PDA

View Full Version : Nickelodeon Suites?

FatherForce
10-16-2008, 02:37 PM
We are driving down for a 5 night stay from 1-5 to 1-10 at POP.

My 9yr old daughter has become Spongebob crazy, so we thought we'd head down a couple of days early, go to Universal and stay at the Nickelodon Suites hotel?

Anyone every stayed there?
Is it worth the $$$?
It seems pricey to me for a Holiday Inn.

eeyoremom
10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Stayed several years ago, before it was Nick hotel, It was Holiday Inn Suites. We loved it. Very large, very nice suites. The water area was already very nice, and now it has all the Nick features. I think well worth the money. Sign up for their emails. They often offer specials. Also, don't be afraid to call the hotel direct and ask if there are any specials. We really enjoyed the hotel, and even consider going again, even tho we are 2 adults alone now. Have fun!!!!

Verolovesdisney
10-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello!

We stayed here back in 2007, so the hotel was a "nick" at that point. Here are my thoughts:

Room - There was 6 of us in the room; me, wiffie, my mom and dad plus our daughter (6) and son (3). We had one of the two-bedroom kids suites, so queen bed in the private room, bunk in the semi private kids room and pull out queen. Was a little cramped, but still ok even for 6 people. Room was clean, beds were comfy and lots of towels and stuff. My only dissapointment with the room is that they seem like they are far more "themed" when looking at their website. We did not pay extra for one of the sponge bob rooms (I think it's ridiculous that they do that:confused:), but I think overall, all the rooms are themed the same, only the caracters change.

Pools - Well, where to begin. Let's just say that you may have a hard time getting your kids to go to Universal;). Really outstanding set up, pool and water slides seemed really clean and lots of life guards. One thing you may want to check is that they sometimes close one of the pool/water slide play areas, and that's what happened to us. The bigger side was open, so was not that big a deal.

Other Stuff - There are a few free activities( mini-golf, basketball), but most everything else costs money, and lots of it. My daughter got her hair braided (not my idea...) and it was quite overpriced. We did not however do/see any of the "shows" at their Studio Nick, so can't comment on those.

All that to say that we did enjoy are time at the Nick Hotel and would go back again.

Send me a PM is you have any other questions or talk about Universal Studios.

Richard

Piglet822
10-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Just an FYI to the OP, Nickelodeon Family Suites is on Universal property, it's not even near Universal property (it's about a 15 - 20 minute drive).
It's located across the street from the Marriott World Center (the big Marriott you see on the way to/from the airport) and 1 1/2 miles outside the WDW gate.

sardanem
10-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I actually won a free night at Nickelodeon hotel last year. It was a strange situation. My parents live about 2 1/2 hours South of DW and on a spur of the moment decision, in February, I decided to fly down with my 3 kids and stay for a few days. When I realized how close we were to DW, I said there was no way we could go to Florida and not take my 5 year old. She had never been there. My other 2 kids had been there 3 times already. So, we didn't make reservations anywhere. Not for a hotel or buy DW tickets. We were going to drive up, go to MK, find a cheap hotel that sleeps 6, go to DHS for 1/2 the next day and Epcot the other half. We were going the first week in March. Anyway, the end of the week, right after I bought our plane tickets, I went to a Tricky Tray and I won one of the grand prizes. It was 4 1day hopper passes and 1 night at the Nick Hotel Suite. It was great. I actually booked another night because I knew the kids were going to want to spend the day there. I also somehow got wrist bands and the kids ate for free there. Needless to say, we did enjoy it a lot and the kids loved it. We got autographs for all the Nick characters in our book as well as Disney ones.

Lisa

luvkatiebug
10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
I am a Disney purist at heart, but we also decided to add a few days at the Nick hotel after our last Disney trip b/c I figured it would probably be the last time my kids would still be in to it. Anyway... my kids (2 girls, age 4 and 8) would probably tell you that was their favorite part of the trip. Having their own sponge bob room was very cool to them, and the pool is beyond amazing!! We saw characters everywhere, and my girls really loved the craft activities during the day. There is so much to do there, we didn't go to any of the parks those 2 days. You should definitely try it! Have fun!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Just an FYI, it's still a Holiday Inn. A close friend of mine's former boss is the GM there and has told him anytime he wants a job, it's his. I haven't stayed there but have gone by it and it looks very cute.

NJFLMom
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a mom from nj and I'm planning a trip to Orlando for my son's 5th birthday. Has anyone taken advantage of the Nick Hotel's Best Birthday Present Ever promotion? Does anyone have any advice regarding this? I think if it is a guests birthday you can get a nights stay for free. I think this would be perfect for my son since he loves the Nickelodeon channel. Thanks!

CaraMiaO3
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
We went to the Nick Hotel the weekend before Halloween last year. It was myself, my husband, my 6 yr old, and another couple with their 6 yr old. We got a 2 bedroom Spongebob suite to share. The room itself was clean enough, beds were comfy, pillows were comfy. The living area was a little small but for two nights it was adequate. The pull-out sofa was HORRIBLE. You could feel every spring. The mattress was soooo thin. We brought along a cushioned mattress pad luckily which helped.

Aside from the pull-out sofa we had a few problems. The food at the dinner buffet was horrible. After eatting there we decided to eat breakfest at Dale Evans restaurant the next morning and dinner at Landry's that evening. The room had a horrible humidity problem. All the clothes we hung up in the closet were damp when we went to change into them. Even the dressers and blankets had moisture on them.

The worst thing though was we had problems with the lifeguards at the pool. They allowed smaller children to go down the slides without vests, but decided that our kids, who mind you were ALOT taller than the others, couldnt. Our kids can swim very well on their own. They allowed babies in the hot tub...but not our 6 yr old boys. Long story short, the kids ended up sad and teary over the whole event. My friend and I ended up having words with the teenaged lifeguards and then we went to the GM. He was apologetic but really did not solve the problem. He offered us a free night to use in the future as well as extended our late check-out to whenever we wanted. We were so unhappy with the resort that we did not use the free night (it expired this past weekend) and we have intentions on going back there.

We also felt they did not offer enough activities on bad weather days. The few they did have were geared towards girls. And the pools were not heated as they should have been. My son's lips turned purple and his teeth chattered. They advertise as if this hotel has enough to do so you dont need to go anywhere. We definitely did not think that.

We would much rather stay at a disney resort then here.

FatherForce
10-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks all for the input.

I do know that Universal is 10 to 20 minutes away.

But, my daughter has her heart set on staying in a Sponge Bob room, so.....