PDA

View Full Version : Full resorts in Jan?

r4kids
10-27-2008, 06:35 PM
We are looking to add a few days to our ressies. Everything but POP and the deluxe hotels are booked up. What is the deal? Usually Jan is not this busy. We are looking to add Jan 16-21. I know this is MLK weekend, is that it?

dmallan
10-27-2008, 06:53 PM
MLK is traditionally more crowded.
Also, we found last January there were many foreign tour groups in the World. Didn't notice it too much in the resort, except for the food court, but the parks were way more crowded than we'd expected for a "low crowds" time of year. But that could be why many places are booked up.

thumperbug
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
As many posters have been commenting lately, there no longer seems to be a quiet season to go any more. I think right now the only true time where it is not busy is January.

Polynesian Dweller
10-27-2008, 11:07 PM
The other thing about this is how hotels in general work. Full does not mean they are renting every room. They may only be running with 70% (for example, could be more or less) of the rooms available to book (thus saving the costs of cleaning, power, etc.). Its based on how many rooms a hotel thinks it can reasonably expect to fill given the season and what is cost effective to keep open given a low season, shoulder season etc.

mulderxcoltrane
10-27-2008, 11:20 PM
The Marathon is the weekend of the 10th and the MLK Jr Day will pack the parks that weekend.

threeh
10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
I was going to echo what Poly dweller said. Just because there are not rooms available doesn't mean it's "full" I don't think they rent full capacity. We ran into no availability for our Feb 2008 trip and it was not crowded at all. Don't worry!!! :mickey:

r4kids
10-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I feel better. Will they open up the closer it gets to Jan?

FenwayGirl
10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
We stayed at ASM last MLK weekend and week. Not only was it holiday weekend, but WDW was also hosting the College Cheerleading and Dance Team competition. There was not a room to be had! Parks not too bad, but the resort was HORRIBLE!:mad: