PDA

View Full Version : 66 days/18 hours/58 minutes

handmaidenofprincesses
10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
My aunt and I just booked our flight to Disney!!:mickey::cloud9: Woohoo!! I'm so excited! It was pretty expensive- $292/person on Southwest, but MUCH better than Northwest (I looked on there this morning and it was almost $500 a person- one way!)

I can't wait to go... (Jan 4-10) I could really use a little Disney magic,:tink: and it will be such a great way to celebrate my aunt's birthday. :party2:

I do have a few questions though:

-What is the weather like? I usually carry a backpack with a rain poncho and sunscreen, but I'm wondering if this is going to be necessary in January. Also, is it short sleeve or long sleeve weather? I'm a northeasterner, so I'm thinking I'll probably be frying down there:sun: (it'll most likely be around 5 degrees here in January:freeze:) but a second opinion never hurts

-my other question is in regards to crowds. everyone says it's really empty that time of year, but i'm sort of looking for a more concrete definition. I'm just worried b/c my aunt has a bad hip and it might be necessary for her to rent a wheelchair, which, heaven only knows, I'm liable topush into ppl:blush: I had also notcied that the parks hours are considerably shorter and I'm concerned that we won't have enough to time to do/see everything...

What can I say? I'm a January newbie lol. Thanks!:mickey3:

teambricker04
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
We are going for our first Jan trip the 8-16th. We'll be there for DH to run the marathon on the 11th. From what I understand it is much less crowded than other times of the year... We'll see, right?!?!? The only times we have had problems with crowds have been during the summer vacation season. I think if you have been during busier times, you will be surprised at how much easier it is to get around.

When we were down in Dec. or Nov. It was really nice during the day and cool at night. The pools are heated so you still may be able to swim. We have visited Tampa/St. Pete in January in the past and have been in shorts/t shirts during the day and then jeans and sometimes a sweat shirt at night. It doesn't rain as much in January. I think you would be fine leaving the poncho at the hotel room :)

Sunscreen will still be a must :) It can be tempting not to put it on since it isn't hot, but you will still need it!!!

brian2000boston
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Congrats!

michelLe x3
10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I went for the first time in Jan. this year & it was wayyy to cold for me (I live in FL though so I might just be a wimp LOL). The first day we got there it was 28 degrees ! Each day got a little bit warmer but I definatly couldn't wear anything except long pants jackets and long sleeves. The last day was the warmest which was Jan. 6th and it was like 55-65 out. Im really hoping it won't be that cold this time when I go b/c i felt like I couldn't stay out that long lol.

handmaidenofprincesses
10-30-2008, 07:39 AM
The first day we got there it was 28 degrees !

Oh my gosh, I didn't know it got that cold in FL...ever! It's 30 here right now and I'm not pleased, but only b/c it means I have to go scrape half an inch of ice off of my windshield before I can leave for school...

faline
10-30-2008, 12:37 PM
January weather is quite variable in Florida. You can have mild weather (think swimming) or downright cold weather (think mittens and hats) or anything in between. Be prepared for all of it.

Crowds are generally quite low (hence the shorter park hours) as you can cover more ground in a shorter amount of time.

TinkerbellT421
10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Congrats! We will be there from the 6th thru the 16th, you'll probably see us every single night at the hot tub on the boardwalk! We will in fact be there EVERY NIGHT! lol Me and DBF only go in January for many reasons. When we were there the last two Januarys it got as hot as 75+ during the day. At night is when it cools down which is really just longsleeve or sweatshirt weather at night. But during the day we were there in tank tops and shorts or capris and tshirts nothing warmer than that. When we left last year it was snowing here in RI and was about -3 lol....so when we got there it was a little "chilly" in FL terms as it was about 65+ in the afternoon and then for the rest of the week it wasnt lower than 70 atleast....The locals were cold when they saw us in our shorts and tshirts and commented about why we werent cold. And then we broke the news that we are from NE and used to it lol Oh yea and the rain issue....out of 8 days....it rained once and it was just a quick 10 minute downpour when we were at DHS....we do carry the ponchos though in our backpack just in case....But according to Brinbaum January is the lowest "rain" month of the year. And the crowds are not bad except for the weekends and the marathon weekend...ANY weekend in a park is bad news because locals go on the weekend...and marathon weekend is busy but other than that....We waiting no longer than 15 minutes for a ride and thats if there was a wait at all. :cloud9: