PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bug prevention

iluvdis
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I have been a bit concerned about the possibility of bringing home bedbugs from our upcoming WDW trip after reading some posts from others with the experience. One suggestion was to buy a spray that you could apply to your luggage so the bugs would not get in and come home with you! In making some calls to pest control experts and hardware stores it seems that no one in our area has ever heard of such a thing. Does anyone happen to know the name of such a product??

Thanks!!

thumperbug
10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I've never heard of such a spray. I have also never had a bed bug problem or any other pest problem in all my trips to WDW so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :mickey:

dtootsie42
10-30-2008, 02:01 PM
There is a spray that you can use on your luggage. It is called Rest Easy...not sure where to get it but I know a friend used it when she traveled overseas. Also remember to not put your luggage on the bed when you get to the hotel and don't put your luggage on the bed at home.

There is a great site with lots of tips that was given to us before we traveled to Mexico on a company trip. If you want it let me know.

Tez
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
We have never had any issue with bugs at Disney at all!

dmosher
10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Same here. We have stayed in WDW many many times (35 this year) and thankfully, I have never seen nor heard (while we were there) of anyone encountering bedbugs or other similar pests. The worst I have ever had were the occasional mosquitos and those cute little lizards that run all over. But who doesn't love a little lizard!
:pipes:
D

Bug Man
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
I too have stayed at Disney and will be doing so again this year and have never had a problem.

It is however a concern among hotels. People bring them in but if the hotel acts fast, infestation can be prevented.

The general consensus is that spray does not work and studies show that the bed bug will sit right on top of the chemical.

You can sprinkle some Diatomaceous Earth around the perimeter - it's available at your local store and will cause the bugs to dehydrate.

Hope that helps!

SFD998
10-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Same here. We have stayed in WDW many many times (35 this year)

I know this is off the subject, but I have to ask. I assume you have been there for a total of 35 days not 35 separate trips. Curious and jealous.

DizneyRox
10-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I know this is off the subject, but I have to ask. I assume you have been there for a total of 35 days not 35 separate trips. Curious and jealous.
I would guess it's trips... I'm going on 40 someodd trips since about 94 myself (for a total of probably close to 9 months if I stayed continuously), others go more often than myself I'm sure.

SFD998
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Your trips are over the course of 14+ years. This person wrote 35 this year! Even if each trip was only 3 days that is 105 days. This seems unlikely since they are coming from New Zealand. You would assume that each trip is longer. Therefore, I assume it is 35 total days.

Polynesian Dweller
10-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Your trips are over the course of 14+ years. This person wrote 35 this year!
I assumed that they are meaning that they have travelled to WDW 35 times and this year was the 35th. Of course nobody would mean 35 in a year.

In terms of bed bugs, never seen them in our 19 years (18 consecutive for the bean counters). As a former hotelier, they are a concern and if they do occur you will do anything including throwing out the mattresses and bedding if you have to. Didn't happen to us but that would have been a procedure.

Remember, you are going to Disney, they are very concerned about this and are a top hotelier. It can happen but don't overly fret about it given where you are going. Just give the bed a check when you get ther if you are concerned.

DizneyRox
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I assumed that they are meaning that they have travelled to WDW 35 times and this year was the 35th. Of course nobody would mean 35 in a year.
This is how I read it as well...

faline
10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Bed bugs are becoming an increasing problem. No matter how well the area is cleaned, if someone brings bed bugs in luggage etc., they could very well end up in a hotel bed and then back in your bed. I have gotten in the habit of checking the area between the mattress and the box spring for evidence of these critters. Fortunately, I've not come across any!

Polynesian Dweller
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Bed bugs are becoming an increasing problem.

And it should be added, continent wide not just Florida. So sure, check, but the better the hotelier the better they deal with the issue.

mom2mickeyfan
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
We have spray for the luggage and for the beds. Not sure how well they worked but it helped my peace of mind. We did find a bug last summer when we went to the beach. The resort checked our room out and didn't find any other sign of them. But there was a bug in the bed in the middle of the night and husband swears after looking at them online thats what it was. Here are some of the things we did that is suppose to help and so far, we have found nothing in our home.

Sprayed the luggage before packing clothes to come home.

NEVER laid clean clothes on the bed.

Never put the luggage on the bed.

After arriving home, we did not bring the luggage in the house. Put the whole bag inside a black trash bag and taped it closed. Then put inside our car for the heat from the sun. The heat is suppose to help kill them. If we had had to transport them home in the car, we would have put them in the trash bags before leaving the hotel. I have read that freezing them works also.

I had already decided not to put the luggage and clothes on the bed before leaving home and finding the bug....thank goodness!

We found the spray and our local Ace hardware. We we called to get more for out Disney trip later that summer they were out but told me they could order it for me. So try an Ace Hardware and they may be able to help you out.

I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes you just need to doing something for your peace of mind. Hope some of this info helps.