PDA

View Full Version : Winter in Florida - colder this year??

Dsnygirl
10-20-2008, 03:56 AM
I know we have the historical weather listed on Info Central, but I've been hearing "rumor" that people are anticipating a colder than normal winter in Florida this year. Is this a possibility, based on the weird weather trends lately, or do they have nothing to do with it? We will be there mid-December, and have anticipated mid-70's during the day, 50's at night, with maybe a warm "snap" up to 80. Should we be re-thinking this, and looking to buy things for our trip that are a bit warmer?? :confused:

Thanks....

Mickey91
10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
When we were there the first week of Dec. '06, it ranged anywhere from 80's the first day to upper 20's a couple of evenings. The bell hop laughed at us for all of the winter things we had in the car. We were cold even with our gloves, scarves, and winter coats. Starting the day we left, it was around 80 the whole next week.

Last Christmas we were there around the 21st and a light sweater was all we needed all night. So, it can vary widely. I suggest taking some warm weather clothes and then packing enough cold weather clothes to get you through if you do get a cold snap. Definitely pack those winter coats and scarves! And at least one pair of long pants and a sweatshirt or sweater. You just never know.

Sunshine1010
10-20-2008, 07:07 AM
December/January seem to be the 'unknown' months. Pack for everything. Buying sweaters for the whole family can be quite expensive. Dress in layers....then you have nothing to worry about. If you don't want to carry around the sweaters/stuff all day....get a locker.

I've learned my lesson ---- In December and January trips, I've had 85 degrees, and 29 degrees. (both during the day)....

Strmchsr
10-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Right now it is pure guesswork, but the pattern is set up for a colder than normal winter throughout the USA. We've had a few years of warmer than normal, now the pattern is swinging the other way. Sure this may not pan out, but given the amount and depth of cold air over Canada right now, the record lows and snowfall already seen in some places, and several other factors it seems a good possibility. However, you can't plan anything for your trip based on long-range speculation, nor on the last 4-5 years of data or info from folks on here who have been in the last 4-5 years because the pattern is different this year. Honestly, just wait until we're within 16 days of your trip and the models will at least begin to show a trend for that time period. At 7 days out we'll know for sure what to expect. So just hang tight!

BigRedDad
10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Farmer's Almanac is predicting a colder than normal winter with record snow in some areas. To put things in perspective for WDW, we left Boca Raton at 5AM and 70 degrees. 3-hours up the turnpike, it is 40 degrees, windy, and gray. Not too good when it is a day trip with a Middle School and everyone is in shorts and t-shirts. Weather can change quickly, drastically, and unpredictably.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm cold.

But I'm a native Floridian, and therefore, anything below 70 is freezing.

But to answer, yes, it's been getting colder here - by any standards.

btharvey
10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Layers.

Don't take your winter coats (unless you need them back home anyway). Take spring/fall jackets ... add hoodies, sweaters, whatever adds to keep you warm. And to manage all that in the parks ...

Backpacks.

Then you'll be just fine.

Dsnygirl
10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
However, you can't plan anything for your trip based on long-range speculation, nor on the last 4-5 years of data or info from folks on here who have been in the last 4-5 years because the pattern is different this year. Honestly, just wait until we're within 16 days of your trip and the models will at least begin to show a trend for that time period. At 7 days out we'll know for sure what to expect. So just hang tight!
Sigh.... I know.... I'm just such an inveterate planner that I'd like to buy what we need now and not panic right before we go when I don't have what the weather calls for. I've got tons of warm weather stuff, not so much "cooler & Christmas'y"... oh well, guess I'll just find stuff and keep the tags on!! :blush: Thanks so much for the overview!!

Thanks to everyone else, too... keep the comments and advice coming, I can't be the only one out there looking ahead! (right?? ;))

glenpreece
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I was going to ask this same question. But having been in Jan 3 times I figured it was going to be much of the same type of weather. I'd like it to be cooler this time. I hate the humidity!!!!! I have curly hair so heat and humidity make for bad pics.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-21-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm cold.

But I'm a native Floridian, and therefore, anything below 70 is freezing.

