PDA

View Full Version : disenyworld marathon?

like2workout
10-20-2008, 12:39 PM
does anybody have any disneyworld marathon information to share? i'm never done one before, and never even done a half. still i'd like to do it. i'm hoping it may seem easier since i'm at disneyworld! any thoughts?

SAHDad
10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Disneyrunning has lots of information, as well as plenty of people to assist in training. I have run the half and the full at Disney, and have some thoughts:

The pros:
1) It's at Disney.
2) It's generally well-organized, well-staffed, and well-marked - all big plusses.
3) It's a "flat" course. "Flat" means that while there might be some hills, on the whole, you don't run uphill or downhill for too much.
4) You run through all 4 parks, plus there are lots of characters and spectators around, including some characters that are almost never otherwise out.
5) Pretty decent expo before the race.
6) Generous pace times to avoid being picked up by the sag wagon.
7) The Mickey medal is pretty nice.
8) Did I mention that it's at Disney?

The cons:
1) Parts of the course (in the latter miles) can be quite boring, especially the road to AK, and between AK and DHS.
2) It can be quite warm and humid, or cold. Of the two, cold is easier, by and large.
3) Being at the start line by 4am pretty much prevents you from doing much the day before, and you might be too wiped out after the marathon to do anything that day.
4) Price. The Disney marathon is kind of on the pricey side.
5) Parts of the course are very crowded - the early miles are the worst - I nearly tripped over or ran into many people at Epcot, because it was so early in the race, and there were a lot of runners packed into a tight space, all running in the pre-dawn light.

It's a good first race, and a fun race to run otherwise, but unless you are in the first corral, you probably won't be setting a PR. But it is fun.