PDA

View Full Version : Flying w/ an infant

mudpuppysmom
10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I have been thinking about this and I'm not sure what I'll have to do, but here is what I need to know (already confused?!?!?!).

We are flying down in December (me, DS#1 (6), DS#2 (will be 6 months), my sister and her two girls (3 and 10). Now, I bought flight tickets for myself and DS#1 but not a seat for DS#2 since I know he can fly sitting on my lap. My question is what do I do with his infant carrier?? And, yes, he'll still be in a carrier not just a carseat. He is starting to try to sit up now but not quite there and I'm not sure he'll be ready for an actual carseat, PLUS I'm not sure I'll be ready for him to be in a regular carseat......I can put him down in the carrier, but I can't just put him on the ground to sit while I do things I need to do with my arms.....

I thought of taking a baby bjorn and putting him in that instead of taking the carrier (but again, I'm not sure he'll be out of the car seat carrier). So, what do I do with the infant car carrier when we get on the plane?? I am pretty sure they won't let him **** up a seat if the flight is full (we're leaving on the last flight on the night and I'm not sure if they are normally full or not).

I really would rather check a car seat with our luggage and just take him in a stroller to the gate then gate check that instead of dragging the whole mess with me.

For those who have flown with an infant -- what do you do with their carseat carrier?? Do you take one??

I'll need some sort of carseat when we get there b/c we are renting a car (we are staying at SOG that night then checking into AKL the following morning, so we will need a car).

Sorry for the long windedness of this, but I've never flown with anyone who didn't have to have their own seat before!

Jodi
10-22-2008, 10:36 PM
It has been a long time since we first flew with an infant. I believe we checked the carseat at the ticket check in. I also believe the rental car companies do offer them for rent as well, so you may want to call them. Weigh the difference between the cost for checking it and the cost for renting it. Hope this helps.

peemagg
10-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Is the carrier one that hooks into the stroller? If it is you might be able to gate check both the carrier and the stroller. I would buy a bag that is big enough for both things though. It will keep them together and keep them clean. By gate checking them you remove some of the worry of if it makes it on the plane and where it gets placed. Gate checking it puts it as one of the last things put on the plane and helps to eliminate the possibility that some thing will be put on top of it causing damage to it.

DisneyLuvRSince76
10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
We flew a couple of times when DS was an infant. You just gate check the carrier and the stroller at the gate.

teambricker04
10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
We fly A LOT and have small kids... I am wishing that my little one was 6mo again... so much easier :) than the 17months he is now!

If you are fine not getting him a seat if there are extras, I say check it! If you are fine not having your stroller in the airport or straight away, I say check it! You can get some bags that are designed to be checked for strollers and carseats. BUT... if you want it and are doing ME, then gate check it. That way you will have your stroller right away. Plus, with the way airlines are with the cost of checked baggage, this may be a reason to gate check.

mudpuppysmom
10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
We are flying SWA, so they don't charge for two bags....so between me and my older DS we can check 4 bags plus have 2 carryons.....I think I'm going to gate check the carrier and stroller! I want to make sure it gets on the plane and hopefully does not get squished either. I'd want it for when we land too.....we will be landing at 10:20 PM so everyone is going to be zonked out -- I'll need all the hands I can get at that point I'm sure.

oopsadaisy2003
10-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I have flown recently with my twin nephews and we checked both car seats and strollers. The airline we flew did not charge for either. However to have access to the stroller I would also check it at gate.

thumperbug
10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
mudpuppysmom you have nothing to worry about with SW and gate checking a stroller. We pretty much only fly SW and always gate check our stroller. You just walk it on down the ramp to the plane and just before you board there is someone who will take the stroller from you. They have a special spot under the plane for gate checked items. When you get off the plane, just wait against the wall right off the plane (I think they call it gangway?) and the gate check items are brought up ASAP.

Make sure before boarding you go to the counter at the gate to get a tag for your stroller.

We have flown 6 round trips (12 flights) on SW with a gate checked stroller and never had any damage to it...and we didn't even put it in a bag.