PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Space Shuttle Launch

Bringonthemouse!
10-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I know this was discussed fairly recently but I couldn't find the thread.:blush:

There is a space shuttle launch "targeted" for Nov. 14th @ 7:55 pm. Where is the best spot to view it? Since it is at night, will it be visible almost anywhere? We are staying at CBR, would it be best to just pull up a hammock and enjoy the show?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
:mickey:

thumperbug
10-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I saw it front the doors at the back of the lobby at WL and on the patio. I'm not sure where else it can be seen but that location seemed to be a great one. Came upon it walking thru the lobby and a bunch of people were running towards the doors and sky. I thought I plane had blown up by the looks of it until someone told me it was the space shuttle

henry.james.s
10-25-2008, 08:26 AM
I've seen several launches from WDW and it's great!! I once saw a day launch from Epcot.
You can see night launches for a longer period.
Like a huge roman candle. Enjoy it!!

Strmchsr
10-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Anywhere you have a clear view of the northeastern sky is a good place. You'll be able to see it, especially at night.

Marci
10-25-2008, 09:54 AM
The shuttle won't be launching until at least January or February. They are having difficulties with the shuttle, and they are not making it public knowledge. If you watch the website, it will keep being pushed back. It was supposed to be launched on October 8.

Dyanna
10-25-2008, 01:23 PM
The shuttle won't be launching until at least January or February. They are having difficulties with the shuttle, and they are not making it public knowledge. If you watch the website, it will keep being pushed back. It was supposed to be launched on October 8.

NASA website still shows the launch for Nov. I know this is subject to change but I too am keeping my fingers crossed in hope to get a glimpse of the launch.

Marci
10-25-2008, 01:39 PM
It's not going to happen, sorry. My Father in law is an engineer for the shuttle. We are supposed to be flying down for the shuttle launch. Jan/Feb at the earliest.

joelkfla
10-26-2008, 11:41 PM
There were 2 Shuttle launches scheduled.

One was to fix the Hubble Telescope, and it was indeed postponed indefinitely.

When that one was postponed, they moved up the next one to 11/14 (a different vehicle.) It is to add enhancements to the International Space Station, and the astronauts arrived at KSC just today.

Marci, maybe your father-in-law is involved with the Hubble one?

Ed
10-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Reinforcing joel's post - - there were two different launches involved, which resulted in the unusual situation of having two shuttles in place on two launch pads at the same time.

The November 14th launch is still on schedule.

It's the Hubble repair launch that has been postponed to an as-yet undetermined date.

Just an FYI... from WDW, don't expect to see much more than a thin shaft of light rising in the eastern sky, and that's assuming there's not heavy cloud cover between WDW and the Cape.

indytraveler
10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Just an FYI... from WDW, don't expect to see much more than a thin shaft of light rising in the eastern sky, and that's assuming there's not heavy cloud cover between WDW and the Cape.

Luckily its a night launch. If it is cloudy forget it. We were at WDW last October and we were watching the eastern sky all morning and missed it. Too cloudy. Luckily we caught a launch from the beach at Cocoa Beach. Noise is intense there.

threeh
10-28-2008, 12:25 PM
We caught a launch last trip. It was just really cool. I would check with the CM, they seem to know the best place to see stuff, maybe inquire on check in?? Enjoy!!:thumbsup: