PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century vs. All Stars

DisneyFr33k
10-26-2008, 08:01 AM
We just returned from a trip to WDW and our first time at Pop Century. We've stayed at All Stars Music our first trip as a family and All Stars Movies for our second and third trips.
Where would we stay next time: Pop for sure!!!:thumbsup:

Pop Check in:
We requested the 60's building, 3rd floor and not facing the pool. They gave us 50's building, 3rd floor, facing the pool. When asked if we could move to the 60's as requested, she said it would be a wait and unsure if there was a room. So we gambled and took the room as it was available so early (10:30am). :)

Noise:
The pool noise was not bad, and actually was convenient to see the kids playing.
All pool noise was quiet by 9:00ish.
The room noise was no worse that All Stars. You can hear toliet flushing, and periodic coughing fits from a neighbor.
Suggestion: they have a sound machine built into their alarm clock. However, it does not do white noise (beach, frogs, and chimes). Just turn the radio on to a static channel. That made all the difference in the world. Or bring your own sound machine.

Pops Positives:

Cleaner than All Stars
They've boxed in around the base of the bed so items cannot roll under and become lost
The comforter is made to hug the bed, so it doesn't fall off during the night as easily
Buses are dedicated to just Pop - no three stops to make like All Stars. Buses are empty when they arrive.
Gave us a free counter service for our family when our son's medication didn't arrive on time (he went to the ER the night before and had the on site pharmancy deliver the meds)
The Magical Express is under a shaded area. When we arrived to catch our bus to the airport, it was raining. So we appreciated the cover!

Pops Negatives

We didn't see an area to purchase half gallon of milk, beer etc like the All Stars has.
One of the smoking sections is right by the entrance to the arcade/gift store/dining area. Coming from the 50's building you really get innundated with the smoke. :sick:

Again, each resort has its +/- and each guest their own experience. However, being All Stars "junkies" now converted to Pop "junkies", we thought we'd share our observations.

Tbelle1976
10-26-2008, 09:36 AM
We have also stayed at All Star and our first time at Pop will be in Feb 09. I am really looking forward to it, as I have heard great things about the resort. I understand that it is a value resort, but we choose to spend less $ on accomodations so that we can spend more on other things, so the little bit more comfort as compared to off site is great.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-26-2008, 09:40 AM
:number1:POP!!!!!!!!! Dh and I are staying for the third time in 28 days.................We love it there!!! We requested the 90's this year.

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5:thumbsup:

mainemajor
10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Sorry that you did nor get all your requests :(, but I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at POP. We are heading back there in a couple of months. I beleive that you can buy milk, not sure about half gallons, beer and wine in the food court. there is a small section towards the back of it that has these. At least they did two years ago when we were there.

LandFan
10-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Pop Rocks!! We love it too - I can't justify spending any more for lodging when Pop fits our needs quite well!

In 30 days, we will be making our trek down to stay there again - our 5th stay! We have stayed at all-stars a couple of times in the past, but not since we started staying at POp :D

Belster
10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Just got back from Pop and loved our stay as well!

You are able to purchase beer and a half gallon of Milk. It is in the back of the food court by the bakery items. The milk is in weird container so at a glance you may not know it is milk, I think that the brand was TG Lee or something. The beer is above the milk. Hope this helps.

DISFREAKS
10-27-2008, 06:30 PM
We have also stayed at both and like Pop better. We also like the shopping area there better than the AllStars. We'll be leaving for Pop in 11days 18hours 3min and 15secs!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I will second the ability to buy 1/2 gallon of milk and the fact that it is in WIERD container... I believe it was yellow, and at first I thought it was OJ! You can buy beer and wine in the same area...

Tink#64
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
We stayed at ASMo our 1st trip & DS's loved it! They were big into Toy Story at the time & loved those huge icons there! Pop opened about 6 months before our 2nd trip so we wanted to check it out since it was all new! We loved it & it's now our WDW home! The bus service there is so much better to us than at the AS's! We just love the theming at POP & think it's just the coolest resort! We always purchase the 1/2 gallon of milk, I bring our breakfast items & we eat in the room before heading to the parks. Yes, you may have to really look for some of the items, but we too have purchased lots of extras in Everything POP! I've have found that if I don't see what I'm looking for, the CM's are always fantastic at helping us find what we need! :number1:

Always glad to hear another :thumbsup: for POP! :waycool:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Great! We are trying Pop for first time in December....

Bobby T
10-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Just got back from POP and had another great experience. (3rd time I've stayed there) The food court is excellent and the bus service is wonderful.

crmark1
10-29-2008, 09:15 AM
We stayed at ASM in 2005 and POP in 2007 and enjoyed them both. I liked the food court, outdoor bar, and the landscaping (more mature growth) better at ASM. I have to agree the bus service and the shopping area at POP is much better. We would stay at either again. Our next trip is April 2009 and since DS (age 4) is a huge Buzz Lightyear fan we are staying at ASM.:thumbsup:

handmaidenofprincesses
10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I stayed at Pop a cuple of years ago and really loved it. I can't wait to go back in January.

(66 days, 20 hours, 1 minute and 23 seconds!)

FenwayGirl
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I was just trying to make reservations for a trip next year and I was curious about Pop. I have stayed at all of the All Stars as well as a few moderates and deluxe resorts. We don't plan to spend much time in our rooms, so a value is perfect. I think I will give Pop a try:cloud9:

pooh0601
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Another great perk of Pop is that it's a central A/C unit, and not a wall unit like all the other values and mods(except Coronado).

Also, if you are looking for 1/2 gallon or gallons of milk or other beverages for the room, even though POP doesn't have it, the Hess Gas Stations(there are 3 of them on Disney Property), 1 is very close to POP(it's almost across the street from DHS entrance). And it's much less expensive than at Disney hotels too!

michelLe x3
10-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed Pop ! My DBF and I stayed @ ASS last year and I have stayed at ASM before too and we are trying Pop for the 1st time on our upcoming trip. I can't wait !!

Dedivah
10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
We will be at POP again in August of 2009.

We first stayed there in July of 2006 and loved it. The next time we stayed at Coronado Springs in 2007 but we are going back to POP. :thumbsup:

momof3+twins
11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
We just returned also. And we loved it.
The smoking section actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would.

DisneyFr33k
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
The smoking section actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would.

We stayed in the 50's buildings - which are the only ones that when walking to the dining area that you have to pass completely by the smoking area. When walking from the other buildings, you don't have to pass directly by it so the smoking isn't as bothersome. :sick:

Disneyfan1971
11-06-2008, 12:16 AM
My wife and I are planning on going in Jan 09...and I want to stay at Pop Century..How far is it from MK and Epcot? What kind of a wait should we expect in January?