But to answer, yes, it's been getting colder here - by any standards.

agreed! lol...the past 3 mornings I have worn a heavy sweatshirt...

hardingella
10-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Feb 06 i remember having days in the 80's but most days mid 70's, nights got a little chilly.
Feb 08 was colder, we were in Disney for 17 days and only remember 1 or 2 days in 80's, mostly mid 60's - 70's.
One day it was so cold even the life guards at POP were wearing thick winter coats.
On the bright side, it didnt rain much!

mickeys_princess_mom
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm trying to plan way too far ahead, too, for mid-December. Just be ready for anything! I've hunted both shorts and sweatshirts/blankets on previous trips! :shrug:

bmj721
10-21-2008, 04:02 PM
We will be there Dec 5-15 this year. Coming from up near Chicago, anything more than 32 degrees F, will be better than what I am leaving. I agree that winter coats are not optimum. Layers are better. Then as the air warms just peel away and place in a back-pack. I can't wait! 45 days to go.
:mickey:

tigger24601
10-22-2008, 05:39 PM
as a south floridian i'm wondering this myself, and it has nothing to do with vacation planning.

currently it has been absolutely beautiful down here, winter weather for us. it's been in the low-mid 70's all week. so i'm hoping this is only a sign of times to come. a cold winter would be soooo nice.

r4kids
10-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Sigh.... I know.... I'm just such an inveterate planner that I'd like to buy what we need now and not panic right before we go when I don't have what the weather calls for. I've got tons of warm weather stuff, not so much "cooler & Christmas'y"... oh well, guess I'll just find stuff and keep the tags on!! :blush: Thanks so much for the overview!!

Thanks to everyone else, too... keep the comments and advice coming, I can't be the only one out there looking ahead! (right?? ;))

We to are going in Jan 6-I don't know yet. I am very patiently waiting :wait: for the P&PP dates to come out. I can't decide when to come home until these dates come out. Hopefully it will be any day now! We decided to drive down since we'll be packing such a wide varity of clothing. We'll be leaving freezeing temps here in WV so it's got to be a little warm down in FL :)

diz_girl
10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
We'll be there in December too and, based on our experience at WDW in late Jan-early Feb 07, we will be bringing a combination of warm and cool weather clothes, expecting a little of both, and probaly dressing in layers. That trip had cold weather at the beginning of the week (needed winter coat, hat and gloves) and warm weather at the end. If it stays either warm or cold throughout the trip, we'll just do a load of laundry mid-trip. Of course, we'll be checking the weather forecast right before our trip, but ten-day forecasts are always the most accurate.

Since you'll be traveling from NY, you should have your winter coat, hat and gloves with you. Just bring two heavy sweaters or sweatshirts with you, as well as some warmer pants, in case you have a few cold days. You can always re-use your warmer clothes (it's not the end of the world) or do a load of laundry mid-trip if it stays cold throughout your trip.

bmj721
10-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I went to NOAA's website. Very interesting and informative. They are predicting a slightly warmer winter. For Nov-Jan they are projecting 70.6-57.5 span. Let's hope they are right.
:mickey:

thumperbug
10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, if past experience is any indicator....on our last 6 trips...the weather the entire time for all was unseasonably warm as the weather folks said. The months included Dec (twice), Feb, March April and June...Not once on any of those trips day or night did we ever have to throw on the warmer gear day or night. It is just a freak thing with our family.

So, if any one is looking for weather 10 degrees above the normal for your next trip.....go when I go...Oh, next trip is Feb 09

Ed
10-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Just a little FYI...

It's presently 48 degrees in Orlando.

