PDA

View Full Version : New Online ADR System

brian2000boston
10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
On my most recent call to Disney I had a very friendly cast member. During our conversation we discussed the new ADR system. She told me that the system has been in beta test and they had a trial run with select people. They also told me that it unfortunately crashed the server with the large number of requests at once.

The other thing the woman told me was that they may option to require a $$$ hold of some kind to help keep people from creating multiple reservations during the same meal time, cutting down on the number of reservations people make, allowing more of us to get into the places we like. If this holds true, i see this as a positive since this system would credit you back when you go to your reservation or cancel.

Anyway remember just because this was communicated from a cast member over the disney phone that this may not have anyfactual backing. But if it is right, i kind of like it. Thought this would be of some interest.

Sorry for the run-ons.

WDWFanatic
10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Online would be great, I hope it does happen. I also have no problem with giving a credit card to hold it. But would this put people out of work?

DisneyBabies
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
I think for a lot of people it is going to depend on the amount of $$$ they have you put down to make each ressie.

I already know I won't do ressies online if they are going to charge me for it. Even if it is refundable, you would still have to pay X in advance, and if you get the DDP like we do, that has to be paid for 45 days in advance. So you have all that extra money being held up and it doesn't get refunded until you either cancel your ressie or show up when you are supposed to. No way.

Now, if they are only going to charge the fee if you double book something, then that is fine with me, because we never book two restaurants for the same day and time. That fee wouldn't impact my family at all.

But to be honest, none of it is going to matter much if they don't figure out a way to keep the server from crashing.

r4kids
10-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I think for a lot of people it is going to depend on the amount of $$$ they have you put down to make each ressie.

I already know I won't do ressies online if they are going to charge me for it. Even if it is refundable, you would still have to pay X in advance, and if you get the DDP like we do, that has to be paid for 45 days in advance. So you have all that extra money being held up and it doesn't get refunded until you either cancel your ressie or show up when you are supposed to. No way.

Now, if they are only going to charge the fee if you double book something, then that is fine with me, because we never book two restaurants for the same day and time. That fee wouldn't impact my family at all.

But to be honest, none of it is going to matter much if they don't figure out a way to keep the server from crashing.

Think of the money being held as a little savings you receive for showing up at each ressie. I too don't mind holding ressies with a card provided it's not to crazy :)

brownie
10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
It would be nice to make those reservations ourselves. I think it would help to have more immediate confirmation on your reservation, so you can correct any mistakes you might make sooner.

SFD998
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I too like the idea of being able to make ADR's on line.

I'm pretty sure that I have already been asked for a CC to hold the ressie for some places, but I can't remember which ones. I suppose that it would be alright to ask for a CC number to place a hold as opposed to a fee for each location. I never double book so I won't have to worry about getting charged for not cancelling etc.

My concern is that for my upcoming trip in April I still can't make any ressies. If the trial run was a failure how much longer before they open it up to the old way or fix the new. If it reopens the old way then watch out! It's going to be nuts with all the people that have been waiting plus all the people that would be currently 180 days out and trying to schedule.

Dragongirlx
10-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Because I am living in the UK I love the idea of making reservations online and I am even willing to pay a minimal price for it.
At the moment if I want to reserve a restaurant before I go I have to phone a number in the States. This can cost a lot of money especially if I am on hold for a while. For example when trying to get tickets for MNSSHP I was on hold for 40 minutes and it cost £40 which works out at $60 at todays exchange rate. So Online reservations would not only save me time but money too

TheRustyScupper
10-29-2008, 12:02 PM
. . . I also have no problem with giving a credit card to hold it. But would this put people out of work? . . .

1) It is not planned as a credit card "hold".
2) It is a credit card payment.
3) A "hold" would do nothing to reduce same-day duplicate ADR's.
4) An actual charge would retard some abuse.
. . . if you go to the ADR, your bill is credited
. . . if you miss the ADR, you lose the money.
5) This is fair to everyone.

