PDA

View Full Version : Help! Just had surgery and leave for WDW in 8 days!

A Mouse Fan
10-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Why oh why does this always happen to me? I was admitted to the hospital last Saturday and had surgery on Tuesday for some female problems. They resolved the issues but I am still recovering from being in the hospital for 5 days and then the surgery. We are supposed to leave for WDW on November 5th for 9 days. I have planned this trip so carefully and I am SUPER upset. The doctors think I will be able to go but are unsure I can go on many rides because of the sutures. I am barely getting my strength back and don't know if I should cancel. We have 10 people going with us and I hate to let them down. Anybody go through this and what did you do? :(

disneychick62
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
i am kinda in the same boat...i had knee surgery 5 months ago and im still in pain. we leave november 9th and im a little worried i wont get around like i used to. im just gonna take it nice and slow. hope every thing works out for you. im gonna ask if i can have a room on ground level so i dont have to walk up and down steps....:( go phillies!!!:joy:

disneymom15
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't cancel, just take it easy. Maybe consider renting a scooter. I think a lot can change in 8 days. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better by then. Good luck and have fun.

BigRedDad
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I am not sure what surgery you had. I had my gall bladder removed and some non-cancerous growth on my pancreas removed back in July. I twas an emergency surgery as well. I was in recovery for 3 days. It took about 5 days to be able to move around normally. After about 7 days, I was almost back to normal except for forced new eating habits.

I say go. Enjoy other things besides the rides. Take things at your pace and let the others run off to where they want to go. with 10 people, you do not want to burden them and you also do not want to burden yourself, more importantly.

Cinderelley
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
My mother went after having her gallbladder out. She would hit the parks in the morning, then go back to the room and take a nap. Usually, she was up and ready to go again by dinner time.

Just remember to take it easy and not push yourself. You'll regret it if you do.

AuntDJ
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Rent a scooter!!!! You can have it delivered to your room! Do not feel guilty for doing this!

I had a hurt ankle my last trip and didn't rent one b/c of guilt....Of course, I made it through and still had fun! But just do it!!!

We have been with a scooter before and trust me, it is better to have and enjoy yourself, then miss out on this trip!

Rent the scooter and HAVE FUN!

DJ

Tinkerbellfan
10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Hello,

I would still go but take it very easy during your trip. If you are going with 10 people, I am sure they will understand if you need to take it easy and relax during your trip.

We have gone on some Disney vacations and relaxed throughout the trip and it was just as magical. We enjoyed a lot of the food, minature golf, time by the pool and less of the parks. And, the trip was just as magical!

oopsadaisy2003
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I would still go but be conscious of the rides that you can go on and the ones that really aren't a good idea. I have numerous health problems and I have enjoyed amusement parks for years. I had a liver transplant 10 years again and complications like high blood pressure, enlarged spleen, etc have made it impossible for me to ride some rides but I have always enjoyed myself.

I would also rent the scooter especially since you just had the surgery. You don't want to use all your energy walking through the park.

I hope you go and have a blast. :mickey:

SFTrny
10-27-2008, 08:37 PM
I can totally understand the disappointment, and if you need to postpone, then make sure that you do it in the spirit of Disney. No trip would be magical if the whole team isn't onboard. Our oldest daughter had surgery recently and is in a leg cast. We have had our trip planned for almost a full year, but now the cast won't come off until after our trip. We gave her the option of postponing the trip. She decided that, either way she'd still have the cast and that she'd rather have the cast at WDW than at home! We are all onboard with helping her around....and while we won't hit as many rides as we might, we will be at WDW having magic in a cast.

Renfairwedding
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
I have had three foot surgerys with the last this past Monday. Doc said I will be ok for my December trip but told me to rent a scooter. since I have had foot problems before I have always rented per day at the parks. This time I have a week rental.

So Go... but take it easy and ENJOY the (scooter) ride!!!! :thumbsup:

dtootsie42
10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
I would go! Pace yourself and take some down time to sit by the pool and relax. Rent a scooter and be very mindful of the rides you choose to enjoy. :mickey:

A Mouse Fan
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses :thumbsup: I took your advice, spoke with my DH and our WONDERFUL travel agent Wendy with Magical Journeys and they all agreed I need to go and just take it easy! If I need the scooter (especially in Epcot) than I will just rent it for that day. I feel like I am getting stronger but know I will not be 100% by next week BUT if I stayed home I would just probably work and maybe not rest as much as I will by the pool at the WL!
Thanks everyone for giving me the confidence to go and we leave next Wednesday...single digit countdown baby :yay:

AuntDJ
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I am glad you decided to you....

I also wanted to mention Animal Kingdom. It has the appearances of being an easy park, but there are alot of hills and really alot of distance between rides. My mother was getting ready for knee replacement and was like you....we rented when she was tired and thought she needed it.

By the end of our AK day she was exhausted~ just wanted to put that out there for you as Epcot is not the only huge park...AK has alot of walking.

Have fun!

DJ

threeh
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I had my gall bladder out via lap about 9 days before our 2006 trip. Just go slow, keep drinking fluids. WDW is a wonderful place to recover. No need to cook or clean!!
Best of luck:mickey:

A Mouse Fan
10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks DJ! You are right Animal Kingdom is quite large also! I may need to rent something for that park also. I really am just going to try and take it slow and hey if I need to sit by the pool all day than that's what I will do!

mudpuppysmom
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I think you have the right idea about gauging it day by day.....that is what I did in January. If we needed a scooter or wheelchair DH would have gone and got me one.....most of the time he and DS just left me on a bench (yeah, they left me and went without me!!) and came back later, or I called them to see where they were when I felt strong enough to move on.

Just take your time and listen to your body -- you will be fine if you do.

WeLuvBuzz
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Best wishes for a great trip. You may discover many new and wonderful things you never saw before.

mickeys_princess_mom
10-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Take care and have a wonderful time! I was just reading through and planning to ask how you were feeling now. Glad you're going! Enjoy--nothing like a little real pixiedust to help you bounce back! :pixie: