PDA

View Full Version : insurance

Minnie's Northern Friend
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Where to start?? Is it worth it??

Called our home insurance company and they said $500- for 7 people- 16 days...

brian2000boston
10-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I think this is 100% opinion based question. There is not a right or wrong answer. We normally do not but this time we decided too since we were booking a year in advance.

If you have medical issues, young children or some older people traveling with you, it may be a good thing in case of a last minute cancellation that is unforeseen. This is also good to have in case you have lost bags, medical emergency while on vacation, or many of the other items the policy may cover.

One thing to look into is your credit card. Sometimes if you book with a credit card this stuff may be included by your credit card company.

Also watch where you buy it. For example, we bought it through Disney. They told us regardless where we buy airline tickets it is covered under this policy, would have stunk if I didn’t know this and bought it again through the company I booked airfare.

Remember most likely you may never need it, so this comes down to what makes you comfortable.

Best of luck.

Disney Lynn
10-28-2008, 06:36 AM
We do not usually buy insurance when we travel to WDW, but we live in the USA and have complete medical coverage throughout USA.

However, when we cruise or leave North America, we do buy a policy for our trip that will give us medical (especially medical evacuation, in case our insurer doesn't come through), flight & trip cancellation, lost baggage, etc. We use a website www dot insuremytrip dot com that shows several different companies (you plug in your details and they give you quotes, plus the links to the actual companies). Most of the standard trip insurance policies use a combo of the total cost of the trip plus the age of the oldest person to calculate your cost. $500 seems excessive (whether or not that's CDN $ or USA $!!!)

Do you need it? Maybe not, if you will have some medical coverage at WDW (things do happen) and if you're able to recover most of your costs if you have to cancel.

brian2000boston
10-28-2008, 06:55 AM
$500 seems excessive (whether or not that's CDN $ or USA $!!!)

Funny i was thinking it only covered $500, good catch. But I just went and figured ours out for disney. It comes out to about $66 per adult since our little one is covered under us since he is only going to be 4 years of age. So maybe the $500 isn't off. I would check around and definately call your travel agent or disney, depending on who you booked through. I have never bought third party insurance so can;t provide you feedback on that. If only doing for medical reasons I would follow up on you Health Care Card, doesnt Canada provide you insurance to take with you on travel to US? Thought a friend of ours told us that.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
We got the travel insurance for $100 on our 10 day trip with three people....it was the travel insurance offered through Disney.....

TheRustyScupper
10-28-2008, 09:40 AM
1) I travel frequently - Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia.
2) I never travel international without supplemental health insurance.
3) I used to buy insurance per-trip.
4) Now, I buy the annual policy (about $1100 per year).
5) One incident and you could be in deep trouble.
6) In fact, some countries don't let you leave until medical bill is paid!

diz_girl
10-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm starting to get a little confused. It seems like some people are talking about travel insurance (recover plane ticket, hotel costs, etc., in case of cancellation due to medical reasons) and others seem to be talking about traveler's health insurance. Maybe the OP can give some clarification as to what insurance they're talking about.

CPT Trips
10-28-2008, 05:19 PM
1) I travel frequently - Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia.
2) I never travel international without supplemental health insurance.
3) I used to buy insurance per-trip.
4) Now, I buy the annual policy (about $1100 per year).
5) One incident and you could be in deep trouble.
6) In fact, some countries don't let you leave until medical bill is paid!

Or, until all bills are paid - such as buying a new moped to replace the one that you totaled.

I always buy medical evacuation and trip cancellation insurence for international trips. For WDW, I don't see it as necessary as we do not use packages . . . the worst case is losing the airfare.