NOTE: As to layoffs, yes, it will significantly reduce the manpower needed to man the Dining lines. You do no think WDW would go through this expense simply for the pleasure of the guest? There is always a money motive.

comicguy
10-30-2008, 06:19 AM
I like the idea of on-line ADR reservations even with a "fee". The only problem that I have with it is the WDW website itself is very slow(I have e-mailed about this several times) and I think the on-line ADR's will slow it down even more.

VWL Mom
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
The other thing the woman told me was that they may option to require a $$$ hold of some kind to help keep people from creating multiple reservations during the same meal time, cutting down on the number of reservations people make, allowing more of us to get into the places we like. If this holds true, i see this as a positive since this system would credit you back when you go to your reservation or cancel.

I am all for on-line ADR's and would have no problem putting a deposit at the time of reservation. Here's the part I don't get, I do schedules for a little league organization. I use software that cost $19.95. If I try to schedule the same team at the same time, it gets bounced back. I'm sure Disney spends a lot more on their software. Why can't they require your resort confirmation number (or AP nbr) and only allow one of each meal per day?

TheRustyScupper
10-30-2008, 09:28 AM
I like the idea of on-line ADR reservations even with a "fee". The only problem that I have with it is the WDW website itself is very slow(I have e-mailed about this several times) and I think the on-line ADR's will slow it down even more.

1) The ressie system is through a third party.
2) To control web traffic, I can only assume that
. . . the Disney website ports the inquiry to the third party
. . . a new address for ressies goes directly to the third party

NOTE: Just remember, with open internet access for ADR's, you should be careful for what you wish. Even some of the IT guys I know fear this will be a cause of a lot of complaints. But, let us reserve our opinions until its release.

KylesMom
10-30-2008, 10:25 AM
It looks like I'm in the minority on this one, but I would rather speak with a live Disney representative to make my ADRs than do another thing on-line. I love the interaction I have over the phone with most of the CMs, and I can have things read back to me and confirmed, as well as answer any questions I may have about each place we intend to dine. :(

Yes, I am ready at 5:55 am the morning I can make my ressies with my cell phone in hand, all excited to be making my ADRs!

Not a big fan of putting down a deposit for each ADR I make (roughly 15), but if it will deter folks from making multiple ADRs or being no-shows, I guess I'm for it . . . that might be a really big chunk of change the month I make them, though (right before Xmas if they open up ressies for June).

Insanity Clause
10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't mind if they do it like Cindy's does it, just take the card to hold the rez and not actually charge it. If they charge you money for every rez that will add up if you are have a ts every night for a week or more. I think I will still just call in. I like actually having a live body to talk to. Call me old fashioned but there is a lot to be said for the human touch.

TheRustyScupper
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't mind if they do it like Cindy's does it, just take the card to hold the rez and not actually charge it. If they charge you money for every rez that will add up if you are have a ts every night for a week or more.

1) I think the fees will not be the dinner cost.
2) As the rumor goes
. . . there is a booking "fee", say $5 or $10 each
. . . you eat at the restaurant per ADR
. . . you get a $10 credit on your bill
. . . if you don't eat there, you lose the $10
. . . if you cancel, you lose your $10
. . . if you change to another ADR, you lose your $10
3) To me, that would be really fair.
4) It would also reduce fake or duplicate ADR's.

NOTE: I do not claim to know how the new system will work. I am simply repeating some of the rumors we are hearing. Who (other than Lamont Cranston) knows what system will be.

LarryBoy
10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Online ressies good :thumbsup: , fee bad :down: . For those of us who don't use credit cards, this will come directly out of my account. What if you're on the DDP? You don't need a credit added to your meal. You've already paid for it. If you stay for a week and have an ADR every night, and maybe you do a few character breakfasts. Now your looking at a possible $100 up front just to make a reservation. That's just wrong! :mad: There has got to be a way the system can allow you to reserve only one meal per time slot (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). I wouldn't even mind giving a card number and that being charged if I don't show up, but a fee for a reservation is just wrong.

brian2000boston
10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
There has got to be a way the system can allow you to reserve only one meal per time slot (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). I wouldn't even mind giving a card number and that being charged if I don't show up, but a fee for a reservation is just wrong.

