PDA

View Full Version : Golf carts at FW....a must have?

RobinRocksDisney
10-31-2008, 01:42 AM
We will be at FW in Oct 2009 and was wondering if a golf cart is an absolute must have?
Thoughts anyone?:mickey:

JoDisney
10-31-2008, 07:35 AM
It all depends on your particular situation. Does anyone in your party need a golf cart because walking would be a difficulty? Do you mind paying about $50 a day for it? Do you want it to drive around FW? The transportation is fine at FW. You just have to learn their system and you are good to go. The golf cart is something to enjoy the convenience and fun. I liked the golf cart because I would plug it in outside of my cabin and it was there when I needed it. If we wanted to look around FW, travel up to the boat to MK, or go to the pool or the bonfire, it was readily available. It sure was nice to have when we would get off that boat from MK late at night and it was waiting for us!

joonyer
10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Unless you cannot walk, a golf cart at FW is a luxury, not a must have. The internal buses (free) run regularly from very early 'til very late, and the bus ride to anywhere in the campground is only about 5 minutes. We never waited for a bus more than 10 minutes when we were there earlier this month.
Plus, the cost is a hurdle. We only paid $36 per night for our partial (pop-up) site in loop 1500, so there was no way I was paying $54.00 per day for a golf cart, especially since most of the day we weren't even there. The comfort station was less than 100 yards from any site in the loop but we saw several people who apparently had to use their golf cart just to get to the bathroom. I think since they were paying so much for them, they intended to use it for everything they could. It was less than 5 minutes walk to the trading post, campfire movies, or pool from our loop, so I never even considered renting one. Walking is good for you.

If your loop is farther away from things, and you plan on spending your days in the campground instead of the parks, it might be worth it to you. But even then, you really don't need one with the buses. You'll walk a LOT further in the parks than you will in FW.

faline
10-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Have stayed at Fort Wilderness a number of times and have never rented a cart.

mdhiggin
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
We never rented one either, but the preferred spots or whatever they call them now were really nice. We were very close to the launch and Trails End, so we didn't have to use their internal bussing system to get to the resort busstop.

ibrowse17
10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
While not a must have by any means, they do provide a lot of freedom and cut down on the wait time for buses. That really made one nice to have, but you can easily get by without one:thumbsup:

RobinRocksDisney
10-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you everyone!

NJ Camper
11-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Carts are fun a must have NO you could use disney transportation or bike but as i said they are fun we were there last week and they didn't have enough carts to go around they would only let people rent them for a 2 day limit if you had ressies you were fine but if not they limited it so if you are thinking about getting a cart you may want to do it in advance or check into a outside rental good luck with your decision

CU Tiger
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree that the carts are not a “must have”, but they do add a lot of flexibility and can save you time by not having to wait on buses. If you go to the pool, it also makes it easier to carry your “stuff” there. We have rented the cars the past 4 visits and love them.:thumbsup: A cheaper alternative is using bikes. FW is very transportation friendly either way you choose. :mickey:

Poohmomnks
11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
No, the golf carts aren't a "must have", but it was both fun and useful to have. It was very nice to have getting back late at night from MK. We enjoyed using it to just zip around for some shopping, the campfire, the pool, or grabbing a quick bite to eat. We also utiized the bus system....and it was great too. Our youngest kids were 4 and 7 when we stayed at the cabins in 2003...so that fueled our decision to have one.

princessesmom
11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
We have stayed at FW 3 times in the past, the last time with 4 children ages 10, 8, 5, and 23 months. We have never rented a golf cart and I never felt it was a problem not having one. Obviously if you have someone in your party that has problems with walking it would be a necessity. Otherwise we found it very easy to get around via and internal bus system or on foot.

JRocker
11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Add me to the list of people who see golf carts as a luxury. Fifty bucks a day can buy a lot of ice cream bars and other goodies.

So, no, they are not a must have. The bus system within the campgrounds has worked out sufficiently when we've used it.

We have taken our bikes there before, and that definately added enjoyment to the whole experience.

Figaro
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
If you don't mind waiting for a bus, walking, or biking, you can get around easily. The golf cart is the best alternative if you don't want to do either. There's a few places in the campgrounds which you can't get to with a car, but you don't *need* a cart to get around if you walk or bike.