PDA

View Full Version : Another Monorail Question

diz_girl
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
This is a technical question about the monorail.

I looked on Google Earth and I think that I could see how the monorail changes tracks for EPCOT and the MK express (outer) loop to go into the bays behind MK for servicing. It looks like the EPCOT monorail can change tracks onto the MK express loop just east of the TTC and the express monorail for the MK can change tracks near the MK bus stop area to go to the service bays behind MK. However, I can't see how the MK resort monorail (inner) loop changes tracks to get to the outer loop to get serviced.

So, exactly where does the monorail change tracks to go to the servicing bays for the MK resort (inner) loop? Also, if I am incorrect about the EPCOT monorail or the MK express monorail, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

DizneyRox
10-21-2008, 08:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think it's the same switch they use to get the monorail off the express loop. The monorail would go from the resort loop to the express loop, then it would back up ( after the switch resets to normal operation ) and then switch back to get out to Monorail Barn.

diz_girl
10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
That makes sense. So the switch can make the express track go either to the resort loop, or to the track leading to the servicing bay. I'll have to keep an eye out for it the next time that I'm there. Thank you.

DizneyRox
10-23-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm just guessing here, but I think it's one track at a time. Moving two tracks would make for a pretty big angle for the train to navigate.

So, it would go from the resort to the express, and then from the express to the service track. The train would have to get fully on the express track, move back into normal position, the train would go backwards enough to clear the switch, then it would switch again towards the service track and then the train would procede towards the barn.

I can't see any pictures of the actual switch, but it would make sense this is how it would go. The express beam would need additional support if it were one big movement, the angle would probably be too great to navigate without great difficulty, etc...

Monorail_Red
10-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, it's the same switch just outside the MK. The two beams move inward & lock on that small piece of the track that you see in the middle. A train on the lagoon beam would have to switch over to exterior before switching over to the spur to the shop.