:freeze:

Sunshine1010
10-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Oh my goodness....I just left Disney on October 11th, and it was 90 degrees at 10pm (and also at 9am) and 99% humidity.

eandrsmom
10-28-2008, 08:27 AM
We're in south Louisiana, and we're in the 30's this morning. Very much not the "norm" for us this time of year. If this is any indication of how Disney will be in December, we're bringing warm clothes!

mdhiggin
10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
South Georgia is 39 degrees this morning, and that's crazy cold for October here.

tigger24601
10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
soooo excited about cool weather!!! i'm glad i hit the character warehouse 2 weeks ago and picked up some cheap disney world sweaters for dd. our trip is in 19 days and i can't wait!!!

we're in the miami area and the ac has not kicked on once today. we have a digital thermostat set to 78 and it has read the temp inside at 74 for a while now.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
*cries* I'm freezing!! I hate cold weather....

michelLe x3
10-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I live in West Palm Beach (2.5 hrs from orlando) & the passed couple of days its been freezing (to me lol) I HATE cold weather and anything under 70 is tooo cold for me. I was just in orlando on the 26th and 27th & it was pretty cold. My next trip is Jan 1-7 & I'm reallllly hoping it's not gunna be freezing like last Jan. I went the same dates last Jan. and it was 23 degrees one of the days. I couldnt even stay in the parks for long b/c it was wayyy too cold & i was wearing multipple layers of clothes. Hopefully it wont be that cold this time b/c i want to be able to spend alot of time in the parks w.o being miserable b/c of the cold lol. One of the nights it was like 25-30 out & i saw people in the pool :jaw:

Ed
10-29-2008, 07:47 AM
43 this morning in Orlando. :freeze:

New record low for the date, October 29th.
:winter:

glenpreece
10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I live in West Palm Beach (2.5 hrs from orlando) & the passed couple of days its been freezing (to me lol) I HATE cold weather and anything under 70 is tooo cold for me. I was just in orlando on the 26th and 27th & it was pretty cold. My next trip is Jan 1-7 & I'm reallllly hoping it's not gunna be freezing like last Jan. I went the same dates last Jan. and it was 23 degrees one of the days. I couldnt even stay in the parks for long b/c it was wayyy too cold & i was wearing multipple layers of clothes. Hopefully it wont be that cold this time b/c i want to be able to spend alot of time in the parks w.o being miserable b/c of the cold lol. One of the nights it was like 25-30 out & i saw people in the pool :jaw:

LOL they were probably Canadians like me!! Although I didn't go for a swim i was wearing sandals one evening while all the CM's were bundled up and the photopass photg had a hats and mitts on. He says "Are you crazy it's freezing and your wearing sandals???" My reply was "This isn't freezing this is spring weather." It must've been about 38- 40 F.

michelLe x3
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
LOL they were probably Canadians like me!! Although I didn't go for a swim i was wearing sandals one evening while all the CM's were bundled up and the photopass photg had a hats and mitts on. He says "Are you crazy it's freezing and your wearing sandals???" My reply was "This isn't freezing this is spring weather." It must've been about 38- 40 F.

LOL yeah I also saw people wearing shorts and short sleeves when it was 28 degrees out ! I was in shock but thought they probably came from somewhere that was actually freezing like below 0 so they probably liked it.

Polynesian Dweller
10-29-2008, 09:07 PM
*cries* I'm freezing!! I hate cold weather....

Then you'd really hate it up here right now. As I right its 2C or 35F and forecast to be -5C or 23F overnight. That's why we Canadians will swim in Florida when its 'Floridian' cold. That's right, we're tough.:D

mudpuppysmom
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
43 this morning in Orlando. :freeze:

New record low for the date, October 29th.
:winter:

That is shorts and t-shirt weather!!! Just kidding......shorts, t-shirts and a sweatshirt though -- for real!

Not that I'm from the upper north, but we just have thicker blood up here: :D.

And, I plan on swimming in December when we are there!! I know for sure DS will want to swim!!! He was in our pool just two weeks ago and the temp was like 62 or something crazy like that -- and he's 6 years old!! Future polar bear swimmer!!:blush:

Really though -- I do hope we have 70's during the day while we are there Dec 9-16.....if it gets in the 40s at night that will be OK, it'll be chilly, but OK.

Marilyn Michetti
10-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Sometimes, I think I've NEVER been this cold. I remember Dec. of 04 as being arctic. I looked like a mummy in hat, gloves, wool jacket, (from Mexico), and still froze. I'll take that over hot and humid any day, though, and the fact that we're in Disney, just sweetens the feeling, (or lack of).:freeze: