PDA

View Full Version : Florida beaches

harlowandthemermaid
10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
So, we are adding a few beach days on to our WDW trip at the end of February and thought I'd get some recommendations.
We usually go to the beach near Boca Raton when visiting family but I am interested in another alternative, perhaps even a gulf coast beach.
WE like something a little more eclectic and toddler friendly as well.
Anyone have a recommendation for a beach/resort? WE had toyed with Vero but I think it is not quite in the budget.

mdhiggin
10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Destin area is beautiful, but I wouldn't swim in February.

laprana
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Sarasota is really nice! White sand beaches and pretty calm waters, at least from what I remember. I've been there a couple of times on vacation with my family, but that has been probably 15 years ago. I think we stayed at a place called the Half Moon Beach Club, and it was super nice when we were there. But, like I said, that's been a while.

ibrowse17
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
As I grew up there, I vote for Destin. I know it is a bit far from Disney, but it sure has what you are looking for. Check out a place like Seaside, which is east of Destin:thumbsup:

Katzateer
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi Mel!

Have you tryed Caledesi Island near Tampa?
It is a private state-owned park-island and is beautiful. You take a ferry to get to it. The girls always loved going on the ferry. Once you get to the island you can stay up to 4 hours. If you get on the Florida State Park site you can look information up on it.

We always get the first ferry-it is less crowded-I think it leaves at 10am. And if you want any food I would bring it-the little snack bar isn't that great.

And best of all it is just a little over an hour to get to WDW so it isn't a bad day trip.

Have fun planning!

Sportster
10-24-2008, 12:34 PM
My parents just moved to Bradenton (above Sarasota) last year and my wife and I went to visit them over the summer. We fell in love with the area. I'm not sure how it would be in Feb since we haven't been there in the winter yet, but I know alot of 'snowbirds' go there.

Bradenton Beach is on Anna Maria Island along with Holmes Beach. There is a free trolley/bus that will take you up and down the island. Alot of beach front restaurants with live music.

We got to see manatees swimming out in the wild...that was soooo cool!!

I tend to like the gulf side better. I can't wait to get back down!

elmjimmlm
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
If you are interested in going a little further south then Captiva and Sanibel Islands near Ft. Myers...This has to be the most beautiful quiet beach that I have ever been to...My aunt lives near there and that has to be the best beach vacation spot that I know...

teambricker04
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
We like St. Pete (that is where my DH is from) and sometimes stay at Tradewinds or Sandpiper. They are a little expensive, but I know there are several other hotels on St. Pete Beach that are reasonable.

I agree... anything from Tampa area down to Ft. Meyers is really nice.

We do Cocoa Beach area for a quick day trip.

PittFan
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
I lived in Largo, near Clearwater, and there are alot of nice beaches in that area. St. Pete's beach, Clearwater beach, Maidera beach & Sand Key (my personal favorite) are all in the same vicinity. John's Pass is also something to see. :mickey:

harlowandthemermaid
10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! This definitely gives me something to think about. WE always go to the east coast beaches since DH's father lives in Boca but I'm going with my mom in February so we have different options this time.

SallyP
10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Siesta Key, gulf coast Sarasota, is very family friendly. Large white sand beach with public pavilion and playground, drum and dancing gatherings in the evenings at sunset . Many rental units available also. You can walk to area restaurants. I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce, I just happen to live nearby. :)

DisneyDog
10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Vanderbilt Beach in Naples is really nice, and there are lots of shops and restaurants in downtown Naples. Someone mentioned that the water won't be warm in February. Well, the further south you go, the warmer the water will be. The Gulf in Naples is warm all year round. And, it's very calm and clear, which is great for a toddler. It's usually like bathwater. My DS used to love to swim in the Gulf when he was a baby and we lived down there.

MNNHFLTX
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
I want to second the recommendation for Siesta Key--it is a beautiful beach, with fine white sand and a gentle sloping entrance into the water and the necessary amenities nearby (restrooms, lifeguards, restaurants, etc.) There are also some lovely beaches on Anna Maria Island. Those two areas were our favorite to visit when my son was little. However, as you can probably guess, swimming will be chilly in February, with water temps in the upper 60's to low 70's. But it would still be great sand-castle building and shell-gathering weather. :)