiana and May didn't seem too hot for us. Yes, it's warm, but not like July or August. We went mid-May, and didn't have any problem with crowds. I mean, there were people there, but not long lines.

Our kids get out of school around the 20th, as do most southern schools. We don't ever go into June.

GrandFlo
11-02-2008, 07:09 AM
In NYC (and most of the North East), the schools get out the end of June. Other parts of US get out sometime in May, but I think it's later in May.

As for the weather, May is usually warmer than October. I've only gone a few times in early May and the weather wasn't bad, not too hot and not too humid like it is in July/August.

scottishsue
11-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for everyones help here. We're also thinking of flying with a US airline this time too, as we flew Virgin this year and swore never again.

Trying to toss up between AA, Delta and North West.

hardingella
11-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Flown Virgin every time, always had good flights,never delayed going, delayed once on return flight, shorter too as its a jumbo. flown AA once, not that impressed, and also heard bad reports from friends. Dont know about the others, but its also worth thinking about the entertainment onboard as we would have been lost without the seat back tvs for the kids!.

zebradome17
11-02-2008, 02:13 PM
The British half term holiday in March/May is a great time to go. I went in May 07 and the US schools had not broken up. There are still very late extra magic hours but it's not nearly as crowded as in the summer. Also it's not as hot as summer (still a lot cooler later in the year though).

bmj721
11-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Here in the Midwest the public schools usually go to the first to second week of June. It depends on how many snow days they get during winter. The more snow days the farther into June school goes.
:mickey: