PDA

View Full Version : What if You are Your Child is Sick?

DisneyFr33k
10-25-2008, 07:11 PM
We just returned today from a wonderful week at WDW :mickey:!! However, the day we arrived our son was not feeling too well ::ill:

FYI - there is a system of urgent care facilities under the name of Centra Care that will transport any sick Disney guest to and from their facility for free (ask for a pamphlet from any concierge). Be careful - during the weekends they have limilted hours. We found this out the hard way. When things got bad with our son, we ended up being advised from the front desk to contact 911 and have an EMT come transport him to the Celebration Hospital (used to be Disney owned - on the Disney property). The front desk transferred our call to the 911 system.

Within minutes, we had a security officer from our resort (Pop Century) and the resort manager in our room offering help. Another perk I wasn't aware of - the manager said the ambulance fee and cab ride back to the resort after we were seen were paid for by Disney.

Or son was fine after antibiotics were on board. We were just very impressed with the way our resort handled the situation and the little known policy (to us) that Disney will pay any all transportation to and from the doctor/hospital.

I hope none of you have anyone you are traveling with fall ill. But knowing what is available and paid for by Disney helps ease what could be a stressful situation.

Stay well and safe travels!!

oopsadaisy2003
10-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I also had to go to the ER during my last visit. The front desk at POP informed us and did reimburse us for the cab ride over to and back from Celebration Hospital.

Just another thoughtful thing Disney does for us! :thumbsup:

Donald
10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Disney magic: they definately have the system working to a "t"!:mickey:

I am happy to hear that all is well with your little patient!:thumbsup:

Tinksalot
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
So sorry to hear your son fell ill, but glad to know Disney took care of things fo you. The "Magic" just never stops. :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
The emergency situation we were delt with we were able to drive my mom to the ER at Celebration Hospital. Everything that we had to deal with this emergency that we had and a 5 day stay, we felt the the whole hosptial system was great. I wish we had a hospital like that here in the Chicago area( FYI I am in the medical field.) The staff was exceptional and we were told that they would take care of my mom and we should have fun at the parks and will keep in touch with us if anything changed. They did keep in touch with me and told me everything that was going on. It truly was a great hosptial that took care of my mom during a time and a place that we were unfamilular with.

During another visit, friends of ours son hit his head on the corner table and was bleeding quite profusely. It was during that time that time that their luggage was being delivered and she went out running in horror. The room was right next to the pool and the Lifeguard came running performing first aid while calling 911 and management came running too from main building at POP Century. The hotel paid for transfer to the hospital and then paid for the transport back to the resort. They asked if they needed anything else and they told them they had ressies at O'hanas and the manager took them directly to the Poly to meet us. The way everything was handeled in both situations was truly top notch and if anybody is worried for things to go wrong it will be ok you're at Disney. It is top notch service inside and out.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-25-2008, 09:23 PM
that's good to hear

Faver
10-25-2008, 09:24 PM
A few years ago, our son was sick, fever chills....the works! We were referred to Centra and they came and got us right away.. great service!

The only strange thing was that our son was given some type of "super" antibiotic! I've never seen an antibiotic take affect so quickly with my son....He took one dose around 8 pm and by 10pm, he was hungry and wanted to take awalk around PoP to the food court!!! The next day after a second dosage, he was @ 85 percent!!!!

Wow!!!!!!!

DisneyFr33k
10-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for all your kind words and sharing similar stories.

Be careful though. The EMT's only used the thermometer that you put in your ear - it read 99. My mercury thermometer read over 102. When I showed them this, they looked at me like I had three heads. They commented "I've never been able to read those". Once at the ER, they learned my son's fever was indeed over 103 and their ear thermometer is, like all mom's know, inaccurate.

mouseketeer mom
10-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Wow! Great everything worked out, and that is terrific information to be aware of. Thanks!!

pdrlkr
10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info!

Insanity Clause
10-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all your kind words and sharing similar stories.

Be careful though. The EMT's only used the thermometer that you put in your ear - it read 99. My mercury thermometer read over 102. When I showed them this, they looked at me like I had three heads. They commented "I've never been able to read those". Once at the ER, they learned my son's fever was indeed over 103 and their ear thermometer is, like all mom's know, inaccurate.

We use one of those ones that they have in the peditrician office's now where you swipe it across the forhead. This particular one seems to be extremely accurate but those ear one always read a couple of degrees less than what it actually was. I found it funny though that the EMT that helped you couldn't actually read a REAL themometer!

DisneyFr33k
10-26-2008, 12:24 PM
It was funny - I named them Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum because when I showed it to them and they both couldn't read it, one of them said to put it back in my son's mouth to see what it would read. Anyone knows who has a mercury thermometer you have to shake it down before using it again. And when I asked in the ambulance :ambal: why there was such a difference he said "we'll find out when we get to the ER" - almost like he didn't believe me. I feld validated when the ER nurse :nurse: told him my thermometer was correct. :rolleyes:

Belster
10-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Just got back from Pop, I wonder if the ambulance I saw a few days ago was for your son. I too was sick on our trip with a sinus infection, ear infrction and a very painful flair up of my TMJ. I should have asked for the urgent care. Next time now I know.

I am glad that it all worked out.

January-2007
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Thank you all so much for sharing, this is very good information to know! :mickey:

faline
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Never fun to have to confront illness while on vacation! I'm sure your information will be helpful to many in case treatment is ever needed!

Glad your son recovered well once he was treated!

wifey5794
10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I was there in June with just me, DD8 and DS10. I had a cold going down, but ended up with strep, ear and sinus infection. I chose to have the "House Doc" (whatever the name - but I did save their card) come to my room and eventually give me some antibiotics and then send a pharmacy over with more. I had taken the kids for STar Wars and my husband declined to go since we were just there and are going again Nov 08. I paid a larger fee, but it was nice to have them come to my room (I felt so bad that even the wierdness of them coming to my room didn't even bother me :) I didn;t want to ruin their trip since it was going to be swhort anyway. My insurance paid more than half, but I didn't have to worry about the kids coming along and catching something else at the Urgent care!

Just another option if you would ever need it!

DisneyFr33k
10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Just got back from Pop, I wonder if the ambulance I saw a few days ago was for your son. I too was sick on our trip with a sinus infection, ear infrction and a very painful flair up of my TMJ. I should have asked for the urgent care. Next time now I know.

I am glad that it all worked out.

My son was taken by ambulance Saturday night (Oct 18th) around 9:00-9:30 pm. It was our first night there, so he quickly recovered the next day with the massive antibiotics and enjoyed the rest of our week.
Sorry to hear you were sick - I'm glad to share this option with others so they won't suffer all week.

DisneyFr33k
10-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I was there in June with just me, DD8 and DS10. I had a cold going down, but ended up with strep, ear and sinus infection. I chose to have the "House Doc" (whatever the name - but I did save their card) come to my room and eventually give me some antibiotics and then send a pharmacy over with more. I had taken the kids for STar Wars and my husband declined to go since we were just there and are going again Nov 08. I paid a larger fee, but it was nice to have them come to my room (I felt so bad that even the wierdness of them coming to my room didn't even bother me :) I didn;t want to ruin their trip since it was going to be swhort anyway. My insurance paid more than half, but I didn't have to worry about the kids coming along and catching something else at the Urgent care!

Just another option if you would ever need it!

We were offered this as well, but the EMT's thought it be better for him to go to the ER so they could run additional tests. He ended up with labs and chest x-rays, so that was good for us.
Good to know someone can come to the room though!!!

tinkerbell04
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
A few years ago we had to take my DD to the Centra care for an arm injury. The doctors and staff there were great and she was treated quickly and I was satisified with the service. On another trip, she was sick with an ear infection and the house doctor came up and examined her and dispensed antibiotics. Both times, she was back to her old self quickly!

Mackflava99
11-06-2008, 12:39 AM
oh wow- it seems like an eventful time-

DisneyFr33k
11-08-2008, 07:39 AM
oh wow- it seems like an eventful time-

Yeah, we joke it was one "magical" ride we would prefer to pass on next time!! :ambal:

jonah'smom
11-08-2008, 08:51 AM
We too have experienced sickness while at Disney. But never needed Dr or ER services. Just little stomach bugs. But one good thing to note is that if you encounter something like that you can call the front desk and request Mousekeeping to change your sheets to keep from spreading germs while you are there. They will change them the next day.

Last year I was sick for a day while we were there, and we had already used our park hoppers that morning. I wound up staying in the room while DH & DS went back to the parks. I had chills & vomiting & I called the front desk & they brought up an extra blanket right away. Good to know when you're sick away from home, you can still be taken care of!

Way to go Disney!

mickey&missy
11-10-2008, 01:49 PM
When we were in WDW in March both my boys got sick. We used an oncall doctors service that the concierges at GF gave us the number of. I called and a doctor was at our room less then an hour later. He was wonderful! He spent over an hour with us, gave the boys their first dose of antibotics and motrin and ordered their antibotics to be delievered to the fromt desk at GF! It was a lifesaver!! Once they had the antibotics on them they were feeling much better and were ready to go a few hours later!!

DisneyFr33k
11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
antibotics to be delievered to the fromt desk at GF! It was a lifesaver!! Once they had the antibotics on them they were feeling much better and were ready to go a few hours later!!

Yes, it is nice having the antibiotics delivered. They only charge $5 for delivery. However, their first run begins at 9:30, so I calledthe pharmacy at 9:00 to be sure ours was in the first delivery and to my surprise they hadn't receive the fax from our resort (we arrived back from the ER at 3am, and had the front desk fax the perscription). So I quickly called the front desk and the re-faxed.

Also, the antibiotics didn't arrive by 11:00 as promised. Therefore the cast member at the front desk added 4 more counter services for free to make ammends.

I pushed the first three doses of antibiotics down him in that day and he was as good as new!

Kids do keep you on your toes!!