PDA

View Full Version : 18% Automatic Gratuity

oopsadaisy2003
10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
We will be visiting for a week in Nov with 5 adults, 1 child and 2 infants and using the DDP. When I made dining reservations, I was told an automatic 18% gratuity would be added to our bill as we will be a party of 8. I don't have any problem being gracious with a tip but has any noticed that the wait staff isn't quite as attentive when they already know what there tip will be?

disney100%
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
We will be visiting for a week in Nov with 5 adults, 1 child and 2 infants and using the DDP. When I made dining reservations, I was told an automatic 18% gratuity would be added to our bill as we will be a party of 8. I don't have any problem being gracious with a tip but has any noticed that the wait staff isn't quite as attentive when they already know what there tip will be?

We will be there next week with a party of 10 and were told the same thing. I hope that doesn't happen, but I'll let you know our experience when I get back.

faline
10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
On our last trip, we were a party of 2 and the 18% gratuity was included on a number of occasions - not sure why as it wasn't always included.

Overall, I don't think it changed the quality of the service much - good servers are good servers regardless and those who aren't as good, just aren't - whether they are well tipped or not!

SFD998
10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Back when the dining plan inlcuded the gratuity regardless of party size I never really noticed a difference in how attentive the wait staff was. As previously mentioned if you are good then you are good and if you are bad then you are bad.

I was quite disappointed when the tip was removed from the plan. I really wish it would get added back in so that I don't need to have the cash on hand . I know it is a stretch, but I could probably find someplace else (in Disney of course) to spend that money.:hmghost:

Phantom of the Park
10-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I did notice a difference. But we did have some outstanding service at the Coral Reef, 50's Prime Time and Le Cellier. At 50's Prime time we had a party of 12 that was split between 2 tables with 2 different servers. My table had Elizabeth who was awesome. My wife was at a separate table and had Nicole who was the WORST WE EVER HAD AT DISNEY.She could barely be bothered to wait on them, while Elizabeth was very interactive with us( she did'nt like milk and when my Mother in Law wanted a refill she was first refused, then elizabeth brought it out with a lid so she would'nt have to look at it). I also did'nt like having to pay 18% for the buffet.

bkfree
10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Our last trip on the DDP, the tip was still being automatically added and we had great service everywhere.
But I am glad that this time, it will be up to our discretion.
When we dined at buffets, I am not sure our server quite earned the same as at the other TS places.

Disneyfun
10-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Warning.... :rant:
Our first experience with the DDP (tip was included then) was that most of the servers were more concerned with volume instead of quality. At 90% of the TS restaurants, the server would ask for the ENTIRE order up front at once. Drinks, apps, entrees, and dessert!! :mad: The general dining experience that one would get at the Olive Garden wasn't there, let alone the Disney Magic!
To make matters worse, the servers very rarely came back to check on anything and server assistants ussually delivered the food.
I ussually judge the tip on how attentive the server is to my drink refills as I tend to go through a bit of soda in a meal. At most of the TS that we had in that trip, if I got one refil, I counted my self lucky.
The worst was Concourse Steakhouse where the server took the entire order and was not even seen again till we were almost done with our meal when she came up to find out if our food was to our liking!!! I couldn't believe it! The place was empty and there was just DW and I.
Now, this was when the free DDP was just first introduced and I would hope that the wait staff has been better trained since then.
If I were to go on the DDP again, I would expect this type of expereince again and would hopefully be pleasantly surprised!

KylesMom
10-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Being members of the DDE (or as it's now called "Tables in Wonderland"), an 18% gratuity was supposed to always be automatically tacked onto our TS bills this past trip. Oftentimes, we tipped more than the 18% due to good service.

We ate at least one TS each day - everywhere from The Plaza Restaurant with a $42 bill to an over-the-top LeCellier dining experience which almost topped $200 for the three of us. On only three occasions did we find the service really lacking - Tony's, Whispering Canyon and Garden Grill. I think that these examples were from an unseasoned waite staff instead of an inattentive server who "knew" they were going to get a minimum 18% tip. On two separate occassions I put in Guest Comment cards on how wonderful our waiters were at Mama Melrose . . .

We actually had a few servers who told me flat out that they were not comfortable adding in their "automatic" tip to the bill and told me to tip what I thought their service was worth. In each instance we could not have asked for a better waite staff.

Of course, for these ladies, they got more than 20% by saying that!

DizneyRox
10-17-2008, 07:29 AM
The words "automatic" and "gratuity" should never be used in the same sentence. Drives me crazy!!!

Knowing that the tip will be included, you now should make sure that the service is worth the tip. I would not think twice about asking for a manager the first second that service isn't what it should be.

The "automatic" tip can and should be reduced for unacceptable service.

yjgirl32
10-17-2008, 07:58 AM
I am a little shocked that your considered a table of 8 with two infants who won't even be ordering off the menu.

I agree that the tip should never be automatic- especially in buffets. I would still give a tip to the waiters/waitresses but certainly not 18%. We are going down in Sept of 09 (320 days yet to go!- sorry a little excited) and if the service is not up to my standards I will defiantely being asking for a manager.

Hope all goes well.

Insanity Clause
10-17-2008, 08:46 AM
I think the only way to combat bad service is by the tip that is left but with the larger parties that isn't an option. I will be in a party of 7 our trip so the gratuity will be there so there is no option. I think we just can't stand for shoddy service. If they are not being attentive without reason i.e. really packed house and understaffed then we need to complain to the appropriate people about it and not wait till be get back to our homes. I am not one to complain to managers and the like without reason but it seems if they just kind of leave you on your own that is hardly service and needs to be dealt with.

DisneyBabies
10-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if you don't agree that your server deserves the amount of gratuity that is listed on the bill, you can leave them what you feel they deserve. Is this wrong? How can they tell you how much gratuity to leave when they don't know what kind of service you received?
I'm sorry, but no matter how large or small my party is, I will decide what amount to leave as a tip. I have no problem giving 18% (or more at times) for a tip, but I'm not going to pay for service that I didn't receive. And maybe if guests put their feet down and say 'You get what I feel you deserve', some of the wait staff that slacks off because they know their tip is guaranteed will begin to realize that nothing is ever really guaranteed and will start working for the tip they want. I've read a lot of stories about people receiving bad service and paying the 18% anyway, but that just encourages the bad servers to continue the bad service because they will get their tip anyway.
I'll get off my :soapbox: now!

DizneyRox
10-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Infants, etc count towards the party size because they take up a seat in the restaurant. While you won't be charged for the meal, they are taking up space, etc.

If you don't mention them at the time of the reservation, you will probably have difficulty when you arrive. A table for 4 seats 4. Try to pull a high chair up and you're blocking isles, etc, which is a fire code violation.