PDA

View Full Version : Week Before Memorial Weekend

Figment104
10-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi All!

My DH and I just got back from a wonderful vacation in WDW and while there my DH decided he would like to come back in 2009. :cloud9: Do to work schedules and such we've determined that Mid May would be the best time for us to go. Once I started planning I realized that we were going to be there the week leading up to Memorial weekend (5/14 - 5/21). Becuase of this we are ditching our traditional routine of going Sat to Sat (which would have us coming home in the middle of Memorial weekend) to Thurs to Thurs.

So to my question. How are the crowds the week before Memorial weekend? Do a lot of people take the week before off or is it really more an influx of guests the weekend of? I wouldn't think much of it but with this past trip we ended up there for Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving and the crowds that Sat were unbelievable. We were actually told at the MK they were the busiest they had been since July 4th. So I'm just wondering if I need to prepare for that again or if by going Thurs to Thurs we'll beat the crowds. We would also be there for the Canadian long weekend (Victoria Weekend) but I don't think that would be too much of a problem since the locals and people close by don't get it off :blush:

Thanks for all the help and sorry it's so long!

Beast_fanatic
10-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been at that time, but it's been several years. Crowds did seem to build as the week went on, but I didn't think they were too bad until Saturday of Memorial Day weekend (when we could not move at all for awhile in Frontierland). So, I think you'll be OK. :thumbsup:

luvDaMouse
10-29-2008, 09:11 PM
My husband and I went the week prior to Memorial Day this past May ( We went home the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend) We had great Weather, not too hot. We have always gone in July when our kids were out of school, this was our first vacation to Disney without our kids so we did not have to go in the middle of the summer ( a nice change from the "heat" of July) the most we waited for rides was 15 mins. Crowds were minimal. As a matter of fact I have already booked 5-13 to 5-22 2009! I think its a great time to go, after spring break and before school lets out for Summer! :thumbsup:

Tink#64
10-29-2008, 11:27 PM
We have visited in May 4 x, and April 1 x. The last May trip was in 2006 & we arrived on Saturday, the weekend before the holiday weekend! Previously our May trips had always been earlier in May & we'd had wonderful experiences! Also do to schedules, we had to wait until the last week, unfortunately we didn't realize how many kids were already out of school, & many we heard say that they pulled the kids out of their last week of school! Crowds were noticeably larger from arrival day on! Crowds built all week & by Friday of the holiday weekend, the place was wall to wall! It's the only time I've ever seen Pop Century's food court & main pool "CROWDED"! The lines were noticely longer than any we've ever experienced! But if you are arriving that early & leaving on Thursday you should manage fine! The holiday weekend seemed like a zoo to us! We visited this year during early April, which was our DS's Spring Break in KY, also apparently Michigan's, from the people we talked to, but crowds didn't compare to that holiday weekend! I think you'll do fine, if you arrive at park opening, use the fp's & plan for the crowds! It may not seem like a crowd to you at all! you may be pleasantly surprised! :high5:

Wishes for a magical trip! :tink:

yjgirl32
10-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I went in 2007 from thurs to thurs and did not find it bad at all. Again very nice weather, some love bugs, but not too crowded- started to get a little more crowded on Thursday before we left- but still manageable. Good luck and have a great trip.

Figment104
10-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the great and quick replies! You've all made me feel quite a bit better about our decision to go then. No matter what happens I know we'll have fun, but sometimes it sure is nice to have a bit smaller of crowds to deal with.

Thanks!