PDA

View Full Version : Disney comes to TiVo

caryrae
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Looks like you can now rent Disney movies right on your TiVo. They seem to have a pretty big list.

Also Netflix will be coming to TiVo soon. TiVo just gets better and better all the time.

TiVo Fills Disney Hole with CinemaNow Deal

by Mark Hachman

Beginning next week, most TiVo owners will be able to watch Disney movies that are loaded straight onto the PVR. A separate agreement will load independent films from Jaman.com, beginning Thursday.

The Disney agreement is being fulfilled by CinemaNow, which will offer the movies in standard definition to rent for $2.99 apiece.

TiVo already has signed deals with Amazon Video on Demand, formerly known as Amazon Unbox, which supplies a variety of films from other major Hollywood studios to the TiVo box. With the addition of the Disney content, TiVo users now can watch movies from every major Hollywood studio, the companies said.

The new content will be available to those customers who own broadband-connected TiVo Series2, TiVo Series3, TiVo HD, and TiVo HD XL DVRs.

"Adding thousands more movies to our already expansive broadband lineup is the next step in delivering the most complete, rich world of entertainment to the living room possible," said Tara Maitra, vice president and general manager of content services at TiVo. "Our goal is to offer unlimited media content through one device with one easy-to-use interface, and these partnerships ensure that vision has become a reality."

Jaman's content offerings include a range of Bollywood selections, plus anime classics such as Ghost in the Shell. Selections will be available for $1.99.

Via the CinemaNow technology, subscribers can activate a download from another device, such as a mobile phone or PC, and have it sent directly to the TiVo DVR.

Mufasa
10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
It would be nice to see HD downloads available since you can find them on other platforms.

Some potential drawbacks for users with these movie downloads is that I don't believe they support closed captioning, or TiVo's multi-room viewing functionality.

Also Netflix will be coming to TiVo soon. TiVo just gets better and better all the time.

With Netflix's "watch instantly" streaming, it will only be supported on the TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD boxes (Series 2 TiVo devices lack the CPU power necessary to decode the video format used for Netflix streaming content).

You'll also need to have a decent broadband connection- however the Netflix system will dynamically adjust itself to the available bandwidth (minimum 1.5 Mbps download, with a recommended 3 Mbps for DVD-like standard definition quality).

HD streaming via Netflix is planned for the future on TiVo, though with some pretty steep bandwidth requirements.

DizneyRox
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
I miss my Tivo... :(

caryrae
11-19-2008, 05:55 PM
The watching Netflix on your TiVo deal is coming Dec 2008 and I just saw you can now order from Domino's Pizza through your TiVo as well.