I am hoping it is more of a hold and then charged if you do not use. But I think the biggest issue they are attempting to solve is multiple bookings. this issue is they can't limit per room. People make reservations who are going to be in the park, sometimes people in the room seperate for different meals or some invite guests to dinner not staying with them. The best way, i feel, is to charge them for not showing. Then they will not double book or not cancel. This would open up many reservations at places everyone complains they can not get.

Gator
10-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Let me guess. Everytime you make a ressie, you have to type in the hidden jumbled word....jy4nw7...and if you get the sequence wrong, you have to start over. I can see problems deveolping with this.

brian2000boston
10-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Let me guess. Everytime you make a ressie, you have to type in the hidden jumbled word....jy4nw7...and if you get the sequence wrong, you have to start over. I can see problems deveolping with this.

I hope not, shouldnt be an issue if they require a valid credit card.

DizneyRox
10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
What if you're on the DDP?
I don't see any need to differentiate this between a DDP guest and an OOP guest, for the reason below.

I wouldn't even mind giving a card number and that being charged if I don't show up, but a fee for a reservation is just wrong.That's what this is. It's a new revenue stream for TWDC. Not only will the phone reps be out of work, they will be making money on the system from those who don't show up. You hit the nail on the head, this is a fee for a reservation.

I actually see where they are going with this. People have been complaining they can't get a reservation anyplace. Well, you will be surprised at how open the dining locations will be. Most will probably just try their luck and see what happens. I think many will have success, at least until people don't get EXACTLY what they want and they will resort to the new pay version of the ADR system. This will, in turn, make more poeple have to use it, then it will become a way of life, everyone will learn to accept it and Disney will pocket the money.

They will have long since stopped paying salaries and benefits for employees, so that will be their initial return on it, and over the years, as adoption picks up, more and more return on their investment. A few grumbles along the way, but I'm sure there's a survey somewhere that said I don't mind paying a little more to be able to eat overpriced food in a cramped restaurant with a million kids screaming and couging all over my food.

TheDuckRocks
10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Good grief, we're going down for 10 nights next Dec. on the Deluxe DDP and will be making ADRs for 26 meals! Do you think they will let us apply those deposits toward the no longer included gratuties? And will they let you take the difference from what the tip would be and the $10 off your credit card? A $10 tip for a $30 breakfast bill is far more generous than I am. What an ugly can of worms this could become.

thumperbug
10-31-2008, 02:34 PM
The "rumor" I heard is instead of ADR's being linked to your name or phone # it will be linked to your reservation number.

The plan is to avoid people making multiple reservations for the same day/time/meal and then being a no show at some of them once they decide which they want to dine at. But I can see how this could be a problem if a party splits up and wants to dine at different places.

I also "hear" that when you check in, you will get a print out of all your ADR's day/time/# since they will be linked to your reservation #.

I also hear that the online system coming to life is just another "rumor".

Again...just "rumors". You know how those can be. Hey, I have my ADR's for my next trip....thats all I care about. :mickey:

brian2000boston
10-31-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think the intention was ever to charge you as a fee or increase the cost of dining or tipping, but as insurance to make sure the system is no longer abused. Once you make your reservation I would think the hold would either be credited to your bill or more likely back to your room or credit card at the time you go to the dining establishment or cancel the reservation. They want to make it easier for people to get into these places to eat.

I also see this would also benefit Disney in three ways.

1. It would cut back on employee time booking unnecessary reservations
2. It would allow more people access to the restaurants
3 It will fill them with actual paying customers by allowing empty tables to be given to walk ups and not remaining empty based on false reservations.

Anyways. Just my two cents!

Crow
11-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I wouldnt mind online. or a deposit.. hope it does cut down on the double bookings

adoptionislove
11-01-2008, 10:51 PM
It is a great idea. We had to pay for Cindy's Royal Table in advance anyway so why not online?:mickey: