PDA

View Full Version : Cast member rate....how does it work?

momef3grls
10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
My DD just got accepted for an internship with the Disney chefs:thumbsup:. She will be there from May to November 2009. She said she is eligible for the cast member rate if we come down to visit...how does that work? Can you only stay at certain resorts or anywhere you want? Does it work with the dining plan? I figured I would come to the experts for answers. Thank you in advance for all help it is greatly appreciated.

Figaro
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
For resorts, the stay I think is like 60% off the rate of the room. I think something like 20% for food and merch. I don't really use my CM discount much, so I can't remember if that's the exact number. As far as the room rate, she must stay in the room with you for you to get the CM discount on the room. As far as working with the dining plan, I'd think so, but she has to be present with her WDW ID I think. I'm not totally sure, so don't take my word on the dining plan as golden...

ToraTory
10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
My daughter is currently doing a semester in the college program. There are two types of discounts she can get. One is 50-60% off and that is if the cast member stays in the room with the guest. The other is for guests staying without the cast member (most likely the one you would use as it is hard for cp's to get multiple days off) this is 40-50% off rack rates. Your daughter will need to show her ID at the resort before you check in. To make a reservation at the cast member discount the easiest way to do it is through the employee portal. There is also a phone number the cast member can call to make the ressie. It's pretty easy :-)

Let me know if you have any other questions about the College Program, both of my daughters have done it. My youngest daughter has done it twice :-)

-- tory

WDWFanatic
10-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Can't help, but I just wanted to say :congrats: to your daughter! You'll have to let us know how she likes it. It is the same as the college program?

momef3grls
10-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes, but hers is a specialty due to her degree program and the college she is attending (Johnson and Wales). The competition was very tight and they only take a couple of kids. When she called that she got it I was on :cloud9:. I am so proud of her she worked very hard to get where she is at. She is only 18 and in May she will be graduating with an associates degree and has the internship. The chef was very impressed with her portfolio and skills (she had to cook for them with ingredients they provided and she did not have advance notice what they were giving her).

TheMartellFamily
10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Many famous chefs have come out of Johnson and Wales. Congrats to your daughter and maybe one of the years we visit she WILL be known for her signautre dish at one of restaurants on site.
To visit her there will be a great honor for you too. Good luck with everything.

andreallybadeggs
10-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Congrats to your daughter. We have LOVED having a CM in the family and have benefited from her lovely discounts. Resort availability varies considerably but the above posters have given correct info re. the discounts. In the past few months we've been able to take advantage of the reduced dining plan offer, stayed at WL, + got discounted rooms at 2 mods for family. Free park entrance for family and friends is another great bene but there have been several dates during peak times which were blocked.

TheRustyScupper
10-27-2008, 08:50 AM
1) Cast Member room discounts
. . . 40%-60% if CM stays in the room
. . . 25% if CM doesn't stay in room
2) Dining Plan
. . . usually available for slow times
3) Booking & Timing
. . . must be booked through portal
. . . availability depends upon resort open capacity

TwoTinyWings
10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
We have booked quite a few times with the CM in our family. To echo and add to what ToraTory said:

- CM discount is either 50 or 60% if the CM stays with you (can't recall)

- CM discount is 40% if the CM does not stay with you

- CM must book the resort through the Cast portal (you might want to have her do this while you're on the phone with her - she can check availability of the resort(s) you're interested in and let you know what's available)

- the CM discount is available at every resort - it's just a question of which resorts have rooms available at the CM rate for the time you'll be staying there

- once you're booked, the CM must stop by your resort's front desk a week or so before you check in to essentially validate the reservation by showing their Cast ID (my brother usually does this the week before we check in) - this helps prevent misuse of the CM discount

- we've never used the dining plan, so I'm afraid I don't have info for you on that

- CMs can purchase discounted park passes (I think the discount might be 10%, but every little bit helps) at a Company D store

momef3grls
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
for all your wonderful responses. We are going to visit her in September because by then she will have her feet wet with how everything works. She is still bouncing off the walls with excitement. This was one of her dreams. As a parent this is one of the most exciting things you can ever witness.....your childs dreams come true. Disney is a truly magical place.

wildernesslady
11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
That is so exciting. Congratulations! My daughter is in her first year of college, and decided to wait until her Sophomore year to apply. Disney reps were at her school last week to take applications. She was tempted. I can't wait.

andreallybadeggs
11-01-2008, 08:46 PM
My DD went to visit the "career start" reps who were in our area of the country her senior year of hs. She did not really expect to follow through since that program was not the best fit for her but wanted the experience of a Disney interview and they were happy to oblige. 3 weeks later she was offered a job and had to call to turn it down since we would not allow her to put off college for a semester. Turned out fine because she was able to attend college in Fla. and has been working for the mouse part time anyway but that day she was on the phone was a tough one. She looked at me with a very forlorn face while she was on hold and said "Mom-- they're playing Winnie the Pooh. How can I say no?" Enjoy the experience with your daughter...we've sure relished the moments spent in the world with our special cast member. :mickey:

KathyMJ
11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Yes, but hers is a specialty due to her degree program and the college she is attending (Johnson and Wales). The competition was very tight and they only take a couple of kids.

We live very close to Johnson and Wales College. "Audrey's Restaurant" is a restaurant in my town that is run by the students of J & W's and it is fabulous!!!!!! One of our favorites. I completely understand how some of the best chefs come from that school!!!

Congrats to your daughter!!!

tigandpooh
11-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Congrats to your daughter. My daughter has applied for next semester and is waiting to find out. She does the phone interview on Tuesday. I'm looking for any details on this that you can provide. I'm really hoping that she gets in, she may be transferring to UCF next year,from Jacksonville and this seems like a perfect "bridging" period.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
That's what I did - I did the college program while waiting for my transfer to go through to UCF. LOL.

RedSoxFan
11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Congrats to your daughter. :thumbsup:

momef3grls
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Well today in the mail she received her official letter that she will be in one of the buffets. She does not know which one yet but she has a conference call set up for later this week so hopefully they will give her more details. Thank you for all of your congrats..she worked really hard to get here and we are so proud of her.